Thread: [56k beware] Kubuntu, OS X-style.

1. #1 [56k beware] Kubuntu, OS X-style. 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Not an OS X clone - just my Kubuntu 7.04 install with a few touches of Mac style. Click for fullsize (1280x1024.)

If nothing else, Apple shows that OS design can be an art form. I love those icons like the fat kid loves cake. They really bring my desktop together. I'm all about 'Bigger is better' and I love the clarity. Apple should really check into doing a composite desktop with a cube, I don't think I've ever seen a set of icons that go with the cube so well. The Emerald theme is called MacVrun, it uses the vrunner rendering engine and you can get it as part of the non-GPL Emerald themes pack. Keep in mind you need subversion installed to get those. The option to install the pack is somewhere in Emerald's config.

I'm looking for a way to complete the theme and do an all-out OS X clone, but it's hard with KDE. I've got the dock (KXDocker) but I need the finderbar, as of yet there's no good way to do that in KDE. You can do all the widgets to match OS X PERFECTLY (aqua AND the brushed metal style) but it uses a rendering set called Baghira and it's hard to compile, so I haven't gotten around to it.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Adz786's Avatar
    Do you set those icons manually? Or it there a program that does it all. Might be interested in installing this OS on one of my partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Adz786
    Do you set those icons manually? Or it there a program that does it all. Might be interested in installing this OS on one of my partitions.
    You download the iconpack, and there's a script inside you have to build it with. It's quite simple, all you do is cd to the icons directory and do a ./buildscript. Most KDE icons just come as the pack already built but doing it this way saves space. You need an app called Imagemagick (free, and installable in the Kubuntu repos) to do the build. After you build the iconset, you just crack open KDE's system settings and hit up icons under look and feel, there you can import the theme. A few misc icons had to be picked manually, but 90% of the system and applications are covered.

OS-L Icontheme Buildkit: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=16564

Linux is great because it basically has no restrictions on icon size. If you wanted to use a 512x512 PNG for an icon, you could.

If you ever feel like installing Kubuntu just to try out these icons drop me a line, I'll walk you through installing Kubuntu and building the iconset.

Will do DarkEd. Just waiting on the cash to come in so i can buy an External HD to transfer all my shit over. Then have a fresh install of XP, possibly Vista, and definately Linux, always heard about it, always wanted to experience it, just never had the time.

Honestly, this is just pleasing to the eye, and i really like that. Right now im running XP with Windows Blind and the mac theme. I could have the mac icons, but that requires a seperate program to be installed, and it hogs my memory, so ijust don't bother with it. But if I can do all the basic shit with Linux, word process, surf the net, then this should be my main OS. Can Linux run Photoshop? Any disadvantages Linux has to Windows? apart from some software not being able to run on it.

It's getting there:

^Click for fullsize.

I got Baghira installed, turns out there's a package for it in the repos (kwin-baghira) so I didn't have to compile it from source.

Now I can start working on getting the dock going and setting up the finderbar just right.

Honestly, this is just pleasing to the eye, and i really like that. Right now im running XP with Windows Blind and the mac theme. I could have the mac icons, but that requires a seperate program to be installed, and it hogs my memory, so ijust don't bother with it. But if I can do all the basic shit with Linux, word process, surf the net, then this should be my main OS. Can Linux run Photoshop? Any disadvantages Linux has to Windows? apart from some software not being able to run on it.
    Yeah, there are a few drawbacks to going full Linux at first, and I don't recommend it because:

1. Linux mainly uses ext3. Windows uses NTFS. Right now, Linux has subpar NTFS support, so if you want to share files between the two systems you'd need a FAT32 partition or an extra ext3 partition and the open source ext2fs driver for Windows. Either choice is fine, the Windows ext driver is actually pretty good.

2. Photoshop does NOT run in Linux. Some people say it runs in Wine (a Windows compatibility layer) but I was never able to get it running. If you need Photoshop keep a Windows partition around, or alternatively, you could use an open source app called GIMP. It's nearly as powerful as Photoshop, but it has a different interface so it might take a little time to get used to.

3. Very little gaming support. Unless the game you want to play is older and will run in Wine (UT classsic, Deus Ex, etc.) or it has a native Linux installer (Doom 3/Quake 4, UT2004, etc.) then you're pretty much stuffed as far as gaming goes. Some newer games work (Half-Life 2, Far Cry) but they don't run too great and they mostly look like crap. Wine doesn't have any pixelshader support as of yet, so any game that uses a shader-based renderer won't look good and it'll run slow.

4. Linux is complicated. It takes time to get used to, and years to master. Its the farthest thing from Windows imaginable, for better or for worse.

5. Linux is perfect if you just want to check email and write the occasional memo (OpenOffice is an excellent office suite.) However, you might have hardware that doesn't work in Linux. Most sound cards, internal ethernet/WiFi, mice, gamepads, printers, etc. work fine in Linux, so you probably won't have any issues there. However, video chipsets are still a little flaky. You'd better have either an nVidia or an ATi (preferably nVidia) if you want to get 3D accel and run Beryl and stuff. You might be able to do it on an integrated intel video chipset too, but most people can't get it to work. Any other card... well... VESA (software) driver for you. USB devices are EXTREMELY flaky at the moment (excluding mass storage like external hard drives.) If your main source of internet is a USB WiFi card or USB Cable/DSL modem, you can pretty much forget about it. 90% of the USB stuff on the market doesn't work in Linux yet. If you have an iPod it'll work fine, same with a PSP, because they are treated as mass storage. If you have a Zune or similar player, forget about it, it'll probably never work. Digital cameras work for the most part because most of them are treated as USB mass storage, but if it needs a driver in Windows to work, forget about it. Basically, if it's USB and needs a special driver in Windows, forget about it

So yeah, keep a Windows partition around until you get used to everything.

Love those screenshots, far better than my xp looks, or could ever look.

Got lost at 1., where you're talking about the file system, but when the time comes, ill get back to you on that. There really is no harm in having linux running on a second partition, its an experience for a start.

From what you've said and what others have told me about Linux, im not sure why Dell are going ahead and installing Linux on some of their machines, when i've heard the OS is for a more experienced computer user. Dell to me are family computers.

Currently i am connecting to the internet via a USB modem, so that rules that out.

So when I do have the 2 OS installed, itll be as simple as having more than one copy of windows installed, where you get the boot screen to select which OS you want to run?

I don't really online game since i've got my PS3 recently. I do play an old 2D spaceshooter known as Continuum, get about 1500 people playing it, i know it runs on linux, as many of the players are on linux. Games been around from 95' 96'. Can get it from www.subspacedownloads.com for those of you who want to give it a try, though the graphics may put you off initially like it did with myself, untill i properly got into it.

Anyway look forward to trying this out. Get it off http://www.ubuntu.com/ right?

Love those screenshots, far better than my xp looks, or could ever look.

Got lost at 1., where you're talking about the file system, but when the time comes, ill get back to you on that. There really is no harm in having linux running on a second partition, its an experience for a start.

From what you've said and what others have told me about Linux, im not sure why Dell are going ahead and installing Linux on some of their machines, when i've heard the OS is for a more experienced computer user. Dell to me are family computers.

Currently i am connecting to the internet via a USB modem, so that rules that out.

So when I do have the 2 OS installed, itll be as simple as having more than one copy of windows installed, where you get the boot screen to select which OS you want to run?

I don't really online game since i've got my PS3 recently. I do play an old 2D spaceshooter known as Continuum, get about 1500 people playing it, i know it runs on linux, as many of the players are on linux. Games been around from 95' 96'. Can get it from www.subspacedownloads.com for those of you who want to give it a try, though the graphics may put you off initially like it did with myself, untill i properly got into it.

Anyway look forward to trying this out. Get it off http://www.ubuntu.com/ right?
    1. Yeah, it's really no big deal so long as you don't need to write to your Windows (NTFS) partition. For now, you can let it slide.

2. Dell is actually a good platform for Ubuntu-based systems. They're cheap, good hardware compatibility, and Ubuntu is free. Dell still sucks in my opinion and it probably will forever, but I think a major OEM offering Linux as a choice is a step in the right direction - a step AWAY from the monopolistic hold Microsoft has had on the industry for so many years. It's about damn time, too.

3. Yeah... if the USB modem has an ethernet port you might be able to swing that, but otherwise, it's gonna be a no-go.

4. Yeah, when you install Kubuntu it'll install the GRUB bootloader, which will give you the option at boot of which OS to start. It even automatically detects and lists Windows in the boot list, so no manual config needed!

5. So long as you aren't trying to run GTA San Andreas or most other modern games without a native Linux installer, you'll be okay.

6. Get Kubuntu 7.04 'Feisty Fawn.' That is the latest release. You can download the iso here: http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

You don't want the 'Alternate CD' - you just want the normal Kubuntu CD. It's a liveCD, so you have to burn it to a disc and then boot from it. After it boots you'll be in a fully functional KDE desktop running in your RAM, on the desktop will be the link to the installer. You run that and it'll pretty much guide you through the steps.

Here's some advice on how to do partitions (the KDE installer will allow you to do this, no external partitioners needed.) I do mine a different way but it's mostly for backup. For a first timer, you should be fine using this partition layout:

(NOTE: Depending on your hardware, you may have /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda for these entries. Either is normal, just wanted to tell you.)

/ (root) <-- This is the main OS partition. It will include your installed Kubuntu system, all apps, your /home folder and your /boot folder. It should be 6GB minimum for the OS and your /home directory, but I would do at least 10GB for expansion room (installed apps, games, your home folder, etc.) 15GB would be great for a starter system if you can spare the room. Make it EXT3 filesystem.

swap <-- This is kinda like virtual memory in Windows, but it needs it's own partition. The size of the partition varies. If you have 512meg of RAM, make swap 1gig. If you have 1gig of RAM, make swap 512meg. If you have 2gig of RAM or more, you don't need a swap Make it swap filesystem of course.

Alright, so resize your WindowsXP partition (also do a defrag in Windows before resizing it!) to make some free space on your drive, and set your partitions up like so:

/dev/hda1 <-- Windows. After you resize it to make free space there's no need to touch it again.
    /dev/hda2 <-- Make it 10GB min, 15GB if possible. Format as EXT3. Make sure you set the checkmark to format it.
    /dev/hda3 <-- Swapspace, use your judgement depending on how much RAM you have.

It will ask you how you would like to mount each partition after you finish resizing/making them. Make sure you set your /(root) and swapspace partitions as such, doing it backwards will make you run out of disk space during install. If you do it correctly you should have three partitions looking like this:

/dev/hda1 <-- This is Windows, you can just leave the mountpoint blank for now. If it asks you if that is okay, say yes.
    /dev/hda2 as /(root) <-- Main system, at least 10GB, 15GB if possible.
    /dev/hda3 as swapspace <-- Your virtual mem, if you need it.

Let it install, should take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on your system spec. After it's done, shut down the liveCD and pop it out, and you'll be able to boot into the actual install.

Good luck, and if you have any questions or didn't understand something let me know.

Sorry to double post, but I've actually gone so far as to make an Emerald theme for this project.

I needed a Brushed theme, but none existed for Emerald (Beryl's window decorator.) So I decided to make one using one of the normal Tiger themes as a base (dreamtiger-baghira, it's the titlebar you see on the windows in the previous screenshot.)

Here's what it looks like at this point:

And for reference, here's the real deal on a real Mac:

I fired up GIMP and cut pieces of the existing brushed metal from Baghira's widget set. Matching them was the hard part, it took a good bit of trial and error to make them match correctly. Still some tweaking to be done, but for the most part, it matches Baghira's Brushed Aqua widgets perfectly. Now fans of the Brushed look can use Beryl AND be s3xy at the same time

Once I get the tweaking done and if I can get permission from the dreamtiger-baghira author for using his base set I'll release it.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    double post worthy. looking good.

New update on the Emerald theme. I raised the titlebar to get it closer to the real deal. I've also done the bottom window border and the window side pieces so the set is now complete:

And again, real deal for comparison:

I had to rework the drop shadow effect because Emerald does them on a square grid, so when you have very rounded corners at the bottom you can still see a ghost image of the square shadow grid. I tweaked it to get it as close to 'decent' as I could but you can still see it on the right bottom corner a little.

After checking out the real shot one more time I resized the side pieces so that they're more accurate. I really think it turned out good. It's 90% accurate, the only iffy parts are the way KDE handles window panels, the slight difference in color in the top left buttons, and the slight difference in lighting on the bottom right corner grabber. Baghira is the real workhorse here, it does all the widgets as well as the brushed metal on the inner portions of the windows. Anyways, this Emerald theme is DONE!

the 3 buttons at the top left are kind of blurry. Loving the screenshots. Looking to get this for my external HD http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=529004 Want a firewire port on it. If any of you have any reccomendations let me know. thanks.

the 3 buttons at the top left are kind of blurry. Loving the screenshots. Looking to get this for my external HD http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=529004 Want a firewire port on it. If any of you have any reccomendations let me know. thanks.
    The buttons aren't blurry when they're really on your screen. That blurriness is coming from the jpeg compression in the screenshot. If you notice, everything not really solid looks a little blurry

If you're asking if the hard drive will work in Linux, I dunno. The drive won't matter - it's the FireWire port on your motherboard that will matter. I've never used FireWire so I can't give any reccommendations, sorry. I'd check what kind it is (in Windows device manager it'll be under network devices, it's the 1394 adapter) and then you can track down whether or not it works in Linux. Chances are it does, I heard all 1394 adapters are pretty similar in design.

EDIT: Here's the finished product in action:

^Click for fullsize.

Not too shabby. Turned out to be a good Brushed theme, plus it goes with the icons and the fake menubar pretty well. The Baghira menubar also handles the top menu in applications just like a real Mac, that's what allowed me to do the menuless top.

Oh before i was just asking about any external HD's that anyone recommends for me to get.

With all these modifications you are doing with your Linux, does it affect the memory usage? Because i know when i need to run the extra programs to make my windows look like mac, my memory is hogged up.

Oh before i was just asking about any external HD's that anyone recommends for me to get.

With all these modifications you are doing with your Linux, does it affect the memory usage? Because i know when i need to run the extra programs to make my windows look like mac, my memory is hogged up.
    Yeah, a little. But 512meg is plenty for this kind of stuff, including running Beryl. Everything runs smoothly, I've got like 5 apps open including AmaroK (quite a ram hog) and everything runs smoothly.

It's been a while and I haven't done much with this for a few months. Time for an update.

I've managed to get KDE's panel looking like the Leopard menubar:

^Click for fullsize.

I believe this is a first for KDE... I don't think anyone has done this yet. Transparency doesn't work well when you use the Mac-style menubar option in KDE's Desktop config... so I made a fake transparency effect by whipping up a custom .bmp image and I used it as the panel background. I got the idea from a Leopard skin for ObjectBar that uses the same fake transparency technique. Not too shabby. Now we just need a new Leopard theme for KDE and all will be well.

EDIT: If you think the menubar is cool get a load of this:

^Click for fullsize.

Leopard dock FTW.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-06-2007 at 11:37 AM.