Thread: Xbox Modding?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Xbox Modding? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP psp23's Avatar
    Hello

I have a 200 gb hard drive lying around because I coudln't install it on my pc. So I became interested in the possibility of using it on my xbox (not a 360), which leads to the topic of xbox modding. How is the learning curve of modding an xbox compare to downgrading a psp?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    xbox moding is a lil more complicated. I'm not even going to start talkign about it but you have two options. A softmod, or a hardmod. The softmod lets you play all back ups but you cannot go on xbox live with it. The hardmod is installing a mod chip which you can turn off when you want to go on live. Softmod is free and somewhat challenging where as the modchip is a few dollars and much easier to do. Check out www.xbox-scene.com for more info on xbox mods.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP thetwiztidfreak's Avatar
    I think the softmod is WAY easier no soldering and you don't even have to open up the xbox. takes like 5 minutes. you can also get a soft mod auto installer disk from the usual places that practically does the whole install for you.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    hardmod is only real way to go. put that hardrive in your xbox and order a chip. The soldering job is not that demanding. I did one on my first try. You can always find someone that is skilled in soldering if you dont trust your skills. Make you xbox a media player, and emulator, as well as back up capabilities.

So let me get this straight: If I softmod, I can only have game backups, and nothing else. But if I hardmod, I can upgrade my hd, backup games, music, videos, dvds, as well as have a custom dashboard (firmware I guess)?

i have sent you a pm urineanus. please check when you get the time.

I disagree...softmod is MUCH better than hardmod. With softmod your only messing with the software, not the hardware (except installing your harddrive). I modded my xbox with a 250GB HD while overseas and hands down it's one of my top investments. I can do everything with a softmod that others can do with a chip (including playing xbox live online). Rob listed a good site above. Go there and they've got complete tutorials on who, what, when, where & why. Good luck!!!
    Compliments of Major Zero

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

2.60-2.82-3.03-1.50-3.10 OE-A-3.52 M33-4

Senior Member I Modded My PSP thetwiztidfreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psp23
    So let me get this straight: If I softmod, I can only have game backups, and nothing else. But if I hardmod, I can upgrade my hd, backup games, music, videos, dvds, as well as have a custom dashboard (firmware I guess)?
    NO with a softmod you can do just about everything you can with a chip, except with a chip you can switch it on and off so you can get on xbox live with out getting banned. there are also other options for xbox live like xlink kia which even lets you play games that have system link and no online over the internet , like Halo 1. Go with the softmod its way easier. like the other 2 said xbox-scene is one of the best sites xbox-hq is also another good one to check out. I tryed one of those solderless chips and it sucked. any time i would bump the machine or take it with me some where it would always pop a leg out and i would have to open it and reinstall it, a big pain.

Now I am in a dilema of softmod vs hardmod. My main wish is to install a 200 gb hd as well as a cool homebrew called Xbox Media Center. Can I do that with a softmod? Also, can I back up games, music cds, and DVD movies with a softmodded xbox? Also, in case I go with a chip, is the Duo gx2 chip good?

Quote Originally Posted by psp23
    Now I am in a dilema of softmod vs hardmod. My main wish is to install a 200 gb hd as well as a cool homebrew called Xbox Media Center. Can I do that with a softmod? Also, can I back up games, music cds, and DVD movies with a softmodded xbox? Also, in case I go with a chip, is the Duo gx2 chip good?
    Yes...with a softmod you can do everything you mentioned before. On my softmod, I have Xbox MC, as well as emulators & ROMS (for games that I own) for Atari, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64. You can also have PS1 games on it, but those take up much more space. I have all my games saved on my harddrive(about 85) as well as movies and music. I still lean way toward SoftMods.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbl_Duece
    I have Xbox MC, as well as emulators & ROMS (for games that I own)
    CLEARLY, who would pirate games they don't own!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1231
    CLEARLY, who would pirate games they don't own!
    I feel that I need to clarify that due to all these noobs that get on here and want help or info about downloading or pirating games. Maybe a little reiteration will make them not so moronic.... yeah right!!!

So if I do a softmod can I do non modchip hardware modifications like a bigger hd?

Yes....I went from my original HD, which I think is like 4GB, to a 250 GB.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    I'm still trying to mod my Xbox, and i got as far as a nice USB adapter for the XBox and i downloaded a BUNCH of files from that Xbox homebrew IRC place, but my flash drive just would get formatted when i inserted it into my xbox, then I could save something onto it, but then I'd end up with a thumb drive that Windows (nor OS X) could detect/read. Anyone here understand what I've got to do? Open to IM help!
    MSN: warstrongXan@hotmail.com
    AIM: Laket06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast