View Poll Results: Which Internet Browser do you prefer?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firefox

26 92.86%
  • Internet Explorer

1 3.57%
  • Safari

0 0%
  • Opera

1 3.57%

Thread: Internet Explorer 7 vs Firefox 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Internet Explorer 7 vs Firefox 2 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP DrewMac's Avatar
    Which internet browser is your favorite and why?

I didn't see this anywhere, and there's been quite a bit of discussion lately about it.

I know this is mainly a Firefox V Internet Explorer but I put in Opera and Safari for anybody that likes them.
    -----------------------------------------

I recently changed to Firefox after hearing some good things about it, so now that I've changed I doubt I'll be going back to IE as Firefox is just so much better. There is a lot more features, it's faster and it is completely customizable! which is probably the best thing about it (imo) I also think it's cool how it spell checks for you too.
    Last edited by DrewMac; 07-09-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Member PSP User
    Firefox because I can't spell very well and it has spell check, You can set it to reopen your tabs from last time, Also unlike IE it doesn't suck

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Unforgiv3N's Avatar
    Technically Internet Explorer 7 is Better ...

@darkmikey
    there is an add-on pack for internet explorer that add Spell Check feature on IE7
    We are Going to HeLL by a Road Called Life !

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiv3N View Post
    Technically Internet Explorer 7 is Better ...

@darkmikey
    there is an add-on pack for internet explorer that add Spell Check feature on IE7
    How is IE7 better? When you look at them side by side, I really disagree.

Installation
    IE7: IE7 is a huge download and take forever. You have to disable your anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. M$ checks to see that your running a valid windows copy, then IE7 requires you to connect to the M$ servers, slowing down everything even more. Worst of all, installing this requires you to reboot your system.
    FF2: Firefox, on the other hand, is a small download and installs in about 30 seconds. It checks to see if you have any incompatible extensions, fixes that, then brings in your bookmarks and toolbars from the previous version.
    Look and Feel (GUI & Use)
    IE7: IE7 completely threw out the old look, and made themselves new one. Although, it's more likely to make users feel more they're using some other, different, browser rather then impress them. Then you get to fool around with IE7's choice to hide the menu bar. That means, you cannot access any functions in the "File History Help" bar without using two hands to do so. And IE7 made it impossible to leave it down. IE7 does allow for a little more "customization" but in all honesty, anything IE can do, Firefox has been doing - better.
    FF2: Firefox didn't completely remake the layout, and lose it's usability. It did add some new UI features. But where FF really shines, is the customizations. FF destroys IE in the extensions, plug-ins and overall add-ons aspect of the browsers. IE lets you a add a dictionary. FF lets you do, anything you want. From displaying the weather in the menu bar, to downloading 100's of targets from various sources at the same time, to controlling your media player, in browser, and hiding it from the taskbar(window's "start" bar thing.) Not to mention it's native features, and standard, built-in dictionary. Firefox's open-source'd-ness really makes it the best there is for customization and use.
    Tabs
    IE7: IE finally has tabs! But, even then... it sucks. IE7 includes a new button that is for new tabs, but it hides over to the right, behind any other open tab. That means the a useless button is sitting right there, taking up space. There is no way to move it, or hide it or anything. IE7 also takes longer to open a new tab, "What!", you say, "IE is...slow?"
    FF2: FF2 improved tabbed browsing by adding an individual close tab button to each tab. And, like IE7, it has a new tab button (duh), but FF lets you move the tab button and even hide it away. Firefox also opens up a new drop-down bar for when more than one tab is open. What's that mean, it means when you're browsing with only one tab open, it doesn't display a bar, a tab, and the new button, thus saving space. Plus, FF has the ability to save and reopen tabs. And, if FF crashes, you can restore all your tabs and history and everything. Whereas, you can't restore the tabs in IE7.
    New Features
    IE7: Most of IE7's new features are old tricks for Firefox. IE added a zoom page feature and tried to allow for RSS and XML.
    FF2: Firefox came with the ability to save your browsing session and open up old tabs from the last time your browsed the web. Firefox already had the zoom trick, just hit Ctrl-T and your set. Firefox does a much better job of managing feeds. It lets you subscribe in Firefox's own reader, which will make bookmarks of headlines, or in Google, Bloglines, Yahoo, or any reader application you have on your PC. IE will subscribe itself only to feeds, and it doesn't display RSS content as reliably as Firefox. Firefox's automatic spell check is truly ingenious, and allows for more dictionaries to suit your needs.
    Security
    IE7: Now lets you clear your cookies, history, and temporary files easier than before, but it's not easy to delete specific files in those groups.
    FF2: FF2 lets you easily clear everything. One click button clears anything you want, and you can even set it clear your information after each session. Firefox also has anti-phishing measures, and checks sites from a preexisting blacklist or from Google. Firefox also offers more customization than IE 7, letting you specify which warning messages you'll receive and allowing you to view all your cookies in a list. Plus, numerous extensions make it the safest browser there is. You can turn off all Java and JavaScript, making little codes working behind the scenes at a website inert.

