Thread: So... I got a Zune...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 So... I got a Zune... 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    As in the Microsoft Zune. I scored it used today, and I've got to say I'm a little impressed. A little more impressed than I was with my iPod even.

First, the bad part - Installing the software was a pain because I bought it used and it came without the install CD. I also had to buy the sync cable for it. Here's a tip - if you are having problems installing the Zune software make sure you have MSI Installer 3.1 or greater.

After software installation everything else is easy. You just run Zune and add files to the library then plug the Zune in and it syncs itself, which is pretty nice. No having to deal with USB mass storage (although the ABILITY to use it as a USB mass storage device would have been nice )

The screen quality is good - on par with the PSP. The brightness is just bright enough to be readable in sunlight but not too bright that it blinds you in a dark room. The sound quality is excellent too.

By far the best thing about it is the remote. When I got my sync cable I decided to just go for the entire kit, so I did. I got a sync cable, an AC adapter, a docking station, a remote, the AV Lineout kit, and a nice case, for $100. Not a bad deal. I can convert movies and watch them on any TV with RCA inputs. Being able to pipe it through a TV is also nice just for listening to the radio or your music collection, or looking at pics. The remote just ties all that together, turning it into a nice home media solution.

Another great feature I liked is that the BIOS is separate from the actual system firmware. If you decide to reformat your device (wipe drive and firmware) you won't 'brick' it like so many other devices ( *cough*PSP*cough* ) All ya do is do the format procedure then connect it to your PC and run the Zune software - it automatically grabs the latest firmware off the net and installs it on the Zune via USB. A Zune reboot later and it's like showroom again. Handy for if you ever want to just start fresh or change the name of it or something.

Finally, I really love the A/V Optical Lineout. Here in about 30 minutes I'm gonna watch a DVD-quality movie from it - on my flatscreen TV

Again, I've gotta say I'm a little impressed. M$ hasn't worked out all the bugs yet, but I have to say 'Bravo.' I'd rather have this than the iPod, if only to piss off the Apple elites And man, that damn screen is beautiful in landscape mode...

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Arby_3000's Avatar
    Nice,
    I personally dont like either the Ipod, or the Zune.. so I'll stick to my psp for my Music needs or the old 2gb mp3 player i have laying around.
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    One question Darked.

One thing I love about the IPOD is that you can customize your Albums art and whenever you play them you see the little art of the album in the screen.

Is this feature on the ZUne??

Senior Member I Modded My PSP thetwiztidfreak's Avatar
    Ehh buddy of mine has one I will stick with my ZEN Vision:M

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mime
    One question Darked.

One thing I love about the IPOD is that you can customize your Albums art and whenever you play them you see the little art of the album in the screen.

Is this feature on the ZUne??
    Yep. Actually you don't have to set the album art - it sets itself via internet (correctly most of the time) and the album art automatically syncs when you sync the music. Same for videos if there is a placeholder pic. That's the great thing about the Zune - EVERYTHING is automatic. When you've added new songs to your PC library and you hook up your Zune it automatically syncs the new songs you didn't have on your Zune yet.

The most awesome feature of this thing is that when I listen to 106.5 The End, my Zune TELLS me it's 106.5 The End, that the Genre is 'New Rock' and also the artist and track playing at that time. When Jack starts talking (uh the DJ) it TELLS me I'm listening to the 'Jack at Night Radio Program.' When it comes to radio this thing is straight pimp. Just check this out:

Now THAT'S what I call useability.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP mofo196's Avatar
    You and the other 6 people who bought them (oh wait, you got it used make that 5 people) should start a club.
    --
    Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP R3TR3C's Avatar
    Lol...more than 5 people my friend...it's just because ignorant people like you use ipods and don't know any better...

Join my skateboard forums "The Daily Grind" -- www.thedg.net completely free! If you are a skater/interested in skating then go now!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Thanks for letting me know Darked! This looks like a kick ass mp3 player, I wanted to know that. It does it automatically via Internet.. how good is that!

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Snookao's Avatar
    I have an Ipod (free) but ive messed around with my friends Zune and it is the SHIT!

It's sound quality is great and movie quality.....but best of all you dont have to worry about putting the songs in the Zune music player on your pc. Unlike itunes you can just drag and drop your music files.
    "Owned" (often typed in leet speak among gamers) is an internet slang word used commonly in gaming circles to acknowledge a form of superiority through the downfall of another entity, be it another gaming clan, or a single user.

If your not first, your last- Talladega Nights

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    yeah, my friend has one. I don't like it that much though..too big

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1231
    yeah, my friend has one. I don't like it that much though..too big
    If i like somthing and its to big... such as the ps3.

I would justify it by saying, Big=Manly

>_>
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

Senior Member I Modded My PSP thetwiztidfreak's Avatar
    It just looks ugly to me. Even If i did decide to get one i would wait like 5 years because you thats how long it will take M$ to fix all the bugs. But i have herd they have been hacking the shit out of those Zunes already and thats cool. Think i even herd something bout Linux running on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thetwiztidfreak
    It just looks ugly to me. Even If i did decide to get one i would wait like 5 years because you thats how long it will take M$ to fix all the bugs. But i have herd they have been hacking the shit out of those Zunes already and thats cool. Think i even herd something bout Linux running on it.
    linux runs on eerything
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

Senior Member I Modded My PSP freerider123's Avatar
    I have a zune and an ipod 80gb video and id have to say the Zune is way better
    "In the dark nowhere to be found"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    why would yo like to run linux on a zune????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast