Thread: Top 10 Game Franchises That Need Reform

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Top 10 Game Franchises That Need Reform 
    Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    ign ran a nice little article about the top 10 game series that need to either die or reform. this sounds like a nice lil top for debate, so heres their top 10

10. Worms
    9. Street Fighter
    8. Star Fox
    7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    6. Tomb Raider
    5. Turok
    4. Pac-Man
    3. Mega-Man
    2. Dynasty Warriors
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog

personally i think that Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy should be up there. between GT 2 and GT 4, very little changed with the exception of a couple new tracks and cars. FF games pretty much remain the same in every release, so id like to see something groundbreaking from their camp too

Thoughts?

http://psp.ign.com/articles/766/766188p1.html
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker demondude777's Avatar
    Personally I would think that Tenchu, Wipeout and Grand Theft Auto should be on there too.

Also add one genre: Survival Horror.

June 2005 - PSP homebrewed
    August 2006 - DS homebrewed

Embrace diversity.....play both handhelds the way they weren't meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by demondude777
    I am now your love cleric.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    The battle system for Final Fantasy is getting an overhaul in FFXIII, so they should freshen up the franchise a bit when it comes out some time around the holiday season of '07.

I agree that the worms series needs some work. The 2D worms games are great, the 3D worms games not so much. Worms Armegeddon was the best in the series. I was disappointed (although it was still a decent game) with Worms: Open Warfare. It had about a 1/3 of the weapons as Armegedon and nothing really new or innovative. In fact, I would have welcomed an exact port of Armegedon to the PSP over open warfare.

Grand Theft Auto needs to do something different in the next version. It seems like its the same game, new city pretty much every time. Gets way repetetive and needs to be freshened up.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

GTA is beyond played out. its proly the most overrated game series to ever be released. people overlook the fact that the driving and aiming controls are horrid, the story is repeated everytime, and the graphics are terrible. ya know why? cause u can do whatever the fuck u want. apparently having a buttload of weapons and the ability to steal any car gets gamers hot under the collar, so they overlook the games massive flaws just to have a 5 minute orgasm. i think the next game should be a tribute to the very first GTA. taking place in the mid 30s w/ tommy guns and mob wars. atleast then it might be interesting
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    5. Turok
    4. Pac-Man
    ]
    7. i think THPSP8 was a totally new approach. new visuals, better online, whole new trick system.
    5. how many turoks are there, 2? i know theres a 360/ps3 version coming out.
    4. what more can you do to it, it will never die!!

GTA does need to be completely redone.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker demondude777's Avatar
    GTA is beyond played out. its proly the most overrated game series to ever be released. people overlook the fact that the driving and aiming controls are horrid, the story is repeated everytime, and the graphics are terrible. ya know why? cause u can do whatever the fuck u want. apparently having a buttload of weapons and the ability to steal any car gets gamers hot under the collar, so they overlook the games massive flaws just to have a 5 minute orgasm. i think the next game should be a tribute to the very first GTA. taking place in the mid 30s w/ tommy guns and mob wars. atleast then it might be interesting
    Thank god someone calls it how it is. I had a group of coworkers that would talk about what they did in that game everyday. It was always the same story: "Oh man, I got the sniper rifle, then stole a car and drove to a building and picked people off. Then the cops came and I started picking them off." Then they would say how they could play the game everyday fo the rest of their lives. That was 5 years ago...I wonder if they still play it.

I don't think it is the stealing cars, but being able to kill cops that people like. At least that is the firs thing someone mentions when they talk about GTA. And that is what is called shallow. You don't need a deep story or interesting characters, but kill a cop and it is a gold hit.

June 2005 - PSP homebrewed
    August 2006 - DS homebrewed

Embrace diversity.....play both handhelds the way they weren't meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by demondude777
    I am now your love cleric.

it boggles the mind. majority of gamers rather play that garbage then something with actual depth and content
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Arby_3000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzle
    The battle system for Final Fantasy is getting an overhaul in FFXIII, so they should freshen up the franchise a bit when it comes out some time around the holiday season of '07.

I agree that the worms series needs some work. The 2D worms games are great, the 3D worms games not so much. Worms Armegeddon was the best in the series. I was disappointed (although it was still a decent game) with Worms: Open Warfare. It had about a 1/3 of the weapons as Armegedon and nothing really new or innovative. In fact, I would have welcomed an exact port of Armegedon to the PSP over open warfare.

Grand Theft Auto needs to do something different in the next version. It seems like its the same game, new city pretty much every time. Gets way repetetive and needs to be freshened up.
    Totally agree with you on that one. only 20 challenges, and non of the good weapons (Baseball bat) was a complete let down
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzle
    The battle system for Final Fantasy is getting an overhaul in FFXIII.
    It already did. Have none of you played FFXII (12) ? The battle system was pretty-much rewritten from the ground up to make it more MMORPG-like.

Junior Member PSP User
    lol the very first one with the birds eye view?lol that used to be on my computer! the second one was so shit though.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED
    It already did. Have none of you played FFXII (12) ? The battle system was pretty-much rewritten from the ground up to make it more MMORPG-like.
    Agreed. What more can you ask from a Series? Switch genres from RPG to FPS? I think a completely different battle system is pretty different.
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

whats wrong with all of you bad mouthing gta!

I love the gta series ... its always entertaining ... ok its not very original now and each new edition adds something very small buts it's one of the most open games around. The comedy is brilliant and the sound tracks are always good ... some times you just end up going for a cruise becuase its a good song.

Generally speaking game series are crap becuase people get used to them, slap a different skin on and change the names of the guns and that seems to keep most people fooled.

If you really want to complain about overdone series then just post a list of EA's publishing history.

yeah, like the madden games. they keep putting the same crap out every year and still have the nerve to charge $50 for the newest one.

and gta is painfully boring. open games dont nessicarly make them better then linear games. a good example of a semi-linear game is Farcry for the pc. youre given a task to complete and there is usually a couple ways to go about doing it. u might do it stealthly, go in guns blazing, or just run. its up to you. people will keep buying GTA titles for the simple reason that they are easly entertained and require nothing more then a armory of guns and plenty of defenseless civilians. i on the other hand, require more depth
    R.I.P Zoidberg

was i the only one that wasnt wowed by farcry's pretty shader effects?

The first few levels were fun but then it got really boring ... and what the hell was with the ai ... they either had super vision or you had a neon sign over you ... oh hang on your character is wearing a hawiian shirt ... maybe that was it.

The driving is the best part of gta ... its not realistic its just fun

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker bender123's Avatar
    Yeah I agree for the most part, but if we get so hard on things, then technically everything is a rip or copy or imitation of something, its never 100% original just slightly more creative. I think people are a little too hard on FF, yeah its simliar but they always try something different it might not be your style but at least they try here and there. But for the most part I agree Tomb Raider needs a huge overhaul as do the other games on the list. GTA is just boring and has 0 depth as Julie said and should be added to the list.
    Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying get some rest
    From all the unborn chicken voices in my head
    What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)
    What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast