Thread: Don "Mr. Wizard" Herbert Dies At 89

1. #1 Don "Mr. Wizard" Herbert Dies At 89 
    Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    "Don Herbert, who as television's "Mr. Wizard" introduced generations of young viewers to the joys of science, died Tuesday. He was 89. Herbert, who had bone cancer, died at his suburban Bell Canyon home, said his son-in-law, Tom Nikosey.

"He really taught kids how to use the thinking skills of a scientist," said former colleague Steve Jacobs. He worked with Herbert on a 1980s show that echoed the original 1950s "Watch Mr. Wizard" series, which became a fond baby boomer memory.

In "Watch Mr. Wizard," which was produced from 1951 to 1964 and received a Peabody Award in 1954, Herbert turned TV into an entertaining classroom. On a simple, workshop-like set, he demonstrated experiments using household items.

"He modeled how to predict and measure and analyze. ... The show today might seem slow but it was in-depth and forced you to think along," Jacobs said. "You were learning about the forces of nature."

Herbert encouraged children to duplicate experiments at home, said Jacobs, who recounted serving as a behind-the-scenes "science sidekick" to Herbert on the '80s "Mr. Wizard's World" that aired on the Nickelodeon channel.

When Jacobs would reach for beakers and flasks, Herbert would remind him that science didn't require special tools.

"'You could use a mayonnaise jar for that,'" Jacobs recalled being chided by Herbert. "He tried to bust the image of scientists and that science wasn't just for special people and places."

Herbert's place in TV history was acknowledged by later stars. When "Late Night with David Letterman" debuted in 1982, Herbert was among the first-night guests.

Born in Waconia, Minn., Herbert was a 1940 graduate of LaCrosse State Teachers College and served as a U.S. Army Air Corps pilot during World War II. He worked as an actor, model and radio writer before starting "Watch Mr. Wizard" in Chicago on NBC.

The show moved to New York after several years.

He is survived by six children and stepchildren and by his second wife, Norma, his son-in-law said. A private funeral service was planned."

-MSN.com

i remember his show coming on as repeats on saturday mornings awhile ago, and hopefully some of the older members on the board remember him as well. Mr Wizard was one hell of a cool guy and he will be missed.

July 10, 1917 – June 12, 2007
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker miamiheat4life's Avatar
    soo he was like the oldskool billnye the science. And i think ive seen him a few times in school.
    he lived a long and full life R.I.P

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker demondude777's Avatar
    Oh no.... I use to watch his show a lot. He did a lot of interesting stuff on it.

It sucks to see the things I remember growing up fade away...

June 2005 - PSP homebrewed
    August 2006 - DS homebrewed

Embrace diversity.....play both handhelds the way they weren't meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by demondude777
    I am now your love cleric.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    Mr. Wizard was a great guy. I loved his show as a kid.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP heatzone07's Avatar
    At least he lived a long life...at 89 wow....most Americans can barely break 60...obesity I tell ya.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    I never really met him or seen any of his shows when they were popular, but i did see about 2 episodes on an old recording tape i found looking for pulp fiction VHS. He seemed nice, my mom was telling me about him. Its ashame i never really got to know about him untill now. its a messed up way i know him in. RIP
    BlackBerry Messenger-30651FFA

If you need anything you can reach me there pretty much always =P