Thread: Where to start in game programming

1. #1 Where to start in game programming 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Hockeyman's Avatar
    Hey guys Ive been doing alot of research lately on game programming and i was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone here. My first question is what language should I tackle first? I know that C++ is way off but should I start with C or C# possibly another. The ideal language would be one that I do not have to pay some company money to get their software to use it. ( I know this kinda takes C# out of the running. Does anyone have any advice on where to start or could you recomend any good tutorials or books. Any advice is great.
    2% of the people on the internet have a sig that bashes 98% of the people on the internet. If you are in the 98% whoaren't bastard F***'s with a superiority complex, copy and paste this into your sig.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Mmm Ithink you should start with Visual Basic 0.6 or .net

either one is the basics of programming and then comes C.

Visual Basic is softwares and C its more advanced, Like an Operating system is coded in C.

By the way I was in the same track as you, I took a year of programming and I said.. "F### programming" it was too hard for me :P so Im now 3D animating.

Best of luck!

yeah im just trying get my feet on some solid ground. I ve been reading a really good C++ tutorial and am installing dev-cpp right now. I did a little lua and some other things in the past so most of the basic stuff makes complete sense to me.
    2% of the people on the internet have a sig that bashes 98% of the people on the internet. If you are in the 98% whoaren't bastard F***'s with a superiority complex, copy and paste this into your sig.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Your doing good man, I wasn't as devoted as you, and if you keep it that way. You'll get somewhere. I didnt try hard enough. You have a lof of knowledge from the basics to LUA and some C tutorials.

I would say keep it up! and by the way theres some sites that will provide you with "codes" a lof ot them. This way you wont have to start from scratch. If someone did them before why not only copy and paste *But make sure you know what they do in case of error and you need debugging* . a must knowing what it is and what they do. Its just a way to make you work fast.

Good luck!

thanks man and yeah its just going to be a hobby for me, my real dream is to write for a newspaper or magazine.