Thread: OSx86

1. #1 OSx86 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Bamhsc's Avatar
    Anyone tried it? I've been looking into it and need some help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Plus, the advert is a girl eating snow...
    +1 for the snow.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    canada2113 and dannyf have experience in that field.
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    lol, thanks!
    I am actually running osx86 right now, everything working 100% (although i did kinda build this pc with osx86 in mind).
    What do you need to know?
    Very funny....not.

Well I have an Hp pavilion dv6000. Intel mother board, processor and graphics. So far I've just been researching but I haven't found a guide for me that's straight forward enough to follow step by step that suits my notebook. So I just had a couple questions.

I'm running vista now. Is there a way to partition off part of the hard drive I'm using with vista and use that for osx? I don't want to dedicate the whole drive to osx and i dont want to lose everything I have with vista now.

Also, can you explain the difference between the vanilla kernel and the other one that's used. Lol I sound like such a noob but I just couldnt find a striaght answer.
    Thanks for the help.
    +1 for the snow.

Partitioning is kinda weird. I think with Vista you can resize the vista partition and give the rest to osx86, but i really dont know, ill check when i can get access to a vista pc.
    Dual-booting is better anyway, it lets you fix things if you screw it up, lol.

The vanilla kernel is the exact same kernel that real macs use. In order to use the vanilla kernel, your computer needs to be able to emulate EFI, which is the mac version of a pc's BIOS. But in order to emulate EFI, you need to have an intel Core2Duo or better. Seeing as a lot of people use AMD processors or have older intel cpu's, people have modified the kernel so it doesnt give a shit about EFI and works well on all hardware. They have also made other modifications to the kernel which allow functions like Sleep and stuff to work better on all hardware.
    The hardest thing to get working on osx86 is Sleep, and most pc's that can use the Vanilla kernel have very good sleep/wake support, but sometimes a patched kernel is better at it. You never really know if it will work at all until either you or someone else tries with the exact same hardware setup as you.

I have a core2duo and an intel P35 board, which is pretty close to what real macs have, but i have to use a modified kernel to get sleep working. There's really no difference in functionality though, so dont think that you need to go vanilla.

With the current modified install discs you are pretty much guaranteed that osx will install, but like i said, sleep is kind of a toss up.

What i suggest you do is grab the iAtkos install disc:
    iATKOS v2.0i Re-release (download torrent) - TPB
    iAtkos keeps the disc as "vanilla" as possible, meaning that he only changes the files that HAVE to be changed to make it work. If that disc doesnt want to load up/install right then look for a Kalyway disc (idk what his newest one is). He changes a TON of stuff in the install disc so that it supports more hardware. I've had great luck with iatkos and wont use anything else, its the only one i got Sleep working on.

Thats a quick and dirty run-through. If you need help with specifics let me know
    Very funny....not.

Helpful info man, I would ask on the osx86 forums but i have and i never get replies.
    A couple more questions before I go through.
    I keep seeing people say that they use .kexts. I assume those are like patches for hardware, etc. but I'm just making sure. And is there a site specified for getting kexts, or should I just look around?

Also, I read about people booting with -v or something along those lines. What does that do?

Last question for now, I have an external hard drive that I kind of want to use for osx. Is there a way to boot osx using an external drive?
    +1 for the snow.

Kext files are like drivers, but for macs. They stand for Kernel EXTension. They get put in a special folder, then when osx boots it checks all those kext's to see if they can tell it how to use your hardware. For the most part, only video and audio kexts are needed, sometimes wifi. An easy way to find them is to search this in google:
    Code:
    name-of-hardware kext site:forum.insanelymac.com
    If its not there, it doesnt exist, lol.

"-v" is short for "verbose" meaning that when you boot, instead of seeing the gray apple logo screen you will see a scrolling block of text that tells you everything that is going on in your computer. When you first install osx86 and after you install kexts it is very useful to boot with -v because you can figure out exactly what is causing a problem, should a problem arise.

Idk about installing to external drives. Ive never done it. If the Windows bootloader recognizes usb drives then it should be really really easy, but idk if it does.
    Very funny....not.

So i decided to buy a separate internal hard drive for running osx. It'll come in a few days and I'll give it a go. Thanks for the help Canada.
    +1 for the snow.

I only managed to get tiger 10.4.6 running on a Hp Pavilion Dv4000.

I tried Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.1, 10.5.2, Leo4all, Leo4allV3)
    I find Hp the most difficult computers to run osx86 on. But good luck.

If youre trying to install on an Hp, id recommend iAtkos v10iR2 (which has run on a dv6000 before) Leo4allv3 has really good driver support also.

Hope you get it up and running, but soon itll get easier with the release of EfiX which is a piece of hardware that allows you to install OSX straight from the original DVD without any patching or extra kext files being added.

Im waiting for it to be released in the UK and im gonna buy one.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

iAtkos is so much better than Kalyway, imo. EfiX looks pretty sweet, but my pc already runs osx perfectly :P
    I wonder if apple will let EfiX go on for long... Its technically against the EULA to install osx on anything but an apple computer.
    Very funny....not.

Yeah I read about efix, that sounds sweet. And also that boot-132 that allows installation from a retail leopard disc. Isn't efix not shipping to UK? Isn't it shipping to places like Malaysia and Taiwan?
    +1 for the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamhsc View Post
    Yeah I read about efix, that sounds sweet. And also that boot-132 that allows installation from a retail leopard disc. Isn't efix not shipping to UK? Isn't it shipping to places like Malaysia and Taiwan?
    Theyre negotiating in countries. Currently its only available in i think Malaysia, Thailand and Hungary or some other eastern european country.

If it doesnt hit the UK ill see if i can grab one online.

I dont think apple will do much, i can see apple in the very near future switching to OS X running on x86 PC's. I dont think their hardware sales on Computers are doing so well, at least im hoping they switch...

Technically the people at EFiX arent installing OS X on non apple hardware so i dont think apple can bring a lawsuit to their doors, but anyone who buys it and installs OS X on their PC and apple find out, im sure they could have a lawsuit then...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Steve Jobs wont let any apple OS run on generic hardware. Apple probably couldnt handle it, imo. They support about 10 different hardware configurations now and they probably wouldnt be able to figure out the millions of different hardware out there.

By profit revenue, apple is technically a hardware company. They make so much money on their overpriced hardware (yes, it is overpriced so nobody be a fanboy and say it isnt) that they can afford to sell their software for a few bucks.
    Very funny....not.