Thread: Could we possibly have a Linux section?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Could we possibly have a Linux section? 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    I've noticed that lately Linux is gaining popularity around here, much like Mac before it got it's own section. I think that since we have PC and Mac sections it would only be fair to include a Linux section as well just to round up the three-piece set. This would also be an advantage to PSP users here because many PSP-friendly apps have native Linux versions, and a large portion of those began their development cycles on Linux.

If you guys think it would be alright I could help set it up with some basic Linux info (like the way urineanus has done with the Mac section.) It wouldn't need to be tailored to a specific distro - just Linux in general.

Thanks either way.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I don't see a section for pc/windows. I think people spend more time in the other sections than the psp sections. perhaps we should contemplate changing the site name first...

Quote Originally Posted by n8thegr8
    I don't see a section for pc/windows.
    Yeah, but? People talk about PC/Windows in all sections.

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-hardware-repair/

^There's your Windows section

that's "Tech Discussion" for "Geek chat" which could mean anything from talking about ham radio, to ionic propulsion, to nuclear fission, to programming assembler. and I think we can all agree, most "Geeks" would rather use linux than windows. why not make that the linux section and make new sections for windows?

Quote Originally Posted by n8thegr8
    that's "Tech Discussion" for "Geek chat" which could mean anything from talking about ham radio, to ionic propulsion, to nuclear fission, to programming assembler. and I think we can all agree, most "Geeks" would rather use linux than windows. why not make that the linux section and make new sections for windows?
    Doesn't matter, that's irrelevant. Fact is, I made this post to ask for a Linux section and all you've done is tell me why it's such a bad idea. I'll let the mods decide.

the whole site is for Windows except that 1 forum!!! why not add it. and the psp forums are still popular.

I'm not against a linux section, I'm just against adding all these sections in general. have you seen how long the frontpage is? seriously, it's just bad aesthetics and bad web design. It's only going to add to the problems of noobs posting in the wrong sections because there's just too much and they'll get lost way to easy. If this shit keeps up, this site's going to need to be totally revamped. there's already more miscellaneous sections than there are psp sections. It just doesn't make sense to me. Soon enough, people are going to want the "Other Consoles" section split up into seperate ones for each console, all so that they can be a mod. It's getting out of hand.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    I agree that we are at critical mass with the amount of sections. Unless we combine sections, we should not be adding more. A solution might be...

Computers/Technology (As the section header)
    - Macs (with subsections for all the mac sections listed on the front page now)
    - Windows
    - Linux
    - Tech Discussion

This gives us more variety of sections without adding to the number of sections listed on the front page of the forum (since its already close to being to long).
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    i like the idea. we could use a linux section
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Quote Originally Posted by drizzle
    I agree that we are at critical mass with the amount of sections. Unless we combine sections, we should not be adding more. A solution might be...

Computers/Technology (As the section header)
    - Windows
    - Linux
    - Tech Discussion

This gives us more variety of sections without adding to the number of sections listed on the front page of the forum (since its already close to being to long).
    Yeah, that could definitely work. I don't need half the front page or anything, just a place that's there for Linux.

Plus, can't you make subgroups of a subgroup? Like this:

------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Windows
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Linux
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Tech Discussion
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection

And if you do that, aren't the subsections not seen on the front page? That would be the ideal solution...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    hooray for linux. windows section? isn‘t the reason we need mac/linux because the site is geared for ms users, and the people who use alternatives needed a place to discuss?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED
    Yeah, that could definitely work. I don't need half the front page or anything, just a place that's there for Linux.

------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Windows
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Linux
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Tech Discussion
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection

And if you do that, aren't the subsections not seen on the front page? That would be the ideal solution...
    Yeah, you can have subsections. Thats what I was trying to say in my post as well. I suppose I just wasn't all that clear in describing it.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzle
    Yeah, you can have subsections. Thats what I was trying to say in my post as well. I suppose I just wasn't all that clear in describing it.
    Yeah, I realized that after I made the post Sorry...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar

------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Windows
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Linux
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection
    - Tech Discussion
    ------ subsection
    ------ subsection

Agree! and I vote for it.. ^^ Ive seen people having problems with RCO Editor and other programs because they are running LInux.

And itd be a good place to ask if they were created.

Administrator PSP Elite Hacker admin's Avatar
    I've noticed that lately Linux is gaining popularity around here, much like Mac before it got it's own section. I think that since we have PC and Mac sections it would only be fair to include a Linux section as well just to round up the three-piece set. This would also be an advantage to PSP users here because many PSP-friendly apps have native Linux versions, and a large portion of those began their development cycles on Linux.

If you guys think it would be alright I could help set it up with some basic Linux info (like the way urineanus has done with the Mac section.) It wouldn't need to be tailored to a specific distro - just Linux in general.

Thanks either way.
    myself and the mods are discussing this, We will let you know when we have made a decision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast