Thread: iMac or MacBook Pro?

1. #1 iMac or MacBook Pro? 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Im looking at a mac for the first time. I've been using them in class, I use the G5 Mac Pro and the iMac.

Now i mainly want to use this for video, editing, watching, downloading, and them some (games, etc).
    I would like a laptop, so I can bring it where i need to and continue surfing the net or dowloading the latest information to my computer if i need to. That is where the MacBook Pro comes in. the problem is for a $2700, i could buy a new(er) car!
    I also like the iMac, not as portable, but it seems like i can carry that with me if i need to set it up somewhere else. and for $1200 (or 1700), I can easily afford it and not worry too too much.

My question is, is the Macbook really worth the extra grand+? or is it just for portability. and if you choose the iMac for myself, can you tell me the cons for it?
    Im really falling towards the iMac, but if the powerbook Pro is really worth that much extra, ill save a little while more.

Or I can stick with a 1000$ Windows laptop, im just missing out in final cut, but premieres the same...

what do you say?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justinisloco View Post
    Or I can stick with a 1000$ Windows laptop, im just missing out in final cut, but premieres the same...

what do you say?

You'll be missing more than just final cut if you stick to operating windows. I don't want to preach here, but come on people the windows platform just plain sucks. You can have some really nice hardware, but it can be seriously hindered by crappy software (see Windows Vista).

If you are going for a video editing rig then a Mac is the only way to fly. The MBP and iMacs have the same processor (slight clock variations) and take the same RAM format; and both max out a 4GB. The new iMacs also have a FW800 port, whicj th e MBP has as well. I would go for the 2.8ghz iMac with the 24" screen and leave it stationary.

But thats just me. If you want a cheap Mac laptop, hackintosh one.

so im spending the extra grand on portability basically?
    Space isnt an issue to me, I plan on buying a portable TB drive.
    I didnt plan on getting a windows anyway, but I thought id just throw that option in for a cost-conservative person like myself

Linux= free, Ultimate cash conserver.

And yes the extra grand is for the portability.

Paying a premium for Apple really sucks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

:::::::::::::::

Oh and windows cost more in the long run. Spyware/virus protection, headaches, and wasted time reformatting.

Several recent studies have chosen Apple as the cheaper platform to own and maintain, even though it costs more initially.

I love my Macs, but more recently I have gone cross platform and dived further into linux. It is sad I have separation issues with my mac. I get anxious to get back to it when I am away. Scary
    Last edited by urineanus; 09-20-2007 at 05:41 AM.

now what are the downsides to the iMac though? (if any)
    And is there a CD/DVD Burner in it as well? Or do I buy that externally?
    Will it be fast enough to render videos, or is it really slow compared to the other macs?

The new imacs have the same processors as the MBP and they both max out at 4gb of RAM. The only downside to an imac is that it is not portable. If I was going to be using FCP I would prefer a desktop anyways, especially a 24" one. Trackpads aint got shit on mice.

also, what about a mini mac? for a cost conservative like myself? or still the iMac.
    sorry for all the questions, im just curious!
    Cheating on windows never felt so good

Mac mini is BYOKDM (bring your own KB, Display, Mouse). If you have a display, any USB keyboard/Mouse will work with OS X. It also has built in Bluetooth. They just refreshed the line. I love my mini.

and the specs are just about the same as the imac? Does it have Wifi built in? If the iMac and Mac Mini can perform the same almost, ill get the mac mini and pay the little extra for a moniter (not from apple though, as much as i Love theirs, I dound one for 1/4th the price, and the same except its black, it wont match the mac mini)

i mean, how much more differnece can 0.4 GHz really make?

and will any keyboard work with mac mini? Or do i need apples KB because of the different operation butons?
    Last edited by justinisloco; 09-21-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Nosympathy's Avatar
    i have a 24 inch iMac, and although yes i can move it around the house, i do fear dropping it so i don't really move it much. For me, i love my iMac and although i'd like a laptop, i've yet to have my iMac lag or freeze. It does do some really wierd crashes. Like when i remove headphones it sometimes crashes. But i can have 30-40 2000X3000 photos open in photoshop, itunes running, internet up with multiple pages, running azuerus and convert a video all at the same time and my computer doesn't slow down. Keep in mind tho, that my iMac came to about 2200-2500 grand after i upgraded the memory, the ram, the video card, and added some program packages.

Aswell, when my iMac gets near 55C it still performs the same, where as my dads laptop(although a dell) goes above 44C he gets massive performance loss. All i'm getting at is i don't know if you get the laptop if you'll have to worry about it getting hot and then slowing down massively, which in same cases can be a major concern.

just my two bits from what i've seen growing up with windows desktops and laptops and watching them get near 50C and almost dying. Only person i know that has a Mac laptop is my gf's brother, and he doesn't push it hard, per say, and so i don't think he has trouble, but i dk what'd happen if you did push it.

Im sold on the Mac Mini, although the graphics card isnt the best, I can choose my own display, and its cheap, onlt 1000 for the things i want with it.
    Hopefully its a good choice!

PS- Urineanus, I know the apple store, im just asking from experienced users. I never trust advertising

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I just have to say... darn those Macbook Pro's are sweet... If i had a couple of thou just laying around i'd know what i would do with it!
    Silver PSP1000 with double X2 3600mAh batteries and Go!cam running 3.52M33-4 with NYKO Charger Grips (psp on 2200mAh batteries) and a 4GB Sandisk Gaming MS Pro Duo, accompanied by a 120GB Hyperdrive Space.... You gotta love it

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    Macbook Pro 15" SR FTW.
    Just recently bought the high end 15-incher and besides a self induced stupidity-scare hard drive "problem" (my fault, not osx's), it is THE laptop to own.

Doubles as frying pan, bonus included.
    Last edited by whitelamp; 09-23-2007 at 02:12 AM.