Thread: Music player that can sync to a folder.

1. #1 Music player that can sync to a folder. 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    iTunes is pretty much useless to me because it cant sync to a folder. It will only rcognize songs that you "import" through it. This is bad because if i add music to my music hdd while in windows, iTunes in osx isnt going to see it, i would have to go through the whole importing process which is a giant waste of time. Its really stupid that iTunes lacks this one simple feature, but anyway, im not here to rant about iTunes, im looking for a *good* osx music player that will sync to a folder. Songbird isnt really that great of a program, at least it never worked well for me. Does anyone else know what i can use?
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I found this on life hacker about Itunes syncing to a folder, It's not exactly what your looking for but I thought it might help you:
    "I do this on OS X using Automator. I have a workflow that starts with "Find Files in Finder", set to find audio files in the folder I'm monitoring (which happens to be my iTunes library folder, since it's accessed from 3 different computers) that have been modified in the last 2 weeks. That task feeds into a "Add Tracks to Playlist" action, where "Existing playlist" is selected and "Library" is the chosen playlist (if you've renamed your main library to something else, you'd use that instead, I believe). It's then set to run automatically each night."

Here's the link I found this on:Hack Attack: Automatically sync iTunes to any folder(s)

If I still had my macbook I would run through this and give you a tutorial or whatever, but I'm not familiar enough with Automator to do it from memory, so you'll have to figure the rest out yourself.

that sounds like it should work. I would have to set iTunes to import tracks when they are played, right? I would rather not do that because then every time i play a random mp3 file its going to import it to my library and im going to have a mess.
    Very funny....not.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    that sounds like it should work. I would have to set iTunes to import tracks when they are played, right? I would rather not do that because then every time i play a random mp3 file its going to import it to my library and im going to have a mess.
    That shouldn't matter, as long as you have the automator actions set right, it should add the new tracks whenever you set it to run(once a week, every day,etc). You shouldn't have to set itunes to import all played tracks.

So i can play random songs and it wont add them, but it will add songs that are put in the playlist? That would kind of make sense.
    Do you know how to set the script to run every time itunes starts? That way i always get my new music.
    Very funny....not.

I don't know about setting up it like that, like I said, I wasn't that familiar with the automator when I had my mac, but you could just manually run the script when you open itunes. That would only be 2 extra clicks, and you wouldn't have to go through all the bs of importing IN itunes any more.It would just add the new tracks to your library.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Nosympathy's Avatar
    sounds like its changing the directory of the individual song, so the itunes directory is no longer souly in the music/itunes folder, but where ever the song is located.
    18/12/2007 05:19 PM free2rap622: i know
    18/12/2007 05:19 PM Nosympathy: stuff aint cheap, but it'll give you cfw...
    18/12/2007 05:19 PM Nosympathy: means u need alotta 24K gold
    grayfox_snake: u write inglish fine
    12/12/2007 05:43 PM The_Mechanix: yeah
    12/12/2007 05:43 PM Nosympathy: and the smallest penis
    12/12/2007 05:43 PM The_Mechanix: nick nack paddy whack i still got the biggest sack