Thread: Can you Put mac os x software on a pc???

1. #1 Can you Put mac os x software on a pc??? 
    Hi, I just saw the mac os x software on an apple notebook g4 or something like that and i just fell in love with it so i'm just wondering if i can uninstall windows and put the mac os on my pc. It's a bit old but If I can, I would like to know how. Please!!!!!!! Thanks.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Unforgiv3N's Avatar
    as i know you can't Install MAC OS on PC ! but it's possible by a 3rd party software you install on Windows ( VMWare Workstation ) then you're able to have MAC OS on Windows ..., so you can't run MAC software on PC ... but you can use MAC Document files for PC

Actually, you CAN install Mac OS X 10.4.6 safely onto a PC. Check out InsanelyMac and OSx86 Project | InsanelyMac I actually have OS X installed on my PC. Note: You might have to upgrade your hardware in order for OS X to run smoothly. I'll give you my specs because mine is 100% compatible with "OS X 86"

Intel P4 3.2Ghz Prescott LGA775
    Intel GUX915 Motherboard w/ Intel GMA 900
    Pioneer DVD+-RW drive.

^^^ That motherboard has everything you'll need, you can get the 945 version, but make sure you get the right one. This will allow you to natively install Mac OS X 10.4.6 onto a PC. Hope i helped!

Junior Member PSP User cogsprocket's Avatar
    You can run OS X on a PC, but Apple has taken great measures to make doing so of questionable legality. The argument goes as such:

Apple provides base OS X as OEM only (provided with hardware). Prior to the D conference where Jobs made the claim that Apple was a software company with a future in software Apple has always been considered a hardware company with a semi-embedded system architecture. In essence the only way (not really but this is the argument used) to purchase and legally use OS X is to own Apple hardware according to Apple's OS X EULA.

Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household.
    In order to install OS X with any level of aherance to the EULA you have to install it on an Apple PC. While Apple hasn't taken any legal action against anyone for doing this it is a questoinable practice and most definately frowned upon by Apple because the whole purpose of the Macintosh is to create a closed ecosystem of hardware and software which is managed by a single entity. The upstroke is that if what Jobs said at the D conference is correct then we'll likely see OS X going cross platform in the years to come. I wouldn't quote me on that though.

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cogsprocket View Post
    The upstroke is that if what Jobs said at the D conference is correct then we'll likely see OS X going cross platform in the years to come. I wouldn't quote me on that though.
    Apple currently makes all their money on hardware sales, but if they released a true PC port of OS X you'd see them making a much larger amount on software sales.

People love OS X and Jobs knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowks View Post
    It's a bit old but
    That, right there. If I were you I would pretty much forget about it. You need a Pentium 4 Northwood (SSE2) minimum, and a P4 Prescott (SSE3) is recommended. Without SSE3 lots of apps won't work (Rosetta, iTunes, etc.) which will kinda ruin the whole experience. You also need LOTS of RAM, at least 512MB, 1GB or higher is recommended.

So yeah, you kinda need a newish system to run OS X86 decently. If it's not gonna run smoothly or if it won't be 100% compatible with all hardware you have I wouldn't bother.
    Last edited by DarkED; 06-22-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Apple File-System is "HFS" PC can't Read it, so it's a Modified or Designed for PC version of MAC OSX that's Compatible with PC and it's x86, so you can't install Original MAC DVD for a PC ...

Unfogiv3N, In the OS X installer you have to format your HDD to HFS+ Journaled. The DVD installer is, yes, modded to run on a PC, but you are still getting the exact same OS that an OS X user would, you just can't install Apple System Updates, unless you want a broken system.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    I never want to see OS X go cross platform officially. It belongs on macs only. I have no problems with the hackintosh scene, I admire the people making progress with it. Apple hardware is great and the software just makes it better. I would hate to see people running such beautiful software on like an Acer or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiv3N View Post
    Apple File-System is "HFS" PC can't Read it...
    That doesn't matter. PC BIOS doesn't need to read the HFS partition, it only has to read the master boot record. The MBR is where the bootloader for the particular OS you have installed resides and it uses it's own special filesystem. Then the bootloader runs from the MBR and you boot your operating system with it. If the bootloader is x86 compatible and can read the filesystem type in question you're pretty much golden. A hard drive is a hard drive, the filesystem that goes on it makes no difference to the hardware. A hard drive out of a Mac will work in a PC or vice-versa. The problem you'll have with HFS is no read/write support on other operating systems. You couldn't install Windows or Linux on and HFS partition the same way you can't install OS X on an NTFS/EXT3 partition. Linux can read HFS (and write it I think) but I'm pretty sure only the PowerPC kernels/distros have that capability right now.

