Thread: My hands on iPhone review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My hands on iPhone review 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    I told myself I would not get an iPhone for months, but I caved. Like a fool I touched one and then the deal was sealed; I had to have one. I did not have to tackle the elderly or camp out in line to get one, which was nice. I did however have to haggle with an ATT rep somewhat.

For those who do not want to read this whole post, I will say this; it lives to the hype. I give it a 9/10, and it leaves the possibility open for a perfect score if some issues could be fixed through software updates.

The contract, fuck it; don't do it. When I went to the ATT store to buy mine I told they lady I wanted to buy the phone out right, no contract. She then went on to tell me that none of the features would work unless it was activated with a contract. I then told her that there was go phone (pre-paid) available for the iPhone and she insisted that there was not. After about 10 minutes of back and forth I left the store with the phone. She promised me I would be back to get a plan, I promised her go phone works with the iPhone.

I then went to go get a prepaid credit card to use to activate. I went home docked it up to my mac and itunes launched. The process was stupid easy.

IF YOU WANT PREPAID USE 999-99-9999 as your social security number, you will fail the credit check and the will give you the option to use prepaid. My plan is $70 a month with unlimited nights and weekends as well as unlimited Data. I did not want to be contracted to ATT for 2 years.

I have no idea how activating one with windows goes, but I assume the process is similar.

Syncing my email addresses, contacts, videos, and music was extremely easy with the iapps. I don't know how you can sync contacts via windows, I assume you might be left typing them in by hand on the phone.

The keyboard took an hour or so to get use to. The landscape mode of safari makes the keyboard extremely easy to use. The smaller keyboard you get in the standard view does take some practice.

The EDGE network is not that bad. I hoped for the worse, but I am pleasantly surprised. Once the iPhone knows a wifi network's credentials, it will connect to it automatically when within that networks range. My one major complaint about the edge, is that when using the youtube module with it; the phone will scale down video quality. Thus making crappy video quality look that much worse.

Safari gives you the real internet, minus flash, mpeg, and divx support. There will be flash support with the next software update, that has been confirmed. I was surprised that he iphone would not stream quicktime movies over the net. My bookmarks from my desktop safari transfered over and I can hit up all my favorite spots with the push of a button.

The ipod is great.

Google maps is google maps on an iphone. Its the same great map system you can use on your computer. Over the EDGE it is a little boggy, but once you have loaded the area you are interested in looking at, it is all good.

The phone is good as well. Although when using this thing it is easy to overlook that it is a phone, When you are so used to awkward and ugly phone interfaces. The contacts setup is the best I have ever seen to manage data.

I am really impressed with this device. My major complaint is a pretty asinine one, fingerprints. When the screen is on it looks beautiful. Put it to sleep to discover smudges from fingers all over it. Oh well its something you should expect from a touch device. Apple also gives you some goodies in the box besides the phone.

You get

A dock (an included first for any ipod)
    A dock cable
    A usb to wall power converter
    Ear buds with the built-in "pinch" mic
    a soft black cleaning cloth that says iphone

Its not for everyone, but I think that the iPhone is exactly what they said it would be, a revolutionary cell phone.

Last edited by urineanus; 07-07-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    agghh those finger prints would piss me off. i played with one at at&t it was cool, id love to have one but im not into big phone bills. you got a nice iphone docked to that ugly old looking monitor?

also hows the camera? i know it dosent have flash but 2.0mp is the best ive ever seen on a phone.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker adam's Avatar
    so many finger prints...but anti static wipes will fix that
    YOU THINK BEGINNER SHOULD BE MOD!?http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmwar...some-help.html Think AGAIN!
    READ THIS THREAD!

Follow this thread to earn some free stuff w/o a credit card!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/off-top...-refferal.html

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    Fix the fingerprint issue + get me a red one and I'm sold.
    Last edited by whitelamp; 07-08-2007 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chinese people View Post
    you got a nice iphone docked to that ugly old looking monitor?

also hows the camera? i know it dosent have flash but 2.0mp is the best ive ever seen on a phone.

That monitor is on a Macintosh power PC 7600. My main monitor that is on my intel mac is a 22' inch wide screen. The camera is nice, even though there is no flash. A flash would have called for added thickness so I like the sacrifice. Just shoot pictures in good lighting and the results are nice. Obviously there is no way to get around the fingerprint issue. Really though unless the screen is off or you are outside in bright sunlight, you can't see them.

What if you get one of those finger print resistant shields? would that take off from the touch screen ability
    YOU THINK BEGINNER SHOULD BE MOD!?http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmwar...some-help.html Think AGAIN!
    READ THIS THREAD!

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    depending on the technology used, the iphone might be affected by a screen protector. alot of those touch screens use sensors or eletronic pulses to sense where your finger is at that moment. it might not be as affective with a thin layer of plastic in the way

good review btw. im not one to spend that much on a piece of hardware like that simply because i dont think i need something like that. my cellphone is basic as hell and i only need it to make calls. i can see it being very useful mounted in my car though. access to maps and the mp3 jukebox would be cool... if i didnt have that stuff already installed
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member I Modded My PSP heatzone07's Avatar
    Looks cool but the fingerprint problem ruins it, but that was expected. Still overpriced for a phone in my opinion. But if you have the money why not I guess. By the way whats the battery life on that thing?

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    its really not a phone... its more like a pda/portable media device that happens to make calls. i dont classify it as a phone just because it can make a call or 2. it does far more then the average phone
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Well whatever the case it still seems too overpriced. I mean I can do almost all the same functions with my Samsung Blackjack for $400 less minus the fingerprint smudges.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker HALOBOY's Avatar
    nice review.The nintendo ds had came out with a screen protector for the touch screen so maybe this will.I would hate to make an iphone that was 600 bucks look nasty.
    2.60>2.71>1.5>3.03OE-C>Semibrick>1.5>3.03OE-C>3.40 OE-A>REFLASH>3.40-HALO>1.5>3.40-HALO
    Have 3.40 OE-A?SHOW US! edited9/25/07 http://www.pspmod.com/forums/digital...ions-here.html
    Custom Halo PSP

PSPz Hacked:6 Bricks:1 Semibricks:3 Pandora Revives:2

Quote Originally Posted by heatzone07 View Post
    Well whatever the case it still seems too overpriced. I mean I can do almost all the same functions with my Samsung Blackjack for $400 less minus the fingerprint smudges.
    nope black jack doesnt come close to an iphone
    READ THIS THREAD!

Thats your opinion you entitled to it...

if the blackjack is $400, its only $100 more for an iphone. Believe me your phone cannot browse the net like this. The battery life is better than expected. Video playback is the biggest hog. Like i said it is not for everyone, but I am definitely liking it. I typed this post it in no time. I do wish there was copy and paste. As well as the ability to delete multiple emails at once. Come on software update.

Quote Originally Posted by heatzone07 View Post
    Thats your opinion you entitled to it...
    urnieaus really summed it up well...its not an opinion....its the truth
    READ THIS THREAD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast