Thread: Old G3 Powerbook is dead?

1. #1 Old G3 Powerbook is dead? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    Okay, so the laptop my dad was planning on giving me was a G3 500MHz Powerbook, but when we came back after leaving it charging for a couple hours, we tried to power on and absolutely nothing happened. The power outlet we plugged it into seemed to be dead and didn't work with certain things, but even once we plugged it into a whole different outlet in another room it wouldn't respond to the power button being pushed. My dad says that we should just leave it plugged into that outlet as he knows that it works. He thinks the problem could very well be the battery is either dead or just having a hard time, which is stopping the mobo from getting any power. From my experience with things like the psp, even if the battery isn't working I believe it still should be powering up. BTW, my dad was using this thing right up until the G4 came out, at which time he bought a new G4. This is pissing me off big time because this would be the only full functioning computer that I could bring to and from my dad's house. I'd really appreciate any help with this. It's in perfect condition otherwise, what a shame.....we reseated the hdd and optical drive too.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Are you getting the boot chime, or just no power at all?

Even if you take the battery out and leave the adapter on, it should turn on. I would check the dc in board connections. That 500mhz pismo you have is worth a lot of $$$$ for what it is. You could definitely unload that on a collector via ebay and have funds for a g4 book.

alright, so the dc in board is inside of the mac... hmmm... well, my dad used to do a lot of work with mother boards i think, so maybe he will be able to do that with me. No boot chime, no nothing... I don't think we even tried to take the battery out. That powerbook has a LOT of software on it, somewhere in the thousands of dollars range. Now, if the dc in board connection of loose, I would have to do a solder job of some kind right? Luckily my dad has a lot of soldering experience, so he COULD do it... how much would a G4 book cost?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker BLACKOUT's Avatar
    try replacing the pram battery.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Good tip blackout, overlooked that one. That is the most commonm reason for a mac not to boot.

the pram battery? could I have some tips on that please, i don't have a clue what that is.... and where could I find a new one? BTW, you guys are awesome for knowing all this stuff about laptops, I have so much trouble for some reason dealing with laptops, maybe because they are so crammed.