Thread: Left without an iSight...

1. #1 Left without an iSight... 
    Junior Member PSP User
    With my G3 PowerBook, I am able to use a nice, convenient microphone. But what would really please me was if I was able to get a webcam working well, even an external one off firewire or usb would be nice. I want to be sure it will work with iChat or Skype or something that will also work with those on PCs. thanks a lot guys.
    Oh btw, I'm on 10.3.9

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cucucachoo's Avatar
    Believe it or not but if you have 10.4.8 or up you can use just about any modern webcam. In fact, if you have a xbox 360 webcam it will work with your mac.
    PSP un-bricking and CFW install in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. PM me for details
    Total PSP's downgraded: 10 - Total Slim CFW Applied: 4 - Total PSP's unbricked: 0
    Visit me at my blog - Cucucachoo.net. I have mostly sexy mobile phone and psp wallpapers here.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    the 360 webcam only takes pics when on computer. (at least for me)

Junior Member PSP User
    well yeah, but like i added in i only have 10.3.9 and what is really important is the webcam function. Camera is cool put not nearly as cool as video chat. Any recommendations for a nice cheap one (below $25) that is popular and won't have trouble working with a 10.3.9 mac with firewire? And yes I know I could upgrade to 10.4 but I don't want to suffer performance issues.

for panther. Your kinda stuck to iSight. I have tried the open source usb drivers for webcams but most of the cams i own always result in a crappy image.

Link

above is a link to said driver that i have used. The link will take you to the tested camera page.
    Total PSP's downgraded: 10 - Total Slim CFW Applied: 4 - Total PSP's unbricked: 0
    Visit me at my blog - Cucucachoo.net. I have mostly sexy mobile phone and psp wallpapers here.

Junior Member PSP User
    hmmm how about an external iSight cam? Are those wickedly expensive? Am I better off just looking for an iBook G4 or something?

Well the iSight cam is a firewire and it is wickedly expensive, even on ebay. I have yet to see one drop below $100.

As far as going with an iBook g4. You would still be stuck in the same situation, IE, no built in iSight. But you would be able to run the newest OS from apple when it comes out.

Question for you. Why not just upgrade to Tiger 10.4? A G3 will run it fine with a minimum of 512 ram

Junior Member PSP User
    okay it requires 256 of physical ram and any G3 processor (supposedly), so I COULD do it. IDK, I just don't think it's a great idea until I get a RAM upgrade or something. But maybe I will... I'm basing it on the sticky urineanuse posted a while back about mac models. I might do it if I decide to get a webcam...

Yeah it will run on a G3 but you will really want a RAM upgrade. Tiger runs like poop with less. My wife runs a G3 iBook and when i upgraded hers to tiger it was so slow it was almost driving her to turn on the windows laptop. But after I put a 512 in it bringing her to 640mb it now runs great.

Give me till tomorrow and ill check at work. I may have an extra CPU drop in upgrade to tiger i would be willing to send you. It's the upgrade pack they add to new hardware that has been configured already with the older OS.

Although it is a DVD format. So let me know if you dont have a dvd drive in your powerbook.

Junior Member PSP User
    nope, I got the nice powerbook with the dvd drive It's really a sweet laptop. I like it more than I would a windows laptop that's worth twice this People that complain about the price of mac (which isn't all that bad) should just get a decent G3 or G4 and keep their PC. I am going to order my PC parts in 15 days and that will cost all I've got until Christmas, when I'll be spending more on drives and a graphics card... but I may try to save some for another 512 (for a total of 768 MB!!). So... this cpu drop in upgrade... is it software or hardware? Sounds good....

A CPU drop in upgrade is just a disk that has the newer OS on it. It was used when Tiger was just released. They would put this disk in new units that were already configured with Panther. That way the consumer would be able to upgrade there new mac they just bought running panther, to the new Tiger OS.

I expect them to do the same with the next os, Leopard. But i would not be surprised to see it being Intel only upgrade and not a universal binary upgrade.

Anyway, I do have an upgrade disk. But its not new and has most likely been used. I work in a shop where sales folk come in and out and will use anything they can get there grubby little hands on. Meaning it most likely has been loaded on someones system.

Junior Member PSP User
    I will download it when the time comes (legally of course). 512 is like 80 bucks...not sure if it's worth the 110 for 300% of my current memory and a webcam.... I have some old stupid camera, would it be possible to use it with the isight drivers?

The answers:
    One isn't recognized at all (gives power but nothing data-related)
    The other better one (still a piece of shit) was only displaying the shot on like half of the window... other half was pitch dark... no matter what the lighting. ehh didn't expect them to work really.
    Last edited by pink horse; 09-10-2007 at 10:53 PM.