Thread: Data Recovery

1. #1 Data Recovery 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP texas713's Avatar
    Yeah so my Hard Drive died, pretty much ate itself, and I recently got my hands on a new Samsung 500gb replacement for that old piece of seagate 160gb crap. Problem is, when I put my computer back together I plugged my external harddrive in in all my excitement about having my computer operational again. I forgot to unplug it when I installed windows and pretty much reformatted it. Anyone know a good data recovery program? Preferebly one that's free.

At first I was afraid...I was petrified...wondering how I could live without 3.03oe-c by my side. But then I remembered 3.40oe-a had it all, and I was in awe!
    The mythical 4gb Memstick of Power!
    Black US PSP. 2.71>3.03>1.5>3.03oe-C(The Godking of the Custom FW's)>3.40oe-a (I stand corrected!) TA-82
    Faceplate History: Black>Green w/ White Buttons

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    data recovery software that can recover data from these kinds of situations is quite expensive. I dont think one that is truely free exists. there are other ways of obaining software you should look into, especially if this is a one time use thing.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP freerider123's Avatar
    Tune up utilities has a file recovery program but im not sure if it will work, give it a go thought
    "In the dark nowhere to be found"

yeah well i'm willing to pay the expensive prices to fix my external drive, seeing as how i had a veritable assload of cool shit on it. as well as most-to-all of my psx backups and i can't find my alcohol registry key at the moment.

At first I was afraid...I was petrified...wondering how I could live without 3.03oe-c by my side. But then I remembered 3.40oe-a had it all, and I was in awe!
    Black US PSP. 2.71>3.03>1.5>3.03oe-C(The Godking of the Custom FW's)>3.40oe-a (I stand corrected!) TA-82

psp
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker psp's Avatar
    if its formatted its gone
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder
    l Rockin the 3.90 M33-3 Fat psp l Paintball Player l Reppin and sponsored by Dynamic Games Paintball

Senior Member I Modded My PSP syko_cis's Avatar
    May i suggest either On-Track or GoBack. Google On-Track recovery and Norton GoBack. Neither one is free but they are great recovery applications. They can recover even after multiple formats and even in some cir***stances, physical drive damage.

psp
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker psp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by syko_cis
    May i suggest either On-Track or GoBack. Google On-Track recovery and Norton GoBack. Neither one is free but they are great recovery applications. They can recover even after multiple formats and even in some cir***stances, physical drive damage.
    foreal i never knew about this, nevermind, i take back my last statement
    PSP is back!!!

PSP modder
    l Rockin the 3.90 M33-3 Fat psp l Paintball Player l Reppin and sponsored by Dynamic Games Paintball

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    I thought the Ghost recovery thing, worked ONLY when the application was installed before "the damage". Not afterwards. I still dont understand his problem though; I have an external harddrive and I have no windows in it :S its just my harddrive to backup some of my stuff.

Never have this problem before; im kinda there..

yea, On-Track is sick. i've formatted and reformatted drives and it's recovered the older data, even breaks it down with a partition table. man i've found drives i've had from waaaaaay back, like early - mid 90's that i didn't use anymore because i thought they were bad. On-track was able to pull the data off of them. kind of weird seeing old fat partitions and fat32 partitions with DOS, Win 3.11, and Win 95. GoBack i've only started to use recently after a fellow IT friend of mine suggested it. No complaints about it as well.

MIME- Not Symantec's Ghost. Symantec GoBack. You are right, Ghost is a completely different application for creating disk images. You can then use Ghost Explorer open and extract data from those images. GoBack on the other hand is recovery software that can recover data after a crash or format. I use Ghost quite a bit on the job when we deploy new machines. Unfortunately, we don't recover data. If your drive crashes, it's basically, send the machine in, we copy what we can, if we can off of it, replace the drive, image it, copy whatever data there is to the new drive, then to the back up administrator a call goes. Fun Stuff.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psp
    if its formatted its gone
    That's debatable.

If you did a quick format it just zero'd out the partition tables and the file indexes, leaving the actual data intact (and therefore mostly recoverable.)

If you did a full format (the non-quick option) it zero'd ALL the data on the drive, meaning yer screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkED
    That's debatable...

If you did a full format (the non-quick option) it zero'd ALL the data on the drive, meaning yer screwed.
    Thanks DarkED, forgot to add that ( had an irate end user on the line ), though i'm pretty sure On-Track is able to recover full formatted drives. The majority of recovery software i've used hasn't been able to do that. That's why I highly recommend On-Track. Only time I haven't been able to recover a drive is one that i've triple over written. On-Track makes a great data eraser app as well. But thanks again DarkED.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by syko_cis
    Thanks DarkED, forgot to add that ( had an irate end user on the line ), though i'm pretty sure On-Track is able to recover full formatted drives. The majority of recovery software i've used hasn't been able to do that. That's why I highly recommend On-Track. Only time I haven't been able to recover a drive is one that i've triple over written. On-Track makes a great data eraser app as well. But thanks again DarkED.
    Yeah, some apps can dig really deep and recover some files even after a full format, but for the most part if he full-formatted I doubt he'd be able to recover much. It's possible, Windows Setup partitioner is likely to miss things when it zero's a drive

i'll give this one track a try. I started a full format, but didn't get past one percent before i cancled and quick formated. my computer wouldn't read it until i formatted though so i don't know what i've actually done to the damn thing.