Thread: Just got a Wii...Woohoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Just got a Wii...Woohoo 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker apathy96's Avatar
    I FINALLY after many many countless days of searching got myself a wii, although i won't be home to play it for a few more weeks...

I was wondering if anyone has a Wii that they have modded? I also just purchased the WiiKey modchip from mod-chip.com, and was hoping someone could give me some insight on how hard the installation(soldering) is...thanks guys

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    check your PMs

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    N8thegr8t (or something close) who is a member here but not all that active, has modded his wii. He made his own mod chip following directions online. It costs him like $6 in parts from radio shack. He said it was easy and did not take too long. You can try to pm him (I'll let him know on msn that your looking for some wii modding advice).
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

wow that's crazy, i didn't even know you could build your own mod chip, didn't even cross my mind...but yea i'd like to ask him about it...

Member PSP User
    I modded mine a few days ago Its hard if your a bit rusty at soldering but luckily my dad is prety good at it and he was on hand to help me. some of the contacts are like 2mm across so there pretty small. Also go for a wired install, it makes your life easyer if you need to take it off and gives you more room to work Also it helps if you make a note of what screws go where just in case you screw up and have to send it to nintendo.

Retired PSP Elite Hacker fubar42o's Avatar
    Pardon me for asking but I had no idea the wii was moddable until now... What exactly can a modded wii do?

"don't fucking ask me. i don't know..."

^^ thats what im thinking..i guess get the nintendo games free or something?

play burnt games... duh lol. You can find a whole bunch of torrents for wii games now.

Member PSP User
    i am getting ready to mod mine.

once i get some money.

a modded wii can play wii backups and gamecube backups, as well as 70% wii imports, 100% of gamecube imports, and all gamecube homebrew (emulators, etc.) eliminating the need for virtual console, as well as expanding on the titles available. The chip I "built" (not much more then soldering a capacitor to an atmega8-16 microcontroller, but you do have to build a programmer, which is relatively easy) is called "Chiip", and you can get more info here: http://chiip.descrambler.de I had all the parts for the programmer on hand, so pretty much the only thing I had to pay for was the atmega8, which was only $4. the soldering is super easy, only 5 points, and as long as you use a 15 watt iron, you should be good. I wouldn't recommend it for a first time solder job, but if you have a little bit of experience under your belt, you should do just fine.

oh nate, you are one hell of a guy..

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker adam's Avatar
    wow that looks difficult...wish it was as easy as a psp with custom fw lol
    YOU THINK BEGINNER SHOULD BE MOD!?http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmwar...some-help.html Think AGAIN!
    READ THIS THREAD!

Follow this thread to earn some free stuff w/o a credit card!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/off-top...-refferal.html

in all actuality, that may be entirely possible in the near future. The Infectus team has recently dumped the nand flash of the wii, so more exploits could be found and implemented. I would say it won't be too long before noobs are bricking their wii's trying to get native linux on it, lol (fyi, you can already run gamecube linux on it with a chip or sd loader...)

Quote Originally Posted by n8thegr8
    a modded wii can play wii backups and gamecube backups, as well as 70% wii imports, 100% of gamecube imports, and all gamecube homebrew (emulators, etc.) eliminating the need for virtual console, as well as expanding on the titles available. The chip I "built" (not much more then soldering a capacitor to an atmega8-16 microcontroller, but you do have to build a programmer, which is relatively easy) is called "Chiip", and you can get more info here: http://chiip.descrambler.de I had all the parts for the programmer on hand, so pretty much the only thing I had to pay for was the atmega8, which was only $4. the soldering is super easy, only 5 points, and as long as you use a 15 watt iron, you should be good. I wouldn't recommend it for a first time solder job, but if you have a little bit of experience under your belt, you should do just fine.
    Well since i already bought the WiiKey, i guess i will just stick with that, and i don't think i will be trying to do anything crazy like trying to put linux on it or anything, not worth it to me, it took too long to find this wii...lol...

By the way nate, you live in Shawnee? I live in Edmond...i should be home by the end of next month...yay...

haha, wow, holy crap it's a small world. I'm actually transferring to UCO next semester, haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast