Thread: painting a bike

1. #1 painting a bike 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I want to paint my bike a few different colors, whats the best way to do that? What kind of paint to use, how I should start off..etc
    First PSP upgraded to 3.01 never had the chance to downgrade it...STOLEN.
    New Chrome PSP 1.5/3.04OEA/Semi-bricked/1.5/3.04OEA/3.52m33
    Selling asterix faceplates/buttons go here http://www.pspmod.com/forums/market-...ates-sale.html

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    first off you have to strip of all the paint on it at the moment.
    what kind of bike is it, what's it made out of you need to know
    to know what kind of paint you will need.

get paint stripper and sand paper first. Then take apart your bike and lay out all the pieces so you know how to put it back together. Strip all the paint off with the stripper, and get the remaining spots with sandpaper. I usually use Krylon paint. It costs a little more, but is really good. When you paint, apply alot of really light coats. Start off with a few coats of primer. Dont expect your first coat to cover it all, it should be that light. After the bike is covered in primer, start to add many layers of color. After that, you can add a few layers of clear coat to help protect it and give it some shine. If at any point you paint too heavily and it runs, stop and wait for it to dry and sand the run out. You should get some wire or rope and hang it from the ceiling in your garage when you paint it, that way you can cover all the surfaces at once, and it can dry easier. I painted a guitar of mine with this process and it turned out great.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    ^if thats too andvanced and you cant get a sprayer then tape off everything but what youre painting and spray paint it. its easier but will be flat boring looking.

Its a 2003 freestyle Redline. And I cant take it apart. Some of the screws are in the pegs to take it apart and I don't know how to take them off. I want to paint basically everything. here is a link to what my bike is..Compare Prices and Read Reviews on Redline Slash Special Edition (2003) at Epinions.com
    Selling asterix faceplates/buttons go here http://www.pspmod.com/forums/market-...ates-sale.html

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    you dont NEED to strip the paint completely off, just sand it so its even and rough enough for the new paint to stick. fully stripping the paint is only required if youre restoring something and need to work on the bare metal

define the peg/screw problem. if you mean the nuts inside the peg that keep it on the axle, then you need a socket w/ an extension in order to reach them
    R.I.P Zoidberg

yeah i cant reach the nut. Ok what kind of paint and primer should I use.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Use regular primer, and get some rustoleum, and thin the paint with mineral spirits. Use it in a 7:3 ratio, 7 parts paint to 3 parts mineral spirits. You'll also want some of those super fine foam paint rollers.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Use regular primer, and get some rustoleum, and thin the paint with mineral spirits. Use it in a 7:3 ratio, 7 parts paint to 3 parts mineral spirits. You'll also want some of those super fine foam paint rollers.
    seems kinda advanced but ill try it thanx guys

could get away with standard automotive grade primer avalible in spray cans too. as long as its intended for metal, youll be all set. sand after the primer is applied to smooth it out and give the color coat something to grip

as far as removing the pegs, youll need a 3/4" ratchet w/ a 6" extension and whatever size the nut is. if its a 14mm axle, youll proly be looking at atleast a 17mm nut. get a simple socket set from home depot for around 25$ and youll be all set 3/4" rachet, a couple extensions, and sockets from 8mm all the way to 20mm is reccomended
    R.I.P Zoidberg

thanx Julie but is there any specific paint that will do nicely
    Last edited by crazypplinflames; 11-06-2007 at 08:12 AM.

rustoleum for the primer since it will protect the frame against rusting, then for the color coat, id say use rustoleum again since its a good idea to stick with one brand for primer and color coat

worry about that later though, first youll need to strip the bike down and sand the frame. make sure to use a degreaser to remove any chemicals from the frame such as oil or grease, then once its cleaned and sanded, clean it a 2nd time to remove the rest of the crap on the frame, leaving you with a nice clean frame. next step is to mask off the headtube bearing cups and bottom bracket crank bearing cups. you can knock them out with a hammer and wooden dowel, but they made put up a fight to get them out. either way, dont get paint on or in them. if you remove them, keep paint out of the tubes, otherwise the cups wont go back in smoothly and youll have problems.

in general, painting metal isnt hard, its just time consuming. spend the extra time to get it right the first time so youll have a long lasting paintjob. dont rush it just to get color on it. sand and make sure its all even, prime it evenly, sand between coats, removing any dust and chemicals w/ a good cleaning before you color it, then apply thin coats of color, sanding between them and cleaning it again. once its in color, youll need to do a couple layers of clear coat to protect it and make it glossy. oh, and make sure you give it plenty of drying time between coats of color. the can will tell you the proper drying time between coats

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. ive assisted a couple friends of mine who paint cars professionally, so ive picked up the ins and outs of painting metal
    R.I.P Zoidberg