Thread: need help with my pc???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 need help with my pc??? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP dylan6879's Avatar
    i dont know why but my comp is going really slow lately my friend told me u can do a pc restore and restore it to factory settings which is wat i want to do but all i can find is system restore but that never helps so if u know where that is or how to do it it would be great if u told me how or tell me how i can get my pc back up to how it use to work
    3.03 oe-c TA-079

(1.5 -2.00 -2.50 -2.60 -2.80 -2.81 -3.03 -1.5 -3.03oe-c -3.30oe-a)
    GAMERTAG:dylan6879

Brittany
    PC restore and system restore are one in the same.
    It backs up your computer to a certain date.

I think you mean you want to
    reformat your computer...

Insert the recovery disk, for the computer you have,
    and BOOT UP that CD while you restart the PC..
    If the CD (normally they are) is bootable,
    you'll get in a menu in which you can "format" and the
    disc will automatically install windows and default drivers for your PC.

system restore jus brings u bak to an earlier date when i said pc restore i meant like restore it to like how it came out the box.

but i dont have a windows cd to restore since i ordered my laptop off dell unless its the blue cd that came with it??
    3.03 oe-c TA-079

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    id try to run disk cleanup first, defrag the HD, remove old apps, delete old files u dont need or use, etc. i liek a app called System Mechanic to keep my pc's clean and running smoothly. just cause its a lil slower doesnt mean u need to do a full on OS install.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

yea ive done all those things but it still seems to be running twice as slow as wen i got it ive moved all my files to external hd so theres nothing on my comp and there nothing installed on my comp that i rlly need or cant reinstall after i reformat it but i even tried using trend micro but it doesnt detect anything says my comp is runnin fine. i also found this program called pc booster that cleared all unnecesary files and changed settings to make it faster. i have no clue what i can do but how do u reinstall the os w/o cd?
    3.03 oe-c TA-079

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Yes, its the blue cd; it says "WIndows XP" or something.

And that happens when your pc has been running for soooo long without cleaning it etc.. So its too late for you. If Defragmenting and cleaning the registry etc didnt work, then do the Recovery CD as Brittany said.

It'll bring your pc to default settings, as when you got the pc the first day. Fresh installed.

i always clean my comp i usually spend like 20mins a week or so cleaning all the junk and unnecesary files..

damn now that i look at the only cd that came with my pc it says word perfect so is there any other way b/c my comp didnt come with the os cd

EDIT:
    alright i jus found the laptop manual this is what it says
    pc restore = restores ur computer to factory original
    system restore = restores ur computer to an earlier time

if u know how to do that tell me pls
    3.03 oe-c TA-079

if it happened suddenly, maybe u picked up one too many spywares... install ad-aware and run that too, see if it makes a difference. a fresh install works, but its a pain in the ass
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Yeah its annoying to get everything back to normal, softwares, codecs, drivers, etc etc.

If you dont have the Restore CD/Recovery Disc.

You need your "WIndows XP" disc then. That one has the fresh install option. In little words you need a WINDOWS xp cd..

if its a factory pc, then u can just copy the keycode off the sticker on the tower and obtain a iso, then burn it to a bootable cd. i did that once when i had to fix a pc with no boot disk. its the easiest method, but again.. a real pain to get it all set up the way u like it again
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    ah yes, ye olde battle against spyware and viruses. Seems as if you are doomed to a fresh install, be sure to back up music and whatever else you want to keep. Next time be sure to protect your PC from the evils of a constantly on internet connection by any means neccessary. Actually disabling your connection when you are not using it, is not a bad idea. Ad-Aware as mentioned is a good program as well. Imagine your PC on the internet is a drunk girl at the prom lookoing for a ride home, bad things can happen.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker lommer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan6879
    system restore jus brings u bak to an earlier date when i said pc restore i meant like restore it to like how it came out the box.

but i dont have a windows cd to restore since i ordered my laptop off dell unless its the blue cd that came with it??
    This all depends on what kind of PC you currently have and the operating system .
    also some spyware can make your comp really slow, like the internet. ...

if you wanna restore your comp back to factory settings then you will need the recovery cd/dvd.
    most of new laptops have the software already installed to create a recovery cd/dvd at the first day(recommended) you use your laptop!

i suggest to search on dell site for answers

http://support.dell.com/

alright thanks for all the help. julie where did u put ur code in to get the iso? that sounds a lot easier to do then lookin for my xp cd
    3.03 oe-c TA-079

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker lommer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan6879
    alright thanks for all the help. julie where did u put ur code in to get the iso? that sounds a lot easier to do then lookin for my xp cd
    You don't get it do you?

what she said is to activate win xp with the code on the sticker of your pc/laptop ! you must get the same version of the os you have now .
    again just go to dell.com support and type recovery in the search option and you will get your answer. that much easier for you

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    First, do the stuff everyone else suggested, including a defrag / disk cleanup / etc. You might also want to go to Start > Run and type this in:

cmd

Then hit enter. The command console will come up. Type this in:

chkdsk /f

It will ask you if you'd like to run a disk check on next boot. Type Y for yes and hit enter. Then reboot, and it'll run the check. This will fix any disk errors you may have, and in some cases, speed up performance.

Now to the nitty gritty Okay man, here's what we do:

1. Run Spybot and Ad Aware.

http://www.spybot.info/

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/...e_personal.php

Download Spybot S&D and Ad Aware SE Personal. Install them and run them one after the other. These are spyware/adware scanners, and they will get rid of any spyware / adware that are slowing down your system. This includes bad registry entires (which in some cases for some apps can slow down things considerably.) For both of them, run FULL SCANS. Spybot is pretty easy to use. Ad Aware has an option for 'smart system scan' and we want to turn this OFF. Make sure 'perform deep scanning' is turned ON. Then scan Don't forget to update them before scanning! They have options to update over the internet.

2. After running Spybot and Ad Aware, do a System Restore.

Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Run it and it'll pop up a window with a calendar, the dates entered into this calendar are the times when WindowsXP automatically made restore points.

The window will look similar to this:

You can see that it made a checkpoint when I installed Far Cry. It also made a checkpoint on it's own at a different time. Each day on the calendar in bold also has checkpoints.

Okay, this is simple. Pick a checkpoint you want to go back to (a time when your computer was running right for you is a good choice if you have one.) If you don't have any that old just go back to whichever one you want (say you installed X application or game and don't want it anymore, just go back to that one.)

NOTE - You will LOSE any applications (this includes games) you have installed if you go to a checkpoint that was made BEFORE you installed that application. Just keep that in mind.

You don't need a Windows disc for this. It's also important that you run the spyware scanners BEFORE doing a System Restore, because a Restore doesn't actually delete spyware. What a Restore does is, it takes a 'snapshot' of your WindowsXP system, including everything in the /Windows/ directory, everything in /Doc uments and Settings/ and everything in /Program Files/ - however it will not physically delete your files! It will ONLY delete the .exe (Executables) for the applications you 'didn't have' at the time. It will also restore your registry from a backup. Unfortunately, spyware tends to get around this, and that's why you run the scans BEFORE the Restore, so that they don't come back ^^

3. If all else fails ... reinstall!

Another trick is that you can reinstall WindowsXP OVER an existing WindowsXP installation and you don't need to do a full reformat. In most cases this can speed things up. You'll need your WindowsXP disc and the activation key for this (obviously.)

Reboot your computer and get into BIOS. Usually you have to hit the 'DEL' key when the computer first powers on. If you don't get it the first time, just keep hitting it. You'll know when you get into BIOS. On some motherboards you have to hit F2 or F5 as well, so keep that in mind. The post screen (the very first screen you see) will usually tell you the key to press.

Anyways, once we're in BIOS, find the section labeled "Boot Order." Make sure the CD / DVD drive is the FIRST drive in the boot order, then save the changes and restart the computer. Now pop in your WindowsXP disc. It'll ask you "Press any key to boot from CD..." so press a key and it'll start the installer.

Now this is the important part! There are two things you need to do to keep from losing your data and your do***ents!

1. Reinstall Windows OVER the old Install. It'll ask you if you want to do this, just press the correct key to continue when it does. I think it's "L" but I can't remember.

2. When WindowsXP is installed and it asks for the name of the user, use a DIFFERENT name than the last install. This is so everything from your old user in /Doc uments and Settings/ won't be deleted. If you use the same username it'll clear out that directory and all your My Docs and My Pics will go poof! After you get WindowsXP finalized you can go into C:/Doc uments and Settings/*YourOldUserName*/My Doc uments/ and backup all your old stuff. After that you can go into control panel and into the user options and use the old username if you want.

Phew, that took a while. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast