Thread: My damn imac won't shut down!

1. #1 My damn imac won't shut down! 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    Alright, so I have a problem whenever it's time to shut down the mac here. As you probably know now it's a G3 iMac so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. But anyways, whenever I need to shut down things, I go to "Shut down..." and nothing seems to happen. And nothing does. I also cannot seem to log out of my account once I've logged in for that boot. The only way to start fresh is by holding down the green button for a few seconds. Annoying? yes, Dangerous to the mac? IDK, Fixable? I hope so. I really don't want to go lower than 10.3, not only because it would mean a new license needed, but mainly because most of the things I do wouldn't run in things before 10.3 (atleast as far as I know). I am not absolutely opposed to reinstalling the OS but I don't want to do that until I know what is going on and that reinstallation will absolutely fix my problem. Thanks guys

P.S. it's getting pretty hot too. It's the bubble looking one, and I'm thinking it's getting too hot for safe operation. Is there a program to monitor system tempuratures?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    throw it in the trash, its worthless and not worth any time/money.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but msybe its because of teh chnages u made usuing shape shifter, try bringing everything back teh way it was and see if it shutsdown.

and @ urineanus: it's still a mac, and this is the mac section.

g3 imacs are so abundant, I see them in the free section of craigslist all the time. Seriously if yours is overheating, strip the HD and Ram and then throw it out. It is quite worthless and only a fool would buy it for more than $20. I'm serious check out the prices they fetch on EBAY.

well, like I said, this guys already got an extra 512MB RAM installed for a total of 640MB RAM so it runs OS X fine for what I intend to do with it. I can live with things. You're being a little too hard on this little guy urineanus, I mean it's not that bad. I am just getting frustrated with haveing to physically shut it down all the time. This was a fantastic computer for it's time and I could never throw it out as annoying as it gets. If anything I'll just give it to my sister for her birthday if I get another mac for here. Anyways, nobody has any suggestions on how to fix this weird problem? Only I use this iMac so the login/logout disfunction is fine with me. It works man, it's just not working as great as I thought it would.
    and @ outsider: I believe that this happened almost immediately after installing a new software update to 10.3. It was actually at 10.3.1 for a LONG time (like a year and a half) and my mom never applied any updates to it (she was admin and never went on it ever) so I had to apply 8 OS X security updates to it Maybe that hurt it... but once I updated it to one of the security versions it started ****ing up. It was stock during those updates.... any other suggestions? I can live with this problem as long as the mac is not at risk of damage. If it is I will reinstall OS X if I have to.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    get your mum to update it to 10.3.9 see if teh problem heals.

LOL i had to do that myself. The iMac is mine now, all mine. I had to do 8 individual updates. I even had to download them through my psp because I didn't have this wireless USB stick I do now. So, I'm thinking because of the timing of this that the security updates are actually what has caused this problem. I might give it to my sister sometime soon so that I don't have to listen to her complain of no computer and me having so many to myself. I'm only doing this because (and if) I get my dad's G3 laptop. It's the high end laptop that Apple was selling.. what was that line called? My dad said it's a mac book and it's their first line of mac books, but he wasn't sure... Saw it this morning for the first time and it's nice, but I didn't get much of a look at it as I was half asleep when my dad showed me it.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Corpsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarstrongXan
    LOL i had to do that myself. The iMac is mine now, all mine. I had to do 8 individual updates. I even had to download them through my psp because I didn't have this wireless USB stick I do now. So, I'm thinking because of the timing of this that the security updates are actually what has caused this problem. I might give it to my sister sometime soon so that I don't have to listen to her complain of no computer and me having so many to myself. I'm only doing this because (and if) I get my dad's G3 laptop. It's the high end laptop that Apple was selling.. what was that line called? My dad said it's a mac book and it's their first line of mac books, but he wasn't sure... Saw it this morning for the first time and it's nice, but I didn't get much of a look at it as I was half asleep when my dad showed me it.
    Macbook Pro?

If its a g3 laptop that is black with a white apple, its a pismo powerbook. If it has a "bronze" keyboard, its either a 400-500mhz model; in which case a suggest selling it on ebay since their is a big following for them and you can fetch $300 in some instances. With that $300 I would suggest putting it towards a g4 ibook purchase.

hmmm... well this one is apparently broken as I've just posted a thread about in hardware, but it is indeed a Pismo power book, they didn't have Macbook Pros when this thing came out. But it's in great condition otherwise and I'd be happy with it if it worked... BUT I guess there wouldn't be harm in posting it up on eBay and just seeing my results. How much do you think an iBook that could run 10.3 or 10.4 would cost through eBay?