Thread: considering a PSP... why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 considering a PSP... I FIGURED OUT WHY 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I figure the price on the PSP is now TOO good so it's time I bought in... but I dont have a single compelling reason except the good price.

my last console was the dreamcast after I found a huge blackmarket for games and could get one for $40 and my last hand held was a sega game gear.

the only good reasons I have so far are, good games, and movie support.

basically I'll be lookong 'round the site, but I bet I'll miss what I'm really looking for.

thanks in advance

Senior Member I Modded My PSP heatzone07's Avatar
    Hmm... welll I hear Sony is considering a redesign of the PSP. So you may want to hold of on your decision. But who know when thats gonna happen. But the PSP has a variety of other cool features as well such as the Camera Attachment, or even the GPS Attachment (if your into that) or the mp3 player, ability to view photos and such. Its a pretty cool all around device.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    You can always use homebrew and emulators... Almost any popular system, and some not so popular. Also you can customize the look and feel of your PSP's XMB and interals, as well as the faceplate...
    The PSP is a beautiful machine.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Administrator PSP Elite Hacker admin's Avatar
    at the moment I am using my PSP mostly to catchup watching LOST.
    PSPMOD Administrator : Useful Links Below

PSPMOD Guides : Downloads : ChatRoom : Free PSP Downloads

well that's really the killer app for me, is watching movies and tv shows on the go. my laptop is really too big and ***bersome on a plane.

I really like the gps idea.

*edit* WTF! it wont let me say "c u m bersome"?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP GenJackson's Avatar
    plus i'm pretty sure there's probably a game gear emulator, so i'm sure you'll like that.

I don't mod much anymore, but I do give good game advice.

---------------------------------------------------

2.82 > 3.03 > GTA:LCS > 1.50 > 3.40oe > 3.52m33 v.4 > me.

yeah I actually tried to boot my game gear a while back only to found the sound went...

only problem is, I dont have those roms... I do have genesis roms though and that system was better anyway

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    the psp is a multi media tool. it allows you to surf the net wirelessly (and poorly), it plays music and movies, you can play emulated systems up to the playstation 1, theres a camera and gps fuctions as they mentioned, you can watch tv on it with a modification, and it supports up to 8gb of flash memory.

unfortunally, the games suck for the most part. the psp lacks in that catogory. if you want a movie player, youll be better off getting a creative labs zen vision or something similar. 20gb and a widescreen, but it will cost more.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

yeah the zen is on my list as well... thinking I'll wait on that though if I can figure a killer app for me to pick one of these up

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    honestly the only reason to own a psp is for the emulated games. the factory games are mostly crap, the net surfing ability feels like an afterthrough, and the music player is horrid. movies arnt bad, but it takes alot of effort to get a movie from dvd to psp
    R.I.P Zoidberg

well honestly if I were to get factory games I was only going to get one r two ( one of the GTA's and maybe a racing game) from there I have built quite a library of roms.

for the moment the price difference from a psp with two memory sticks and two games and the zen vision m... is minimal the main difference is the psp, is a much more versatile device and the zen is a much better size.. and i hear rumblings of the psp running linux

Senior Member I Modded My PSP heatzone07's Avatar
    The psp can run windows 98, although very slowly. Even if it does end up running linux it'll probably run it slowly as well but the idea itself is pretty amazing.

i've been reading about a patched version of GTA liberty city stories... what does this mean? is there a way of teling if it's patched by looking at the box.

I'm thinking of going to walmart tonight and picking up a psp and taking full advantage for the 14 day return period (basically taking my 14 days to make sure I like it, it's what I did with this laptop actually... and in the end I kept it)

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Hockeyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heatzone07
    The psp can run windows 98, although very slowly. Even if it does end up running linux it'll probably run it slowly as well but the idea itself is pretty amazing.
    Not meaning to steal the thread here, but the DS can already run linuk so the psp should be able to do it faster and better.
    2% of the people on the internet have a sig that bashes 98% of the people on the internet. If you are in the 98% whoaren't bastard F***'s with a superiority complex, copy and paste this into your sig.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Electrohacker
    i've been reading about a patched version of GTA liberty city stories... what does this mean? is there a way of teling if it's patched by looking at the box.

I'm thinking of going to walmart tonight and picking up a psp and taking full advantage for the 14 day return period (basically taking my 14 days to make sure I like it, it's what I did with this laptop actually... and in the end I kept it)
    did some reading and I defiantly want unpatched and found a local guy on ebay...

but is there a way of identifying the 2.0's in stores?

I also found a thread on how to figure out which type is in the box... very handy, I decided to stop after work instead of tonight though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast