Thread: New MAC PSP owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New MAC PSP owner 
    So I need help. Everywhere I read about the infinite possibilities of the PSP but I can't even get music transfered to the memory stick from my MAC to work. I am clueless as to how all this works. I realize that I have grown up but my technology knowledge hasn't.

Anyway I have a 3.71 PSPslim the Battlefront edition. I'm using a MAC Mini running MAC OSX 10.4.11 with a 1.42 ghz G4 and 512 sdram.

I don't know if I want to dive into the whole world of emulators and downgrading my PSP just yet but I'd like to be able to do something besides play the few games I own. I know I have a lot to learn and am willing to start with the basics and from scratch.

Any help appreciated on what programs I should have on my MAC? How to transfer items from the MAC to the memory stick and then have them actually work on the MS? How do I get videos to work? Download games on the MAC and then move them to PSP?

Basically everything.

Thx

Big

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Corpsey's Avatar
    Use the finder.

That doesn't exactly help as I don't know what I'm looking for. I dled PSPWare yesterday but it still doesn't sync anything that will work. I'm just confused and probably ignorant. Who knows.

I have a MAC & the PSP Slim... works fine for me! Didn't download anything!

Are there different kind of memory sticks then?
    Or am I just transferring wrong?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cucucachoo's Avatar
    I have nothing but macs.

Are you putting your PSP in USB mode? It would be the second selection in the system menu. If not you will need to do that when you connect up to your Mac. After your connected, you should have a generic removable media icon appear on your screen. When that happens you can drag and drop your music, photos and videos to the correct folders. Don't forget to eject the PSP drive before unplugging or hitting O on the PSP.

Formats for the photos I have noticed are basically just JPG and BMP files. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me. The music is MP3 or some Sony format that I'm not familiar with. But the tricky part is the Videos. I suggest getting a copy of VisualHub. It works great and is super easy to use. If your not willing to spend $23.32 for it then look at ffmpegX or Handbreak. Both will convert to the correct PSP format with just selecting a menu item.

Last thing, if I were you I would seriously think about getting custom firmware installed. It will help you get to where you want to be with it as far as games a movies and stuff goes. You don't need to install CFW to do the stuff i described above, but i found it made life much easier.
    PSP un-bricking and CFW install in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. PM me for details
    Total PSP's downgraded: 10 - Total Slim CFW Applied: 4 - Total PSP's unbricked: 0
    Visit me at my blog - Cucucachoo.net. I have mostly sexy mobile phone and psp wallpapers here.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    the only vital program that doesnt exist for macs is something like UMDGen.
    Very funny....not.

CUCU I do all that and have even been using Handbrake for sometime and still it either says corrupted data or says that there are no tracks/videos etc.
    Could I have a bum PSP?
    I'm not really dumb in regards to technology which is why this has been driving me so crazy since I got it.

Member PSP User Master of Cthulhu's Avatar
    are you putting the videos in the right folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    the only vital program that doesnt exist for macs is something like UMDGen.
    Actually Canada there is. It is called PrometeusPro. It does many things in regards to psp umd games. I use it to shrink all my rips and then convert them to CSO's. Do a google and I'm sure you will find a download link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigasshammm View Post
    CUCU I do all that and have even been using Handbrake for sometime and still it either says corrupted data or says that there are no tracks/videos etc.
    Could I have a bum PSP?
    I'm not really dumb in regards to technology which is why this has been driving me so crazy since I got it.
    As Cthulhu said, are you sure your putting them in the correct folder. This is one reason i said you should consider installing custom firmware. I had a heck of a time getting MP4's working before CFW. After CFW i just put them in the VIDEO folder at root of the memory stick.

If your not wanting to do CFW then you should do a search for where to put MP4's. I believe (someone will probably know this) there are two different folders on a standard install PSP memory stick. Both are in the MP_ROOT folder. One is 100MNV01 and the other is 101ANV01. Depending on the type of video your wanting to load you would put it in one of the two. Which ones for what type i have no clue. But that should help you find an answer.
    Total PSP's downgraded: 10 - Total Slim CFW Applied: 4 - Total PSP's unbricked: 0
    Visit me at my blog - Cucucachoo.net. I have mostly sexy mobile phone and psp wallpapers here.

As I screw around with this some more I notice I don't even see where the video files are. I have a video folder in the memory stick for the PSP but when I open that there is nothing there. Nowhere do I see 100mnv01 or 101anv01 anywhere. Could my memory stick be the proplem and need reformatted?

About CFW:: IS it possible to install CFW without downgrading it and doing all that Pandora's Battery nonsense? If so point me in the directions to that and I will head down that road.

Update:: tried again to move a video .mp4 to the video folder and instead of corrupted data this time I received unrecognizable data.
    frustrating
    Last edited by Bigasshammm; 01-04-2008 at 08:20 PM.

On your memory stick should be a folder called MP_ROOT. That is where you will find the two folders i spoke of. If need be reformat the mem stick using the psp. But remember to backup your game saves and anything else you want to keep.

CFW can only be installed by doing some sort of exploit on your system using a game and a file. And that is only if you have a specific firmware (ie 3.40 & Luminies with the HEN exploit). If you cant do it that way, you will have to use pandora and just load the CFW directly.

Are you sure your converting the videos correctly? I have only been able to use VisualHub to get my videos converted for my PSP.

Junior Member PSP User
    ... your music wont work if its in the AAC format which is what itunes and other music programs use for the default format instead of MP3 (aac is just a version of mp4).
    3.71>1.50>3.52M33>BRICK!>(Someday Unbricked!)

I actually had to re-format the memory stick on the PSP twice. The first time it allowed me to transfer MP3's, but not the vids or photos... 2nd time other files came up.
    ~Desmo

Still no dice on videos. Formatted memory stick and got all the subfolders. I have a video folder and a MP_root folder but no folders titled 100mnv01 or 101anv01 in the mproot folder. Do these need created or try formatting again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast