Thread: My re-done computer! (Dial-up & pay per kb users beware!)

1. #1 My re-done computer! (Dial-up & pay per kb users beware!) 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sevanyr's Avatar
    Okay, so for the longest time I've been using a normal case with stock cooling and well, bleh.

I had a scorpio case sitting in my closet for years (I shit you not) and it was yesterday that I became fed up and decided to use it. I also recieved a thermaltake CPU heatsink and fan from my mother who couldn't use it because for some reason her computer get shutting off when she had it installed. So I asked for it and I got it.

So I moved the entire contents of my computer into the old case and also installed the new CPU cooler. Now I can't stress this enough. It's farking huge; it was so big, I had to machine the steel brackets so they could fit around the capacitors! Just wait till you see the pictures.

Specs:

p5s800-vm: Does not usually support overclocking, updated to a beta bios and had some marginal overclock options enabled. However, I can't go higher than 10%.

CPU: Pentium 4/3.0ghz (800mhzFSB) @ 3.3ghz (880mhz FSB) Overclocked.

1.5gb PC3200 DDR ram.

GeForce 6600GT 128MB (Stock cooling, sure as hell not overclocking unless I get around to securing a case fan to the bottom of it)

WD800 80gb Raptor SATA Hard drive. 10,000 RPM (Normal drives run at 7,500 and 4,500 for notebooks) (I can't afford a second one so no raid for me. I initially had a 33gb Raptor that died, WD was nice enough to send me a 80gb hard drive at the same speed, but buying its twin would now cost twice as much)

The last time I tried to overclock and stress the CPU, I ran 3.3ghz at a temperature of just over 60c. I was able to push the temperature down to 48c with a large industrial fan pointed at it, at the cost of my hearing in my left ear.

The new setup yields 27c idle with my case being 30c. Unusual case of the CPU being lower than the mainboard. Under 100% load, the CPU rises to 42c.
    Anyway, here are the pics:

The airflow comes from the back as opposed to the front because of the unique circ(u)mstance of the CPU heatsink. Two fans pull air from outside in and one fan mounted on the heatsink pulls the air in right away while another fan on the other side pulls it out. A side mounted fan and a soon to be installed blowhole takes the hot air out.

The finished product.

The aftermath of a hacksaw and wire cutter attack upon my case, the result being unobstructed airflow. Ugly as hell, but it gave me 3 degrees more in cooling.

An idea of how big the damn thing is. It's huge! DDR ram stick on the mobo for reference.
    Hong Kong TA-082 PSP-1006 /w Chotto Shot Camera, 8gb Memory Stick Pro Duo and GTA:LCS Unpatched.

Brittany
    Looks very nice.
    I love your case.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Madhatter's Avatar
    a very nice case with obvious time and work put into it and very very LARGE pics lol nice work man
    The Ability To Talk Does NOT Make You Intelligent
    <br>
    Quote Originally Posted by Tay Zonday
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    wow rough looking fan holes there. Looking good though

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1231
    wow rough looking fan holes there. Looking good though
    Believe me, much cursing ensued as I was going through each outer hole with mere wire cutters. See, small wire cutters don't really have the leverage for taking out metal like that. When I could finally get it peeled up, I took a hacksaw to it, cutting the remainder off the case and finally got my revenge: "Now who's laughing, bitch!? Hahahaha!!"

Extremely satisfying. All for a mere three degrees of cooling.

Oh, pictures by chotto cam.
    Hong Kong TA-082 PSP-1006 /w Chotto Shot Camera, 8gb Memory Stick Pro Duo and GTA:LCS Unpatched.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker wolf0491's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevanyr
    Oh, pictures by chotto cam.
    no wonder they look blurry...
    but why so big

Member for over a year now!

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Arby_3000's Avatar
    I like the case... you coulda upped the vid card. But Yea not bad at all.
    <<*I AM CANADIAN*>>

Quote Originally Posted by wolf0491
    no wonder they look blurry...
    but why so big
    I didn't have the best lighting in my room and I have no other camera. Don't let these images set you off from buying one. Under the right lighting conditions, the chotto isn't bad at all.

Eh, I went with higher res pics, I'll shrink em down next time.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    It looks great

The only thing is the Mobo is too small for that case. The case has a lot of slots that are being wasted. But if you dont need a lot of PCIs your good to go.

Good job!! I hope everything works good and how you wanted

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    sick looking side panel.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Hey man, I like it. But one thing - you might want to plug that hole in the back that's missing a fan. Open holes would make air flow better so you'd think, but in most cases it screws with the airflow design of the fans, so to might be better to have an enclosed case.

Just try it out with some duct tape or something That way if it's not better it's not hard to undo.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkED
    Hey man, I like it. But one thing - you might want to plug that hole in the back that's missing a fan. Open holes would make air flow better so you'd think, but in most cases it screws with the airflow design of the fans, so to might be better to have an enclosed case.

Just try it out with some duct tape or something That way if it's not better it's not hard to undo.
    It's not missing a fan, there is a fan but the lighting dosen't really let you see it; it's black.