Thread: Hackintosh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hackintosh 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    OK, first off, mods if this isnt allowed here (im not sure what the rules are on hackintosh,although ive seen other threads on it) please lock.

Well i was thinking about turning my old laptop into a hackintosh pc.
    I just need to know if it can be possible on that machine.

The specs are:
    Hp Pavilion Dv4200
    Windows XP Home Edition
    512MB RAM

Here is my processor info from cpu-z:

i know youre processor needs to be either SSE2 or SSE3, mines says SSE2 in the CPU-Z screenshot but it says that amongst other things. I want to make use of this laptop before i use it just for windows again, plus i wanna tell my computing teacher i have a hackint0sh lol

One other thing, could i partition my hard drive to Dual Boot XP and Leopard? (using the Kalway leopard DVD)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Thanks i numb3rs, i allready had that bookmarked and i meant to read it. I know *cough* where to get the kalway leopard disc, but its like 3.51 GB lol its gonna take me quite a while to get it. I should have done it over the holidays there but its back to school tomorrow, so ill need to wait till the weekend.

Oh and does anyone know of any known problemsim likely to run into, een if i get it running? lol

[!]

That cpu will work fine. I had leo installed on my old intel P4, so you should be fine. If you need any help, let me know, i've fixed many a problem on an osx86 install.
    Very funny....not.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    That cpu will work fine. I had leo installed on my old intel P4, so you should be fine. If you need any help, let me know, i've fixed many a problem on an osx86 install.
    OK thanks man, would you say kalway leo is the best install?
    And will it in anyway muck up my machine.
    Sorry but two more Q's, to dual boot it says i need to re install windows to partition the drive for leopard.. I can partition the drive without re-installing windows right? and itll still work?
    Is there anymore pieces of hardware that needs to be compatible? like video card etc...?

[!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Nosympathy's Avatar
    lol so much easier to dual boot os x leopard and xp/vista on a mac computer than the other way around, no emulation, full drivers...etc...amazingness
    18/12/2007 05:19 PM free2rap622: i know
    18/12/2007 05:19 PM Nosympathy: stuff aint cheap, but it'll give you cfw...
    18/12/2007 05:19 PM Nosympathy: means u need alotta 24K gold
    grayfox_snake: u write inglish fine
    12/12/2007 05:43 PM The_Mechanix: yeah
    12/12/2007 05:43 PM Nosympathy: and the smallest penis
    12/12/2007 05:43 PM The_Mechanix: nick nack paddy whack i still got the biggest sack

Quote Originally Posted by Nosympathy View Post
    lol so much easier to dual boot os x leopard and xp/vista on a mac computer than the other way around, no emulation, full drivers...etc...amazingness
    Yeah i know, but until i save up enough to buy a macbook ill need to make do with hackintosh. My school uses Leopard (always has used OSX) so i feel i need this to continue computing for the next two years in school, and basically im fed up with Windows...

I will buy a macbook sometime soon, but i have other things i need first.
    Can anyone answer the reamaining Q's?
    Thanks.

[!]

but if you are on a budget a hac is the way to go.
    Im actually in the process of building a pc that will be 100% osx86 compatible. I'd try to compare it to a mac, but apple doesnt make any mid-range desktops. It will end up costing about $500 ($100 less than the cheapest mac mini) and have a 2.33ghz core2duo (4mb L2 cache, 1333fsb), 4gb ddr2 ram, a geforce 8600gt, and a few other parts like the case and whatnot that dont really offer a performance comparison. It basically will shit all over the mac mini and cost a whole lot less. I tried to customize a mini to meet the same specs, but they only support 2gb ram. A mini with less features than my Hac would cost about $1000. Of course you could compare it to the Mac Pro, but they start at over $1200 and are mainly server-oriented.
    Very funny....not.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    but if you are on a budget a hac is the way to go.
    Im actually in the process of building a pc that will be 100% osx86 compatible. I'd try to compare it to a mac, but apple doesnt make any mid-range desktops. It will end up costing about $500 ($100 less than the cheapest mac mini) and have a 2.33ghz core2duo (4mb L2 cache, 1333fsb), 4gb ddr2 ram, a geforce 8600gt, and a few other parts like the case and whatnot that dont really offer a performance comparison. It basically will shit all over the mac mini and cost a whole lot less. I tried to customize a mini to meet the same specs, but they only support 2gb ram. A mini with less features than my Hac would cost about $1000. Of course you could compare it to the Mac Pro, but they start at over $1200 and are mainly server-oriented.
    haha mac mini doesnt go beyond 2gb because OSX can run full speed with 1gb ram. I like having 4gb ram in both my imac and macbook pro because i do bootcamp windows, and windows + many games require alotta ram XD
    12/12/2007 05:43 PM The_Mechanix: nick nack paddy whack i still got the biggest sack

OK thanks guys for the help. I think ill only buy a mac if my hardware isnt 100% compatible. If just "got" the leo4all iso image, so i should start this on monday.
    One more thing, is there anyway i can make it automatically boot into windows by default, and if i want to boot it into OSX press a key combination (id preferr it this way)

[!]

haha mac mini doesnt go beyond 2gb because OSX can run full speed with 1gb ram. I like having 4gb ram in both my imac and macbook pro because i do bootcamp windows, and windows + many games require alotta ram XD
    Regardless, the mini costs way more per spec than a pc. Im going to put 4gb in my hacintosh so i can virtualize XP when i need something osx cant do. Im a ram whore anyway. I like me some ram. Lots and lots of ram. Mmmmm.

@andromeda
    This is really easy, you just need to set the windows drive to Active. The Active drive is where the bios looks to for an OS. You can set the windows partition active again by booting into windows, right-click on My Computer, select Manage. On the left pane select Disk Management. Find the Windows drive, right click on it, and choose Mark Partition as Active. You will then need to set up the windows bootloader to see OSX.
    This guide can explain it better than me:
    Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh) - InsanelyMac Forum
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker pokey8349's Avatar
    i am going to do this tomorrow/in the next few days.

So I will have OS X and Vista on my PC - I will let you know my results
    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i can only imagine you making halo references during sex lol

"oh god... the flood is coming... ahhhhhhh"
    NEW SITE-RECRUITING STAFF JOIN>> www.modifyurpsp.co.nr

Trust Unto God and He Shall Direct Your Path

Visit the site for free ISO's and movies! - http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

im not saying mac isn't more expensive. But running vista on a iMac G5 with a overclocked 3.2GHz core 2 duo and 2gb of ram, and running it with nothing disabled, and to have a comparable pc buckle some under vista, specially if you run vista and a game.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    First off what the hell are you talking about?

im not saying mac isn't more expensive. But running vista on a iMac G5 with a overclocked 3.2GHz core 2 duo and 2gb of ram, and running it with nothing disabled, and to have a comparable pc buckle some under vista, specially if you run vista and a game.
    1. iMac g5 is PPC, meaning it ain't gonna run windows because there is no intel processor inside it.

2. You can't overclock a mac, besides the b&w g3 mod, there is no bios.

3. If windows buckled under vista with a 3.2ghz C2D, it would probably be hardware related. Something like you suck at over clocking, you have a shitty heat sync, unstable BIOs settings, using a board that is poor for over clocking, or are trying to run some demanding game using the on board graphics.

Now on to the hackinosh.....

I would have to say that kalyway 10.5.1 is the best OS X86 release ever. I have tried many on several different hardware configurations.

I only replied to this thread because I found it ironic that I just completed a hackintosh build from the ground up. Then I find a whole slew of misinformation being thrown around by somebody waving their Steve bible around.

Here's what I put together for less than $800

Intel q6600 Quad core @ 2.4ghz (3.0ghz clocked and stable right now)
    ASUS p5k motherboard (just p5k not p5k-e, p5k premium, etc)
    2gb pc2-5300 RAM
    EVGA 7300gs nvidia card

Then I got the usual a case, a hard drive, DVD drive, power supply, etc.

All of this came to just about $800. Then I sold my Dual 2.0ghz powermac g5 for $900; thus coming out way ahead on both hardware and cash.

Anyways back to what you are trying to get going. The biggest draw to kalyway is it's excellent support for EFI emulation and vanilla kernel, something your sse2 processor is going to have a hard time with. Kalyway is also pretty much tailored towards the P35 chipset, which means mainly ASUS boards from the p5w and p5k series. However there are extensive .kexts, patches, and mods to make hardware work.

However, I do not think kalyway is for you, since you are lacking the sse3 processor, kalyway will install on sse2 but your not going to get the full featured install.

I would suggest picking up Uphuck 10.4.9i. It is a small release, something like 1.8gb. It is also a well put together intel only release. I promise nothing on hardware compatibility.

PSPMOD is not the place for OS X86 help and info,

go to these places

Before you go anywhere or fire up that torrent client, go to the OS X86 wiki hardware compatibility pages and do your research. Find out what works for your machine, or if it will work at all.

Main Page - OSx86

InsanelyMac (a ridiculous amount of info on all sorts of hardware configurations, tips, tricks, and tutorials.)

In the end if you have a pre-built machine laying around that is compatible then your in luck; but you will still probably face hurdles in the process. In my experience, it is just best to build a machine tha is tailored for OS X86. Research the shit out of the net, find out what people are using. The most important component is the motherboard. You can even have an AMD hackintosh. I installed OS X on my acer 3680 that has the same processor as yours. I guarantee your going to have a network related problem. You NIC might work with some patches, but that wifi card is probably an intel card, meaning it will not work in OS X86. HP also mates the wifi card to the Mother board so it cannot be replaced by any different model. That way if it breaks you have to purchase a replacement part from HP. Some people have HEX edited their bios to get around it and replace the card with one that works, but thats risky and a pain in the ass. My internal wifi never worked in my acer and I had to use a usb dongle. After losing two of those, I installed Windows XP.

oooohhhh no mac boy runs windows......system error,,,,,,,, a process that should never fail has failedddddd
    Last edited by urineanus; 03-27-2008 at 04:41 AM.

lol i have a iMac G5 right infront of me with a intel core 2 duo in it...

http://www.mp3-music-player.com/news...le_iMac_g5.jpg

thats an apple iMac G5, which does not have PPC it has Intel.

secondly, you can overclock your mac, your idea that you must do this using bios is retarded. You can physically tweak cpu speeds too!

i upped the speed on my mac by physically removing resistors.

EDIT: you are only half right with the G5 having PPC, the old ones did, but you can only get it with intel now, and i bought mine bout a year ago? yup...def has core 2 duo...
    Last edited by Nosympathy; 03-27-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast