Thread: 6th Gen iPods to be Mac OSX based

1. #1 6th Gen iPods to be Mac OSX based 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    According to what people have leaked from steve jobs' internal speech to employees, the next iPod (6th Gen) will be running OSX software...

"There is one OS group that does Mac OS X for the Mac and the iPhone, as well as "some iPods we're working on." -Source: Internal Apple Stevenote: iPhone, iPods with OS X, and "off the charts" Macs in the pipeline

I can't wait for this...

EDIT: Here is a photoshopped mock up of what someone thinks this next gen iPod could look like

Here are some features I have found after scouring the internet:
    1 - runs OS X
    2 - uses the multi-touch technology found in the iPhone.
    3 - ability to read/view ebooks, Pages documents, spreadsheets, Keynotes, etc.
    4 - ability to view content on iPod disk used as storage.
    Last edited by Chris3d; 07-06-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    *looks at mock-up*

Yeah, the touch screen click wheel's already been done by the DS modding community, lol, so that's really not that interesting....

As far as them running Mac OSX, i really don't see that many benefits, outside of them becoming more PDA-esque, which I don't care about anyway.......

So, as far as this goes, I'm giving it a meh/10, but maybe I'll be interested when they actually reveal the new version.....

yay! Now they can charge more money for a product that does the same thing. God, i hate ipods. They dont even advertise the snr on them, but on a few independent test they found it was horrible. Get something that plays music and video well, not just something shiny with mediocre quality.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    cool i guess? i really dont know what this means, im happy as long as there hackable :]

DS modding community...LOL, that's a joke *Wow, you can put games on a miniSD card and put that into a DS game adapter...ooooh*. Where do you think they got the touch screen click wheel idea from?

If you "hate" iPods, then you don't need to be posting in the mac section of the forums period...no offense. We didn't create this section for apple bashing...

Oh, and last I checked..the iPod was one of THE BEST portable audio/video players out there. What do you want? A Zune?
    Last edited by Chris3d; 07-06-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    this
    Message sent from my iphone, pictures to follow.

am posting here because i think its funny how apple charges alot of money for a product that is inferior. Its all about marketing. The fact that you bring up the Zune is a testament to how people only care about products that are shoved down their throats by mass advertising.
    Ever hear of Creative Labs? Yeah, the people that have been making sound cars ever since computers existed. They make mp3 players that are better than ipods in every field except pop-culture acceptance. Better price, better sound quality, clearer screens for video, and better battery life. I hate the ipod craze. Apples marketing team is a bunch of really talented people though.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    i saw those pictures before the 5g ipods came out. they said the 5g would look like that. while its not outta the question, i doubt thats what it is gonna be.

JOIN CYBERNATIONS!!-www.cybernations.net

Quote Originally Posted by NoSmokingBandit View Post
    am posting here because i think its funny how apple charges alot of money for a product that is inferior. Its all about marketing. The fact that you bring up the Zune is a testament to how people only care about products that are shoved down their throats by mass advertising.
    Ever hear of Creative Labs? Yeah, the people that have been making sound cars ever since computers existed. They make mp3 players that are better than ipods in every field except pop-culture acceptance. Better price, better sound quality, clearer screens for video, and better battery life. I hate the ipod craze. Apples marketing team is a bunch of really talented people though.
    I guess "OSX Based" means nothing to you....and as for Creative Labs being superior....where's the proof? I have nothing against Creative Labs, and I actually own a Creative Zen, but I wouldn't say that the sound quality is better than my old iPod Mini....and I actually think that the video iPods look better somewhat....

I agree with you on the marketing team part though....they could sell dog shit if they wanted to...hahahahaha

@chinese people: that sig is gonna give somebody a seizure

@Urineanus: Very nice...can't wait for the pics

Quote Originally Posted by The Inquirer
    If you are fashion-concious, the Ipod is your choice. It is more popular, cooler and therefore more desirable. I am not saying that Zen Vision M doesn’t look great but the Ipod is more recognisable. Most people confused Ipod Vision M for a straight Ipod. The designs are similar.

When it comes to the video features, such as picture quality, video out or video battery life Creative Labs' Zen Vision M clearly wins against the Apple Ipod. It is simply more functional and the battery in video mode will last longer. The Ipod can play music files a little bit longer but I would still make the choice of a video player on a video features rather than on music ones. If you only care about music and not about the video maybe you should go for some MP3 player rather than Video and MP3 player.
    Link: Ipod Video vs Zen Vision M

Also, heres a link to an article and graph outlining signal-to-noise ratios of popular mp3 players: Signal-to-noise ratio - Quick guide to MP3 player audio quality - CNET reviews

Creative labs has been making digital audio equipment since the dawn of the computer age. Apple merely jumped on the bandwagon and advertised out their ass as soon as mp3 players were becoming popular. "Osx based" means nothing to me. I dont need an operating system on my mp3 player. I just want to hear some music.

Member PSP User
    I bought an 80GB iPod Video because I wanted to. The only Apple product I've ever purchased.

Now for this...meh. If there's not a bigger HDD then I'm going to skip it entirely.