Thread: Gotta Use Windows? Think Again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Gotta Use Windows? Think Again! 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Got to use to windows
    LIES!!! This is what Microsoft wants you to think. You name one thing you "have to do" on Windows, and I'll give you the Mac or Linux alternative. I see you hardcore Windows fans (I'm one myself btw...no, seriously) already brainstorming......Gaming!. Well, you'll be glad to know that there are two solutions to that one :P

1) Guess who's jumping on the Mac? EA Games! Thats right...one of the biggest, if not the biggest game developer is coming to Mac.
    MacNN | WWDC: Id, EA games coming back to Mac

2) This takes more of a bypass approach....Bootcamp. Nuff said
    Apple - Boot Camp

Some of you that may be older, and unfamiliar with Mac or Linux are probably aware of how important productivity is. Well...this is no shock to most of the people who read this section, but you'd be surprised to find out how many people don't know that Microsoft makes Office for Mac. That's right...Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook (renamed Entourage for Mac). On top of Office for Mac, there are TONS of productivity apps for the Mac. Try going into an Apple store, and testing out Quicksilver....they don't make that for Windows!

The shortage of software you hear about for Mac is mostly games @ the moment (and that's not gonna last much longer)....there are tons of programs out there for mac....Apparently everyone thinks that non-commercial Apps don't count.

And that's my two cents! :P
    Last edited by Chris3d; 07-20-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Maybe so but Mac will never be as big as M$, never ever.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    Oh wow... EA starts to focus on the mac gamers, EA stinks on Windows so what you expect?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cucucachoo's Avatar
    Here! Here! Chris3d. I switched over a year ago and now my Compaq laptop sits and collects dust. For my window only apps i have virtual PC (I have an iBook) and I only use that for when I'm doing mods my Motorola phone or my PSP.

You said something about productivity. Just by using a Mac your being more productive.

Also iWork is rumored to have a spreadsheet program add for this years release. If this is true we won't need Office for the Mac, because Mail.app has the ability to work with Exchange out of the box.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP ionsight's Avatar
    admin misspelled "Got too used to windows" i believe making this thread somewhat pointless

also EA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Speed @ 117% of the average for ca.comcast.net

See, I like the idea of macs and all, but what they gain in simplicity, lack of viruses and beauty they lose power, customizability (as far as hardware is concerned), and developers (since the source code isn't open.)

Of course, most of these are hardware flaws, and Linux and other open source operating systems can also utilize the hardware (or, you can hack and put the mac OS over a PC.)

But basically, since I'm a gamer and love pure power in my system, Macs will be relegated to gifts to my parents only....

But that's just how I feel....
    Remember the Cardinal Rule of Message Board Posting:
    The more info about your problem you give us, the more we can help you.....

Ultimate Downgrader Guide 2.00-3.50
    Guide to Making a Pandora's Battery (new method)

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by HowlingBlue View Post
    But basically, since I'm a gamer and love pure power in my system, Macs will be relegated to gifts to my parents only....

But that's just how I feel....
    so are you running linux or winders?

Windows Vista, because I like the appearance and most of my equipment has software that only works on windows....... I've played with Linux a bit, but it really didn't grow on me.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    See, I like the idea of macs and all, but what they gain in simplicity, lack of viruses and beauty they lose power, customizability (as far as hardware is concerned), and developers (since the source code isn't open.)

Yes and I suppose you can just shoot MS an email and get into that source code. Your backing up MS who accuses open source Devs of patent infringement, and bullies and harasses them into contracts that are hardly beneficial for the open source community. All the same time they shamelessly "borrow" ideas from both the open source community and Apple, yet refuse to give up their code when they are called out for patent infringement.

And just so you guys know, Apple is now tied with Gateway as the third largest producer of computers. We surpassed 10% of the market and now sit at 13%. It wont be Apple that brings down the empire, it will be Google and the open source community. However, Apple will still be around because people love their Macs. I never heard of someone loving their windows based PC so much that they kept it for 10 years.

::::::::::::::::::::::
    Seriously MS fanboys, I am all for some intelligent debate on the computing world; but don't step up with some bull shit like the crap quoted above. The Apple developer connection has 950,000 members and I am one of them. Last year windows lost 16% of their developers, since the developers decided to move to open source.
    Last edited by urineanus; 07-21-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by urineanus View Post
    Yes and I suppose you can just shoot MS an email and get into that source code.
    I don't know the process for developing in windows, so I don't know if MS gives out the source code or is hacked. Frankly, I don't care. The fact is, I don't have any statistics on it, but there are more freelance programs for Windows than Macs as I have seen thus far.

Your backing up MS who accuses open source Devs of patent infringement, and bullies and harasses them into contracts that are hardly beneficial for the open source community. All the same time they shamelessly "borrow" ideas from both the open source community and Apple, yet refuse to give up their code when they are called out for patent infringement.
    For the sake of staying on topic, this has nothing to do with what I've said, nor the topic at hand. However, if you look into a topic we had on this, I stated that I did not support MS's lawsuit against the open source devs, and did state that it is likely that they did take from other OSs.

Also, It is likely that most software devs have at some point taken "inspiration" from other better, more popular programs, and many of them have gotten away with it, so this is not new.

And just so you guys know, Apple is now tied with Gateway as the third largest producer of computers. We surpassed 10% of the market and now sit at 13%. It wont be Apple that brings down the empire, it will be Google and the open source community. However, Apple will still be around because people love their Macs. I never heard of someone loving their windows based PC so much that they kept it for 10 years.
    Well, there's nothing wrong with that, since any sales of computers is good for the computer hardware industry (since macs use Intel chips, and I like Intel.) Also, it may not be in the way you're thinking about it, but people like me who continually upgrade their PCs could, in theory, keep some of the same guts of a computer for 10 years.... (probably just the case, but still...)

::::::::::::::::::::::
    Seriously MS fanboys, I am all for some intelligent debate on the computing world; but don't step up with some bull shit like the crap quoted above. The Apple developer connection has 950,000 members and I am one of them. Last year windows lost 16% of their developers, since the developers decided to move to open source.
    This is just a flagrant angry remark at a person who has shown no hostility towards macs at all. I have stated that they have their own good things that I like, and just prefer PCs. If you can debate your point without escalating your language, please do so. If not, please take your comments elsewhere.

LOL....that last statement is bound to start something HowlingBlue. You don't tell a moderator to take their comments elsewhere. Especially in their own section...LMAO

Keep your eyes peeled kiddies...this is gonna get interesting...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    they lose power
    Uh, the newest Mac has always and will always be more powerful than the newest PC at the time. Just FYI. Your average new Macbook Pro will blow every other laptop out of the water. That's not even mentioning the desktops.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP nigeluno's Avatar
    Great thread. It is nice to see that Game developers aka EA see that there are alternatives to a Window PC for gaming and if you go into any establishment that has a coin operated game console that hae a touchscreen that plays games you can bet that it isn't windows running it.
    God made man but the Moneys applied the glue

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    I am using windows currently, can't use Linux because of my video card, and running mac os x on a pc is illegal, and I can't afford to buy an iBook or something.

But I would love not to use windows and run an Apple dual-booting Linux

Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    Uh, the newest Mac has always and will always be more powerful than the newest PC at the time. Just FYI. Your average new Macbook Pro will blow every other laptop out of the water. That's not even mentioning the desktops.
    I can second that, and back it up...MBP FTW!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast