Thread: SONY : LocationFree Player

1. #1 SONY : LocationFree Player 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    Hi Everyone,

I don't know if anyone remembers, but when Sony first introduced the LocationFree player it was around $350, well if you wanted one but it was to expensive, well nows your chance to get one for $89.
    Remember this allows you to watch TV on your PSP via the WiFi, also allows other wireless devices as well.

eCost LINK

LocationFree - Live TV (PSP / Notebook / Desktop) The LocationFree Player Pak includes the Base Station and LocationFree Player. You Can Even Watch Live TV and DVDs on your PlayStation Portable or on your Notebook or Desktop PC Internet Connection. Special Price: $89.00

INFO -------------------
    The LF-PK1 LocationFree Player Pak gives you the ability to view live TV, recorded TV (via DVR), VHS tapes or DVDs from your home to your PlayStation Portable or PC over a broadband internet connection. The Player Pak includes the LocationFree base station and easy to install LocationFree Player for PC.2. NetAV NetAv enables you to connect your Base Station via a broadband internet connection from outside your house (at public wireless access point, hotel etc.) You can enjoy your TV and favorite A/V content virtually anywhere. Initital setup is easy and quick. Requires PC with Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) / Windows XP, a broadband connection with a minimum of 300 kbps of uplink/downlink speed, and a routable IP address. Users must have either a Fixed IP address or must register with a Dynamic DNS service. SONY does not offer a Dynamic DNS service. SONY recommends the service provided by Dynamic Network Services Inc., which can be found at www/dyndns.org. When using a home network, the user�s home router must support either DMZ or Port Forwarding.

Technical Specifications

General

Location Free Player allows you to stream live TV, VCR or DVDs from your home to your PlayStation� Portable or PC over a broadband internet connection1.

On-screen universal remote supports major brand A/V equipments.

One button quick PC registration

Automatic bit control for NetAV

WorryfreeSETUP with wizard and automatic settings

Video

3D Digital Comb Filter

NTSC Tuner and 2 Video Inputs

Input/Output

Base Station:

1 X Ethernet Port

1 X RF Input

2 X Video Input (1X S-Video)

1 X IR Blaster

DC In

Power Requirements

100-240V, 50/60Hz (Monitor and Base Station)

PC System Requirements

Operating Systems:

Windows XP Professional/Home Edition ServicePack 2

Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4

Processor: Pentium 4 1 GHz or more

RAM: 256 MB or more

Available

Hard Disk Space:

300MB or more

Monitor Resolution: 800 x 600 pixels or higher, HighColor (16bit) or more

LAN connection or IEEE802. 11a, b or g compatible LAN capability

PlayStation Portable System Requirements

Firmware Version: 2.50 or later with LocationFree� Base Station firmware 2.00 or later

Supplied Accessories

LocationFree Player for PC

IR Blaster

AC Adaptor

Operations Instruction

DVD Intruction Video

Weight

Base Station: 1 lb. 1 oz.

Dimensions (WxHxD)

1 13/16" x 7 1/4" x 5 1/8"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    thats pretty hot! thanks for the tip man!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Yeah its good to know I didnt know you needed that thing to use the Location Freel Player. I saw it once but never again.

psp
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker psp's Avatar
    hmm didnt know location free worked on just about every hotspot,
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder
    l Rockin the 3.90 M33-3 Fat psp l Paintball Player l Reppin and sponsored by Dynamic Games Paintball

Senior Member I Modded My PSP darth vader's Avatar
    Cool Find...

That's the first version Location Free Player. The new versions (LF-B20 & LF-B10) are still around $250.

If you are near one, Fry's has this same price all the time.

I couldn't quite justify it since Pimpstreamer is free and does most of the same functions.
    _

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed! The ability to modify a PSP is insignifiicant next to the power of the force.

The Bunny is nothing to The Sith!

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker PSPBETTERTHANDS's Avatar
    yeah but whats the quality of this thing? I mean, I haven't been able to get Pimpstreamer working, but when i had VLC media player streaming TV the quality was a little poor... is the quality of video/audio when using this thing anywhere near the quality of cable?
    Hope you had a nice XMas! Help me modding my original Xbox. See my thread in Anything Goes Here forum

Senior Member I Modded My PSP darth vader's Avatar
    That's a good question, hopefully someone who has one will chime in and say what the quality is like!

Pimpstreamer has good quality, as far as I'm concerned, and I've been dealing with TV Studio equipment/image quality for 14 years.

Pimpstreamer works everywhere I can get WiFi access.

It streams my AVI files, DVDs, music, video recorded by my PVR. All fairly high quality stuff that hasn't been processed for PSP (shrunk or resolution decreased.)

The Location Free Player does have advantages though, you can stream live tv, it's not specific to the PSP, you can use a laptop or another computer to watch video. Good stuff!

The instruction manuals can be found here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...dl=LFPK1&LOC=3
    _

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed! The ability to modify a PSP is insignifiicant next to the power of the force.

The Bunny is nothing to The Sith!

good find, but i love pimp streamer

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Arby_3000's Avatar
    the OE custom fws lose the location free ability D:
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

as Arby said

USELESS

new OE Firmwares doesnt have LocationFree
    the only way would be
    Sony Original FW.
    or a 1.5 with devhook. but it would take longer.

Unless somebody gets an idea of a prx that loads a prx.
    so I could put my LocationFree prx on a folder on the ms0,and the launcher prx flashed where the original LocationFree prx was...so when I click on the xmb, the prx will launch locationfree prx on MS... so LocationFree Wouldnt take that much space on flash...

That gives me an idea to work on
    if things goes well, we're going to get back locationfree without quiting on OE firmwares

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker TZone's Avatar
    The whole purpose of this thread was to provide a way to get one of these cheap I knew at one time people were interested, but the cost was to high.
    So I merely provided a way for someone to get one at a considerable lower cost.

And as I have seen on this forum and others, not everyone is running custom/hacked firmware, so I would figure some would benefit from this, since they are probably running on a firmware version that would connect, but I must also point out, this is not just for the psp.

It can connect to other WiFi devices such as laptops or a Wifi pc sitting off in a corner somewhere and you want to watch TV on you pc without running cable, installing a PC TV card etc.....

So in reality, I wouldnt consider this to be "useless" since it serves more then a PSP and for $89 thats very reasonable.

Yea, yea.. pimpstreamer is free but it doesn't serve up TV

12. #12 http://www.pspmod.com/forums/newreply.php 
    So its a rap? I cant use LocationFree whit my 3.40 OE-A FM? Pitty if so cause ive been considering this hard for the kids. Its sounded so nice to wire up in the city/car/train whit homeoffice and stream ie. cartoon network for the shortones..

I was looking into this one:
    Sony LFPK1 LocationFree, 802.11b/g Wifi, MPEG4

Cheapest buy over here is 214 REAL us $$. Nice if someone could nail the NO-GO on locationfree whit custom FM. Cheers.
    Thanks for a superb board! Seek and you shall find
    Treads that ment alot to me recently

Senior Member I Modded My PSP freerider123's Avatar
    Hey man, great find pity we cant use it on custom firmware
    "In the dark nowhere to be found"