Thread: Are we shooting ourselves in the foot??

1. #1 Are we shooting ourselves in the foot?? 
    So I've spent the last 4 days, up until 2am modding my psp. I started with 2.6 and with GTA eventually moved my way up to 3.03 oe-c. The journey was rough and tiresome but well worth it. Then on the fifth day, after having packed my psp full of ISO's emulators and swapping out plug-ins, I've found I can't seem to shake this feeling that maybe modding my psp wasn't such a good idea. I mean yes, in a nutshell we are essentially stealing games right?...maybe not all of us but most of us. And I'm pretty sure that SONY and the entire gaming industry would not be thrilled by what we are doing. I keep asking myself, how would I feel if I worked for the gaming industry? If it were impossible to mod a psp (which I know is impossible) wouldn't we all be spending more money on games which would in turn make the games we all play better? I mean the more dough that gets poured into game development the better the games will be right? I'm not sure that is always true but in theory right??? I've also heard that a majority of the money that gets made in the gaming industry is not with console sales but in the sale of games. At least this is true with the xbox360 and the PS3. The Wii is the only console that will actually profit off its actual systems. Thatâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã¢ââ⠚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s just what I read on CNN. My question is, how do you all feel about this? How do you, in your own mind, justify a mod with the intension of loading it up with ISO's and roms?

Here are my own personal justifications:

1) As with the mp3 debate, maybe though modders playing hacked ISO, roms, etc. on hacked psps this will help the gaming industry get more exposure? Maybe the kid who might never get the chance to play a game, might be more likely to go out and buy that game (if he is a modder..no) or go tell his friend about how fun the game is and that kid might go out and buy it?

2) The video gaming industry in general charges way too much for stuff!!! In some situations over 60 bucks for a new game!! The PS3 new costs over 600 bucks with tax!! Not to mention the opening price of the psp costing over 250!! What the hell? And what about younger kids? They donâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t have freakin jobs, and donâà ’¢â€šÃ €šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢t young kids make up the bulk the video gaming industry (although I have heard that the average video game player is 31)? I know parents end up footing most of the bill but itÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ ’¢â€šÃ⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â†¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not fair to them either.

Anyway, IÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Å¾Ã‚¢m not going to lose much sleep over thisâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã ‚¬Ã‚Ʀ.I just wanted to know how you guys felt about this?

tnutz

thats true but no one has any sense of morality any more im not saying i do im just saying lol

3. #3 I don't think so... 
    I believe the opposite is true. By "hacking" the PSP we are able to install emulators that allow us to play media that otherwise is NOT available. I personally have quite a few games as well as UMD's, some I paid top dollar for. But without this community and the service they provide(THANK YOU!) I could never play NES,SNES,PS1 games as well as the huge amount of various media content that is incompatable with the PSP.

I truly think that the "mod" community is going to single handedly bring the PSP to the forefront of portable gaming. Sony is starting to offer the PS1 game library(5 titles) on their site. You know this is in response to the emulators that are able to play these titles already.

The more the gamers push this system to its limits, the more likely Sony will be to continue development of software for this system as well as developing a "PSP2". As long as this community continues to thrive, so will the PSP.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    the PS3 costs $800 to manufacture, Sony takes a $200 hit on every unit. There isn't much room to bitch in that arena.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    if the psp wasn't moddable, they would have sold MUCH less because since the beginning, 98.5% of the games have been total shit. modding didn't make it that way, the games just suck ass. The movie industry has been total dog shit for a looooong time, long before widespread piracy, and now in some places it's $8 for a ticket. and software is even worse. you think $60 for a game is bad? try $1700 for for visual studio, or $1200 for adobe creative suite. The way I look at it, I couldn't afford the games in the first place, and I would never buy any of those expensive programs in the first place, so their not actually losing money. they're just not getting money that they never would have gotten in the first place. and for ****s sakes, They bitch about piracy when movies are still raking in millions and millions, as are songs and games. They're not on the streets. They still make in one year more than I ever will in my life. if anyone has the right to bitch, it's me.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker demondude777's Avatar
    With regards to games and emus:

It comes down to manually loading or having sony do it for us. We already own the ISOs so paying Sony is like the difference between getting an oil change or doing it yourself. The $5 to $15 is for Sony to convert the game into a fromat that the PSP reconizes.

As far as emus...that is like saying getting freeware for your computer is wrong, like dosbox on a pc.

June 2005 - PSP homebrewed
    August 2006 - DS homebrewed

Embrace diversity.....play both handhelds the way they weren't meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by demondude777
    I am now your love cleric.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by n8thegr8
    itry $1700 for for visual studio, or $1200 for adobe creative suite. The way I look at it, I couldn't afford the games in the first place, and I would never buy any of those expensive programs in the first place, so their not actually losing money.
    i like that makes enough sense. im glad i bought this photoshop CS3

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    modding the psp isnt about downloading illegal iso's either. its about expanding the functionality of the console. if piracy wasnt an issue, i doubt sony would have that much of a problem with homebrew. the major problem is freeloaders love to download illegal games and play for free instead of buying them

as far as the price of games and systems go, modern games take more advanced technology to produce... so it costs more to sell the games. the secret to making money is to break even on all expenses, THEN all money after that becomes profit. the psp costs $250 when it came out. but it aslo wasnt targeted at kids. proof of this comes from the price tag and delicate nature of the console. if sony was building a system aimed at kids, then it would have been built alot stronger
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker adam's Avatar
    ok a game like that new pool game for 40$..cmon thats a ripoff...using an iso to try the game as long as its for 24hrs or less is completely legal
    YOU THINK BEGINNER SHOULD BE MOD!?http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmwar...some-help.html Think AGAIN!
    READ THIS THREAD!

Follow this thread to earn some free stuff w/o a credit card!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/off-top...-refferal.html

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    Hmph. The only thing selling the psp is the ability to mod it. If you couldn't mod it, I wouldn't touch the psp with a 10-foot pole. I'd jump on the Nintendo ship for portable gaming again.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by auburntigersfan4life
    using an iso to try the game as long as its for 24hrs or less is completely legal
    Uh... no, it's not. These aren't SNES ROM's we're talking about. If you have the ISO and don't have the original disc, it's illegal, PERIOD. No 24 hours, no test drive, nothing, it's just illegal.

But I'm not saying I've never downloaded an ISO (not any PSP UMD's, but some for other things.)

My view is currently hypocritical since I believe it's wrong but also continue to play isos. For me, the biggest reason is cost, I'm flat broke all the time. When I do have money, I'll pay for the games I play (I only play 2 or 3, and not very often). Also, I don't show anyone else who doesn't already know about it in order to know that at least one person I know is still legit.

As far as Custom fw, their customizations are 99% of the reason I bought a psp. About 3/4 of time I spend doing something related to the psp is modding and customizing it. If I hadn't known about custom firmware and homebrew, I never would have considered buying a psp.

Getting back to the original point, to me playing isos is demeaning to the developers. But OE firmwares are meant to be used for customizing, not piracy. It's not DAX or OE that's to blame, but freeloaders like myself.

-SacrificialArts