Thread: OSX and OS9 on a G3?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 OSX and OS9 on a G3? 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Hi there... I have this G3 mac here, and I REALLY wanta get it running OS X, but I can't leave my OS 9 apps and all of that. I'm FINALLY ready to make a second partition on the hard drive for OS X (hard drive is 12GB, so enough space for both).

I just don't know what I have to do in OS 9 to make a new partition for OS X, while still keeping the OS 9 partition (sizing it down a bit, but you know what I mean)

So can somebody please help me out with this stupid thing, it's taken up my whole day already....this will be a big deal for me, not only cause OS X is awesome, but because I will be able to connect to my wireless network once I get OS X thanks ahead of time guys

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cucucachoo's Avatar
    Not sure about the classic side. But i do believe no matter what you do, if you try to repartition your HD with anything on it, it will destroy the data.

If i were the one doing this. I would make a full back up of your HD or just the existing apps and personal files. Then do a fresh install of OS X 10.3 Panther and then install the classic support for OS X. That way you can have all your older apps while still being in the OS X environment.
    PSP un-bricking and CFW install in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. PM me for details
    Total PSP's downgraded: 10 - Total Slim CFW Applied: 4 - Total PSP's unbricked: 0
    Visit me at my blog - Cucucachoo.net. I have mostly sexy mobile phone and psp wallpapers here.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Um, I'm not sure about doing it with a Mac, but when you repartition a drive in a PC you do not lose all your data. You just have to make plenty of free space for the new partition. Again, this is for a PC, not a Mac, but I seriously doubt they'd be different because lots of people run OS9 and OS X side by side.

If repartitioning a drive meant you had to completely wipe the entire drive nobody would be using Linux for example

Yeah i run os9 at work using the emulation built into OS X.

I have never had any luck repartitioning any type of drive, pc or apple, while trying to keep data. I always seem to loose it. Even when I was using linux, I would just use a whole different HD for my linux install. Or I would do a fresh install of windows and linux on the same drive with different partitions. But only after I did the partitions and before installing any OS.

Regardless, I hope he backs up his data just in case something happens. It would suck to fry everything.
    Total PSP's downgraded: 10 - Total Slim CFW Applied: 4 - Total PSP's unbricked: 0
    Visit me at my blog - Cucucachoo.net. I have mostly sexy mobile phone and psp wallpapers here.

Junior Member PSP User
    I think I understand the whole idea of partitioning... it's just allocating parts of the hard drive as a certain format (like NTFS), allowing OSes to be compatible with it. I never heard of anybody having a faulty partitioning process. But I suppose it is possible... can a mac guy give me a recommendation as to what software I should use to partition my hard drive with OS9 installed on it already? Also, I was thinking maybe the OS X disk has a partitioning tool on it... does it? I simply want to keep all the data i curently have on the OS9 partition (which currently has about 5.6GB free)....
    just need a partitioning tool that will install on OS 9.1. Thanks so much guys...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I've partitioned my drive more times than i probably should have and i've never lost any data. Just make sure you check what you are doing several times before you click 'Ok'.
    There is a partition tool on the osx install cd, but im not sure how well it works.
    Very funny....not.

Junior Member PSP User
    I would assume since many people do have both OS 9 and OS X on their machines it would be a good paritioning tool for what it can do, and I'm sure they wouldn't stop OS 9 semi-users by not giving the option to partition for both OS 9 and OS X... I mean linux has the tools on the disks... thanks, so I should be good to go using just the CD, safe and everything? Thanks guys...

EDIT!: I was able to install OS X 10.3 just fine on my Pismo with 256MB of RAM. I didn't lose any of my 9.1 installation as it was formatted already in some extended format (so it didn't even prompt me to reformat or repartition or anything). Online and everything now, even posting this from this pismo here
    Last edited by pink horse; 09-09-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Junior Member PSP User SugarD-x's Avatar
    You need a third party app to resize the partitions and create a new one. Once you create the new one, use the OS X installer to select the new partition as it will show up as another drive, and just install away!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarD-x View Post
    You need a third party app to resize the partitions and create a new one. Once you create the new one, use the OS X installer to select the new partition as it will show up as another drive, and just install away!

hey DX wazzup...
    All your PSP needs at http://www.iwannadownload.com

Junior Member PSP User
    yeah... luckily though it was already formatted in the extended thing so i didn't have to do that myself

11. #11 Harddrive Swap 
    Junior Member PSP User
    So now I'm switching out my powerbook's harddrive with that of my Vosonic X's Drive's hard drive (it's a nice drive, paid $80 for 80 gigs). The original is only 12Gigs and it just isn't enough for my data that goes back and forth between my mom's and my dad's. So, I went through and removed all the parts that I needed to and unscrewed the drive from the cage and detached it. Then I slid the 80 gig into the cage and went backwards to put it back together.
    But when I tried to repartition during the installation of OS X 10.3, I wasn't able to slide the partition over that had the data already on it. Instead it wanted to totally erase the drive and put two brand new partitions on there. I don't have a backup of the important stuff on that drive, so I'm going to get my mom's drive and put the stuff on there. Then I'll reformat, and put the important data onto the newly formatted 12 gig, and I will be one happy kid. :P
    I'll have my brand new personally built AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2GB machine, the PowerBook with a nice hard drive and OS X on it, a G3 iMac, and a crappy Dell Optiplex GX1 from 1999. Not sure I'll keep running them all (space probably will not work out), so I'll just get rid of the Dell, and keep the iMac, powerbook, and of course the new rig. Unless my sister is able to fit the iMac on her desk (it's CRT and she's got an antique desk), in which case I'll have the powerbook, Dell, and new rig set up. The new rig will have windows and probably linux on it (and OS X if they ever come out with some way to get it on AMD...).
    If anybody wants to help me out getting OS X on my AMD system, I would really really appreciate it. I think I saw an article somewhere (through google) that you can indeed get OS X running on an AMD machine.
    Stop calling my psp fat, it just has a bigger frame than most

There is a project called OSx86 and its all about running os x on an X86 type of processor. But this is kinda of a gray area of copyright infringement. Because the license agreement with apple and os x says that you can only run it on genuine apple hardware. Obviously there are ways around it.

Junior Member PSP User
    oh cool, thanks man. I know I've heard of the OSx86 project before...hmmmm

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    i have used osx86. If you want anything other than integrated hardware to work, dont bother with it. If all you use is crappy integrated stuff, then go right ahead. It installs very easily, and runs faster than it does on most macs.
    Very funny....not.

Junior Member PSP User
    by crappy integrated stuff you mean????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast