Thread: Wireless broadband home Pc

1. #1 Wireless broadband home Pc 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP freerider123's Avatar
    Ok quick question for anyone who can help:
    I have broadband, i bought a laptop and a wireless router. I want to keep my home computer hard wired can i some how run my internet through my home computer and be running the wireless router aswell if that makes sense.
    Basically i want to have my home pc hard wired and a wireless router plugged in and be working off my laptop aswell. And also if this is possible will my home pc have to be turned on if i want to use the wireless router? Thanks
    "In the dark nowhere to be found"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    yes you can do this.

just check if your old hardwired broadband router has more than 1 output
    if it does just get a plug going from the second out put to your new router.

But you should be able to just use your new router.

You wont new your computer to be turned on to use the net on your laptop.

have a read of the instructions of the new router, it should tell you what to do.

Retired PSP Elite Hacker fubar42o's Avatar
    Look for something called a Wireless Base Station from Microsoft... you hardwire your desktop to the cable modem, and the Base Station plugs in between the modem and your computer, which then turns into a wireless access point while still keeping your desktop initially hardwired, as you say...

"don't fucking ask me. i don't know..."

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    why not just drop the wireles router between the modem and computer... most wireless routers have 4 builtin wired ports.

most also have an easy setup now too.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP DrewMac's Avatar
    That's the exact same set up that I have at home with the wired main computer and the wireless laptop.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    that's the way we do it at home for the moment (till I move out this fall *fingers crossed*)

parents computer wired to the router, my main computer goes wireless to it, then I backroute another router setup as a wireless bridge that feeds my laptop and pvr.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP freerider123's Avatar
    Ok so i can go PC>>MODEM>>>>Wireless router
    "In the dark nowhere to be found"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Okay, first off, you DON'T need to find a "Microsoft Wireless Base Station" or whatever that is. All you need is a normal 4-port ethernet / wireless router. Here I will explain what ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is and how you set it up.

ICS does what you want to do - it shares a connection from one machine to another, through a bridge (in your case, the wireless router.)

Here is what you want to do:

[Modem] --> [Host Desktop] --> [Wireless Router] ==> [Laptop]

*Key: -- hardwired, == wireless.

Here is what you will need:

1. A 4-port ethernet / wireless router. I recommend something from Belkin or Linksys.
    2. A host computer (your desktop) with at least TWO ethernet ports (yes, you NEED two, it can't be done any other way.)
    3. WindowsXP SP2 or Linux as the OS.
    4. 1 spare category 5 LAN cable.

Here's how you set it up:

1. Connect everything. Internet to the desktop computer from the modem, then run a lan cable from your second lan card to one of the 1-4 ports on the router. Do NOT connect it to the "Internet In" port, just use one of the normal 1-4 ports.

2. Configure the router. Log in to the admin panel via the router's IP address (you can find this address in the router's documentation.) Set the router's IP range to 192.168.0.xxx. It HAS to be in this range for ICS to work correctly. Take note that this will also change the admin panel IP, so change it accordingly in your browser's address bar. Make sure wireless is enabled and set a passkey if you wish. Finally, turn DHCP/NAT options OFF, make sure you do this step last because after you do this you will not be able to log back in to your router with standard DHCP settings without doing a factory reset.

3. Share the connection. The Linux bit is a little too complicated for me type out and I don't think you run Linux anyways, so I'll walk you through the WindowsXP version. Open Network Connections and right-click on the internet connection > Properties. Set the internet connection to 'Shared' (it's on the 'Advanced' tab.) Set whatever ICS options you need and save them.

4. Configure the secondary LAN connection. Right-click your second line > Properties. Go to the 'General' tab and select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click Properties. In the properties dialog, under 'General' tab, set TCP/IP to use a manual address. These settings should look like this:

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: Leave it blank
    DNS IP's: Leave them both blank

Save the configuration and reboot the machine for the new ICS settings to take effect. You can also powercycle the router if you wish (just DON'T do a factory reset.)

5. After the host has booted, it's time to configure the client. Enable your wireless card if it's not already enabled and set it to use your wireless network. Keep it set to DHCP, the host will give the client an IP automatically. If it doesn't connect at all (Limited or No Connectivity) try going back to the host and make sure all the settings are correct. Also, make sure DHCP and NAT are turned off on the router. Factory reset it if ya have to, it only takes a few seconds to set the router up again.

That's it. Now you should have internet on both computers. If it doesn't work at first try disabling the Windows firewall on both connections, it tends to block ICS WAN requests. Keep in mind that ICS uses a good bit of processor time for the routing operations so you may want to turn it off on your host when you play intensive games or the like.

Have fun.
    Last edited by DarkED; 06-25-2007 at 01:18 PM.