Thread: 5 Unreleased Video Game Systems You Never Knew About

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 5 Unreleased Video Game Systems You Never Knew About 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker yaboyryan666's Avatar
    What if Sony had developed the SNES CD add-on? There might not have been the PlayStation. Find that and more in this interesting list. Would you have bought any of these systems if they had been released?

Sega Neptune

The Sega Neptune was basically a two-in-one game system (Genesis/32X), planned for release in 1995. Unfortunately, by the time a working protoype was ready, the Sega Saturn took the spotlight.

Sega felt that consumers would not be interested in the Sega Neptune, so the project was scrapped. Of the two prototypes that were made, neither actually functioned, but were just empty cases. The proposed retail price for the unit was US$200

Atari Jaguar Duo

Like the Neptune, the Jagaur Duo was a dual system, combining the Jaguar and Jaguar CD into one console. Unfortunately, the Jaguar CD didnâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t sell as many units as the company had hoped, so they scrapped the idea before a prototype was built.

NanoGear

Basically a portable PC, NanoGear is what the GP2X shouldâà ƒÆ’¢â€šà ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠀šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢ve been. It allows users to create their own games with the included tools and sports built-in networking.

Pretty high tech handheld that looks like it never got off the drawing board

Sega VR

Sadly, Segaâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s answer to Nintendoâ â‚ 䉉 ‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s Virtual Boy never quite made it. Basically, it ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â €šÂ¬Ã…“was based around an IDEO virtual reality headset (HMD) with LCD screens in the visor and stereo headphones. Inertial sensors in the headset allowed the system to track and react to the movements of the userâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s head.ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡à ‚Â¬Ãƒâ€š?

The company claimed the project was stopped because the VR was so real users would move while wearing the headset and injure themselves. The limited processing power of the system makes this claim unlikely, although there were reports of testers developing headaches and motion sickness

SNES CD

What some of you may not know is that Nintendo actually had contacted Sony to develop this accessory, but in the end, the talks fell through.

Ultimately, negotiations with both Sony and Philips fell through, and the two companies went on to develop their own consoles based on their initial dealings with Nintendo (the PlayStation and the CD-i respectively), Philips also gaining the right to release a series of CD-i titles based on popular Nintendo franchises

*** Source: psp-news.dcemu.co.uk ***
    ░▒▓Dark_Alex▓▒░ is a PSP hacking GOD.
    Dark-Alex.org

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    ive heard about the snes cd as well as the nepture. sucks being old sometimes
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Daedalin's Avatar
    Interesting stuff.

Philips CD-i, though... *shudder* If there are video games in hell, it's those two damn Zelda games >.<
    PSP History: 2.60 > 2.71 > 1.50 > 3.02oeA > 3.02oeB > 3.03oeA > 3.03oeB > 3.03oeC > 3.10oeA > 3.10oeA' > 3.03oeC
    Want a gameboot? Click here and get me the video!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker demondude777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    ive heard about the snes cd as well as the nepture. sucks being old sometimes
    Chalk those up for me and the Jag Duo.

The Sega VR is news to me...and I am not buying the whole "so realistic" comment. Anyone who has seen a Virtual Boy or knows of the technology in that era wouldn't expect more than atari graphics being fed into the eyes. Folks, if you believe that 4 black circles and a big green box make a car, then yes the claim is valid, and yes you are an idiot as well.

Dead- all they play in hell is Big Rigs

June 2005 - PSP homebrewed
    August 2006 - DS homebrewed

Embrace diversity.....play both handhelds the way they weren't meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by demondude777
    I am now your love cleric.

$200 for the sega neptune... what the hell were they thinking... thats more than a ps2.
    were they on crack or something
    lol
    Dark-Alex.org

Quote Originally Posted by yaboyryan666
    $200 for the sega neptune... what the hell were they thinking... thats more than a ps2.
    were they on crack or something
    lol
    basically, youre comparing release prices of 2 systems from 2 different generations. $200 in 1995 isnt that same as $200 is today. its like calling the sega nomad expensive when comparing it to the sony psp. "the nomad has shit graphics and it costs $200??? the psp is the same price and looks so much better" and again its a difference of eras, pricing, inflation, and technology. its really not fair to compare systems from different eras on a graphicals vs. price. times change, money values change, technology changes.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

i understand.
    but if those same producers look back at those things that they were gonna release back in the days and see how much they were gonna sell them for, they would probably call themselves nuts too.
    Dark-Alex.org

Still I think if all the Neptune was, was two already released sytems combined they could hardly seel that for 200 dollars, what would anyone have to gain when you could by the two separate for the same cost if not a little cheaper?
    Currently running 3.03 OE-C

it makes perfect sense: its sega. they tryed to sell us a portable sega genesis like... 2 months before its official extinction.

all systems are expensive when they first come out... its just the way it is. when they sell enough to break even, then the price drops come.

nintendo (nes): $199.99 (1985)
    Super Nintendo (Snes): $210 (1990)
    Sega Genesis: $190 (1991)
    Playstation: 299.99 (1995)
    Sega Saturn: $399.99 (1995)
    Nintendo 64: $199 (1996)

see the trend? most game systems debut @ around $200, so the Neptune is no surprise. Sega was just pricing them based on market trends
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker miamiheat4life's Avatar
    damn Sega Saturn was expensive i never realized how expensive it was. Maybe that was because i was about 6 when it came out. Damn now i feel bad for make in my parents buy these systems

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Hockeyman's Avatar
    yes yes most depute around 200 dollars cough..... PS3 cough.....cough...........
    2% of the people on the internet have a sig that bashes 98% of the people on the internet. If you are in the 98% whoaren't bastard F***'s with a superiority complex, copy and paste this into your sig.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman
    yes yes most depute around 200 dollars cough..... PS3 cough.....cough...........
    youll aslo note that i didnt include last or this generations consoles. this time they broke that pricing curve thats been going on for years
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Hockeyman's Avatar
    yeah ok everthings been going out of whack lately........I like to blame it on Bush
    2% of the people on the internet have a sig that bashes 98% of the people on the internet. If you are in the 98% whoaren't bastard F***'s with a superiority complex, copy and paste this into your sig.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

when in doubt, blame Bush. they should print that on the back of quarters
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Arby_3000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    when in doubt, blame Bush. they should print that on the back of quarters
    The Dollar bill should have that in latin also. >_>
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast