Thread: PCMCIA alternative to original airport card?

1. #1 PCMCIA alternative to original airport card? 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    well, since the original airport card is so scarce right now, it costs a whopping 80 - 100$ , which is too much for me since i just spent $400+ on the 2 ibooks i got. Does anyone now of a 802.11b pcmcia card that is compatible with macs? or perhaps a small usb dongle thats mac compatible?Ive seen people use pcmcia cards in teh same airport slot, by stripping them doen so they can fit, but i dunno.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    theres usb wireless adapters, they look like thumb drives, and all you do is stick it in the usb slot and configue it
    R.I.P Zoidberg

i know usb wirelss adapters are but im looking for a solution that would not affect how good teh ibook looks, the max i would go to is buying a very small sized usb adapter, so far from what i have seen mot are huge compared to teh small size of teh ibook. another question, are all usb wireless adapters mac compatible?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    a lot of devices that don't say if they are Mac compatible, are Mac compatible. OS X can make stuff work most of the time.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I know my old laptop that I used as a hackintosh setup worked fine with an atheros based card, so you might wanna find one of those. I know I've seen several cisco pcmcia cards at work that have the antenna port on them like the airports do, but being cisco, I'm sure they're just as pricy.

Is there a special name for pcmcia wireless cards without built in antennas? because, i really dont want to strip down teh card and then force it into my ibook, im pretty sure there are wlress cards outs there that ust have an antenna connection without a built in antenna, anyone knwo where i might find them, i tried ebay but no luck.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-AIRONET-35...QQcmdZViewItem

those are the ones I was talking about earlier, you can remove the pcmcia card from the pci card and use it the same as you would an airport card. Now whether the drivers would work or not is a different story.

EDIT: Cisco's website actually lists OS X drivers for that card, so that would be a suitable alternative to an airport.

hmm, yea, its is xpensive, i guess my only choice right now is to get teh cheapest pcmcia card i can find with a known chipset and do my best to make it fit without damage or modification to teh ibook

Check a few local ma/pop shops before you do that. I found a few cards here for $30-50. I will look around and see if I can pick up a few. They are used, but if I can get them for that price still, I will just charge you shipping to send them to you. I am in Denver.

Also look for the first run mac minis. They use the same airport card, and I have found them unit not working for $50-100.

k thanks keep me posted

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    usb dongles, or get online and search for the original airport card.

There are two slide switches on top of the keyboard you slide down and then pull the board up. This will expose your card and RAM.

(if you were not aware)

[QUOTE=urineanus
    There are two slide switches on top of the keyboard you slide down and then pull the board up. This will expose your card and RAM.

(if you were not aware)[/QUOTE]

Thats actually the first thing I noticed when I got my ibook, couldnt help fiddling with it. Im using a usb dongler irght no but its as inconveinent as hell. and im not gonna spend 100$ on an airport card. Im thinking on permanently soldering teh usb dongle onto teh usb port and stripping the body of teh dongle and putting it in the place where teh airport card goes (it fits, i tried).