Thread: iPod Touch 2G Jailbreak

1. #1 iPod Touch 2G Jailbreak 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Well I noticed no one posted this yet so what the hell.

The 2G touch was jailbroken back in February I believe. It was "tethered" which means that in order to boot you would need to connect to a computer and send like 8 lines of code to the device through command prompt/terminal.
    Just about a month ago a company called NitroKey found a way to get an untethered iPod to boot. They started selling this software which pissed off the iPhone dev team. They already had an untethered method but they were waiting till this years Apple WWDC in hopes that the new iPhone wouldnt patch the untethered jailbreak. If they could keep the untethered method to themselves till then, Apple wouldnt be able to patch it till next year.

To "get back" at the NitroKey company, the DevTeam released their untethered method. And as always there is no cost.

Now there is an updated QucickPwn. Its official from the DevTeam and it is incredibly easy to use. It works with Windows, Mac, and Linux- first linux jailbreak yet.

Step 1: Download QuickPwn/redsn0w 0.3 (same thing)
    Dev-Team Blog
    Extract it and open the .exe
    It will guide you in every step, theres only like 2 haha.
    It will also tell you if you're in DFU mode.

Step 2: DFU Mode
    1. Connect the iPod to your computer. Turn up the speakers to aid you in the DFU mode process, you'll want to listen to the USB Connect/Disconnect chimes.
    2. Turn the iPod completely off. (Hold the power button till Slide to Poweroff appears.
    3. At the same time hold both the Power and Home buttons till you hear the USB chime. Then Release the POWER button, the one at the top and continue to hold the home button.
    4. Continue to hold this for about 15 seconds.
    5. If done correctly, the redsn0w.exe window will say "DFU Mode successful"
    6. Now just wait for the process to complete.

If you're wondering how this works:
    It downloads the DevTeams ramdisk straight to the iPod. It then applies the redsn0w firmware patches and reboots the iPod. The ramdisk on the iPod immediately starts flashing the NOR.
    You're probably thinking, "well if it flashes, does all the data get erased?"
    No, it doesnt. The NOR only restore does not touch the media on the device. It only flashes the filesystem. This is a great way for people to easily change their bootlogos without needing to rejailbreak the entire iPod again.

Any questions? Just post them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMB3Rs
    Like Oh Em Gee, like i like your like name and like i feel like this like should be like a thread and like not something handled in like a PM.
    PSN: x07andrew70x
    MotorStorm, Ratchet and Clank Future Tools of Destruction,
    Lair, TimeShift, Call Of Duty 4, Resistance Fall of Man, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    dont bother with this, use QuickFreedom, its alot easyer worked like a charm for me

QuickFreedom

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    You do realize how much more prerequisites there are to QuickFreedom right? The worst is libusb and if not on a XP or Mac you hve to install it with compatibility mode and you get BSOD on every boot. So any yes, bother with this. There are no extra requirements. It's actually a lot more easy than quickfreedom. You put it in DFU mode, double click the exe and it does it's thing. You don't even need to press enter. Also, with QuickFreedom you have to restore to the ipsw which means you loose all your data, with quickpwn you loose nothing.
    So please bother with QuickPwn. It's so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMB3Rs
    Like Oh Em Gee, like i like your like name and like i feel like this like should be like a thread and like not something handled in like a PM.
    PSN: x07andrew70x
    MotorStorm, Ratchet and Clank Future Tools of Destruction,
    Lair, TimeShift, Call Of Duty 4, Resistance Fall of Man, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    im on vista and no bluescreen yet
    loose data, back-it-up
    u only need libusb and the 2.2.1 ipsw, libusb could be used for future programs
    and for the bootlogos, use quickfreedom 1.20