Thread: $249 new in box mac

1. #1 $249 new in box mac 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Take this with a grain of salt, but word is spreading of a $249 Mac to be announced in late october to correlate with Leopards release (october 26th). Supposedly either a replacement or maybe an alternative to the mini the "Nano Mac", as it has been dubbed is described as Extremely small. "Just slightly thicker than a hard drive" One person claimed. I would not go and start throwing money at an Apple store employee yet, but am curious to see how this wild rumor pans out. I could not imagine at its price it having an optical drive or more than a 60gb Hard drive. This could make a hell of a work station machine just for office productivity and e-mail. Maybe Apple is trying to put their foot in the door of your local office building or public school? I could only hope Steve would save the children from being forced into a life of servitude with Microsoft. We shall see.

::::::::::::::
    On second though if this is true, I would not be surprised to find out the end product was very similar to an Apple TV in form factor. In fact you can run OS X on an Apple TV, and Apple TV sales are dismal. There is also something called Apple TV HD coming out soon, so maybe this is the solution to get rid of surplus Apple TV units. Wih slight modifications they could be nice basic machines for productivity.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    so you's rather have jobs force them into servitude to apple, where you have no hardware choices at all really?
    Im certain this will be basically a workstation with minimal hardware. Apple cant put out a decent product without gouging its customers, so expect this to be pretty crappy.
    Very funny....not.

I doubt a sub $300 Mac will come out regardless of specs. In true Apple fascism fashion, yes I would rather see kids on macs than windows. I can't think of an Apple product in recent history that was a non-decent product. There are definitely some things that have come out and lacked features, like Apple tv, but it still does what it is designed to do well. Still not as good as an XBMC, which is what I use as my Media center. The XBMC is cheaper to make and supports a lot more features and codecs. The XBOX is not doing what MS intended it to do, but it does work way better than Apple TV.

XBMC is great. I have a modded xbox as well. I only wish i could have a/v inputs on it so i can use it as a dvr.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Lone Wolf VZ's Avatar
    Apple sucks! *runs to the top of a hill*
    2.81>3.03>1.50>3.40OE-A>1.50>STUCK>Bricked>UNBRICKED>3.55 m33

He's baaaack.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Meh, until apple stops putting video cards three generations behind PC video cards in their top of the line machines you won't find one on my desk. I don't hate apple or love MS, I just don't want a machine with a dog ass slow video card. I wish Apple would step up to the plate and make a seriously fast machine with a 10,000rpm hard drive and a good video card. They've already crossed into PC hardware over the last few years (The closer they get to PC's the better they are... hardware wise.) so why stop now? Give us some GPU power please. Maybe I can buy one some day because I do like the OS.

Junior Member PSP User SugarD-x's Avatar
    No offense, but what's the catch? Not even PC's are that cheap when they're brand-new, let alone Apple's overpriced Mac's...

If it did happen, the intended market would be classrooms. Most of you are probably too young, but when I was in middle school we used nothing but Macs.

As far as the video card issue, ya I understand your point; but understand this, until game studios get serious about developing for the Mac, what is the point? Macs are meant to be a cornerstone of creativity with digital imaging, video editing, and music production. As well as being one hell of a stable desktop environment for office productivity and internet needs. If you want to game, then you probably are already have a Windows based PC and have accepted its flaws for its gaming perks.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Yeah, but it may be the carriage leading the horse. If Apple would take initiative and write some drivers for their video cards (And let people upgrade their cards. They use PC cards already so it wouldn't be hard.) then maybe the gaming industry would start writing for them and ultimately Apple would gain some market share. Seems Apple would naturally embrace the gaming crowd with their intended (Fun and free.) crowd.

Remember when Macs came with SCSI hard drives? That was cool.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker adam's Avatar
    id buy a 25-0$ mac in a hearbeat
    YOU THINK BEGINNER SHOULD BE MOD!?http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmwar...some-help.html Think AGAIN!
    READ THIS THREAD!

Follow this thread to earn some free stuff w/o a credit card!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/off-top...-refferal.html

ipod more expensive then a computer. im not beleiving this.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    urineanus, check your PM's please