Thread: Almost the complete process to create custom iPhone rings

1. #1 Almost the complete process to create custom iPhone rings 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP shiv's Avatar
    To skip the back story and get to the crux of my post, skip to the red text (aren't I thoughtful?)

So my friend was showing off her new iPhone, and I must say that I was never very impressed with the fondlable glass thing that gets gross after a few minutes of use (unless you have these crazy things, or really clean hands)..

She asked me to "pick a ring tone" and I was somewhat intrigued by this (since my phone is so ghetto, I have to stick with the few tones that it came with).
    I chose a song, she downloaded a clip of it from some website, synced the ring and a picture of me from facebook to my contact on her phone within seconds.
    I really was impressed with how far the iPhone came in such little time.

We have a thing where she shouts out my name really long and loud whenever she sees me (be it 4am stumbling in from the club and waking the roommates) and I respond in turn, of course
    We both thought why not have the ring be me shouting her name out?

Basically, I'm looking for a program to let me join sound files together:
    my custom part, then the rest of the song.
    I used RingRing! to select a segment of song of which an m4r file is created (the ringtone ext iTunes recognises).

It created a new file which was playable in iTunes (I couldn't try syncing since I don't have an iPhone, but I assume since iTunes likes it, it'll work).

I used sound recorder, made an mp3 of my clip and I want to join that to the song, then use RingRing! for the final cut.

Any recommendations?
    One other thing: is there a limit to the length of iPhone ringtones, or is the 30s thing just a default that the iTunes store gives you?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I skipped to the red text.

Have you tried Nero Wave Editor? I use it to join sound files together and its pretty easy to use. You can get a trial from neros site.

Also, im not sure on the time limit, i have an ipod touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

oh shit, i have that program in my nero suite...

damnit.. i made the file, saved it as an mp3 (lame3 codec), but when I used the RingRing! program, it literally ate the file. It totally disappeared and I couldn't even recover the file.

Audacity might be a better program. I've never used Nero Wave Editor, but no Nero program has ever really impressed me. Audacity is free, open source, and really easy to use.
    You might want to export as WAV then use the RingRing program. Idk if that will fix you up, but its worth a try.
    Very funny....not.

5. #5 Successfully created iPhone ringtone 
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Audacity might be a better program. I've never used Nero Wave Editor, but no Nero program has ever really impressed me. Audacity is free, open source, and really easy to use.
    You might want to export as WAV then use the RingRing program. Idk if that will fix you up, but its worth a try.
    I took your advice and exported it (with Nero again) to WAV, then used iTunes to convert it to mp3 and RingRing! converted it no problem.

I'll look into Audacity for any further fiddlage.
    Now all I need to do is try it on an iPhone.

Thanks.

Success! But the iPhone only syncs ringtones that are 30 seconds or less.

I used audacity to chop it down and it worked.

Another method to create them is simply to convert your mp3s to AAC using iTunes then change the extension from m4a to m4r manually.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by shiv; 08-15-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: didn't want 2 dble post and have pple bitchin @ me

Junior Member PSP User
    I found a really good article on this a while ago, but i can't find it in a slew of BS articles that come up on google now.
    Now that renaming the filepath doesn't work, do this.

1) Download the program "MakeiPhoneRingtone" from here; rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

2) Select a song you want to turn into a ringtone in iTunes

3) Go to File -> Get info (or press command+I)

4) Go to the "Options" tab

5) Edit the start and end times to reflect the desired period of your ringtone (ex; you want the part of the song from 15-30 seconds, so set start to "15" and end to "30").

6) Test your "ringtone" by double clicking the song you just edited. If it plays the way you want it to on your phone, proceed to set 7). If not, return to step 5).

7) Highlight desired song and go to Advanced -> Create AAC version.

8) Drag newly created ringtone to the desktop

9) Open MakeiPhoneRingtone and drag desktop icon of your song onto the MakeiPhoneRingtone console.

10) Ringtone should play in iTunes.

11) Clean up! Highlight the song you edited to make your ringtone, press command + I and uncheck the start and end time boxes (or else that section all you'd ever hear of the song whenever you tried to play it). Delete the shortened AAC file on your desktop.

this was an old post
    Make sure you read the date before posting.. instead make a new thread.

well this way it's adding onto one successful process of making a ringtone (although the title is a bit misleading now )

Audiko upload your mp3 cut the part you want and download the .m4r file. easiest way....old thread i know.