Quote Originally Posted by urineanus View Post
    I never want to see OS X go cross platform officially. It belongs on macs only. I have no problems with the hackintosh scene, I admire the people making progress with it. Apple hardware is great and the software just makes it better. I would hate to see people running such beautiful software on like an Acer or something.
    Replace 'Acer' with 'Dell' and you've got a deal Acer makes pretty damn good laptops for the money, they reek of quality.
    Last edited by DarkED; 06-23-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Darked-

Peep this

Micro Center Online - the center of .computer shopping

We are selling the shit out of that acer @ $399

One of my co-workers put OS 10.4 on the demo for a brief amount of time. It's an extremely cheap way to get OS X on the go. But the hardware leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't think the wireless card is supported on a hackintosh setup. If it was, you could have a decent OS X surfer with some more RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    That doesn't matter. PC BIOS doesn't need to read the HFS partition, it only has to read the master boot record. The MBR is where the bootloader for the particular OS you have installed resides and it uses it's own special filesystem. Then the bootloader runs from the MBR and you boot your operating system with it. If the bootloader is x86 compatible and can read the filesystem type in question you're pretty much golden. A hard drive is a hard drive, the filesystem that goes on it makes no difference to the hardware. A hard drive out of a Mac will work in a PC or vice-versa. The problem you'll have with HFS is no read/write support on other operating systems. You couldn't install Windows or Linux on and HFS partition the same way you can't install OS X on an NTFS/EXT3 partition. Linux can read HFS (and write it I think) but I'm pretty sure only the PowerPC kernels/distros have that capability right now.

Replace 'Acer' with 'Dell' and you've got a deal Acer makes pretty damn good laptops for the money, they reek of quality.
    I have Original Tiger DVD + Adobe CS2 but PC can't read it because it's HFS, how do you install this when a Standard DVD-ROM can't Read it ?!

The version of OS X that works on PC is a developer release you have to acquire. There are two versions, one for intel and another for AMD.

Google "hackintosh"

Further instructions await you.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    Apple currently makes all their money on hardware sales, but if they released a true PC port of OS X you'd see them making a much larger amount on software sales.

People love OS X and Jobs knows it.
    That's true, but simply because it's a good idea doesn't mean that it'll be done. I'm hoping ot see things move that direction as Apple has really started to open the platform up recently by moving way from the proprietary (read: proprietary hardware architecture) towards a more universal platform which better accomodates cross platform development.

The hang up, however, is that since Apple has in the past developed both the software and the hardware platform the software is housed on it was a simple task to keep one running smooth on the other. It's the same paradigm that has made the iPod a success and the same paradigm that lead Microsoft to pursue the same market with the Zune. The idea is that if you control both the hardware and the software that works with it you have a greater control over updating both.

Alternatively going cross-platform breaks this model. While they broaden their market in software sales they also create a larger margin for profit loss. While more OSX sales means more money, they also have to support the software on the platforms it is deployed on. Imagine the amount of requests on your average Linux distrobution message board. Because of the broad range of machines that Linux can run on if done properly the amount of requests for support are greater. When you develop the hardware and the software you have a greater control over this, it's not such a problem, but when you don't control the hardware and configurations you can design your software around the hardware you have. Opening it up creates the potential need for more development pre-deployment and a beefier support base post-deployment.

So it could really go either way. Cross-platforming OSX could be a huge benefit to their profit margin and market penetration and it could also be a huge financial pitfall. We'll see what happens.

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.

Quote Originally Posted by urineanus View Post
    The version of OS X that works on PC is a developer release you have to acquire. There are two versions, one for intel and another for AMD.

Google "hackintosh"

Further instructions await you.
    Or you could just go to the OSx86 Project's homepage which isn't going to give you any trouble.

If you're particularly good with getting BSD to run on odd hardware you could always try Darwin, though I've never stopped long enough to try it myself. I've barely had time to keep up with my PSP modding.

Edit - Apologies. I forgot about the double-posting rule.
    Last edited by cogsprocket; 07-20-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiv3N View Post
    I have Original Tiger DVD + Adobe CS2 but PC can't read it because it's HFS, how do you install this when a Standard DVD-ROM can't Read it ?!
    Duh! It's because Windows can't read HFS dude If you popped that disc into a Linux box, it would read it if you had the HFS module. Still wouldn't matter anyways, you can't install a normal OS X system on a PC (like urineanus said.) You need the hackintosh install.

But I seriously wouldn't bother unless you get a system that is faster and more compatible. Otherwise you're gonna waste all that time for nothin.