All in all, IE7's new features have already been covered my FF, and so that doesn't really qualify it to be a better browser. The security features IE finally added aren't enough either, because, FF already has them, and since the typical phisher or exploiter will set IE as the standard, most of what IE has added won't be enough because new exploits will occur. Firefox really takes over, because it's customizable set-up allows for greater security and flawless usability.

As for the rest of the browsers, I assume this is all still Micro$oft, so I'll knock out Safari for windows real quick.
    Basically, this is a useless browser. It's got no good support, an no customization, no attracting features. Compared to firefox, this is...like idk Firefox is wine, and Safari(for windows) is water. Dirty water.

Opera, I do like I'll be honest. It's a great browser and is lightning fast. It's customizable and allows for widgets (they are nice, but I'm not a fan of widgets unless they're on mac dashboard.) It allows for add-ons and such, but because Firefox is such a bigger browser, there's not as much extensions available. I wasn't a fan of Opera's layout, but I think it was because Firefox is so easily customizable and just makes sense from the start. Whereas the Opera browser has a weird layout. That's not too bad though because it is customizable to some degree. I almost switched to Opera actually, after all that, I was toying with switching because of the speed and it still allowed for extensions. The thing that kept me with firefox ultimately was the ads.
    I hate adverts. They're horrible, but no one likes them I guess. I couldn't get rid of them, and that angered me. I didn't get any pop-ups, but I saw too many ads. Ads on this site, mega-zone of ads on myspace (so much so that it makes me wonder what the hell it's like for those poor, poor IE users.) I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I honestly had no clue that PSPMod had ads on it, until I used IE at school. I tried Opera later on, and got the same ads - everywhere. Something myspace, has no ads what so ever with Firefox, and that was the pulling element.

Rundown of my Browsers:
    1. Firefox
    2. Firefox Portable. (I have it on my flash drive, and use that I have to, anything to not use IE)
    3. Opera
    4. Safari(for windows yes. I truly despise IE...)
    5. Just not surfing the net.
    6. God! IE...
    This list didn't include any other browsers on purpose.

Oh, Let me know if you need any more Firefox info, extensions, whatever...
    Last edited by Pirate-M.Lifnen; 07-09-2007 at 03:13 PM.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Firefox is easily the best.
    Although i must disagree with Pirate. Put safari for windows after not using the internet at all. Safari for windows in a hell of alot worse that IE.

Member PSP User
    FireFox. After my experience with IE, I'll never go back. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    How is IE7 better? When you look at them side by side, I really disagree.
    I Said Technically , FireFox is faster, Firefox is Easier, Firefox had a lot of extensions & skins .... but the only browser in the world could load pages with all code details like DIV and Table Tags ... is Internet Explorer

What?
    Firefox loads div, sorry man, but you're mistaken. Although, FF doesn't treat divs as text in terms of text-align. You need to make it CSS, or float it.
    That'll be universal, not so with <div>.
    I don't see how someone would think that a browser that reads something a little differently, but still reads and produces the same effect.

Firefox doesn't load tables? Tables load perfectly. If you don't know how to make a table and how to properly align it... then that'll be a problem, but otherwise.

I still don't get how a minor read flaw in one browser make a shitty one the best. I've never had any problems with firefox's display, it's been 100%.

There are many options for a simple tag like <div style="voice-family:inherit"></div> , i made this news website by PHP, charnabsh.com check this with both of Firefox and IE and you will understand what i'm saying ...

Sorry dude, but that site show up excatly the same in FF2 as IE7 for me.
    For some reason, though, IE's scrollbar is on the left side, which was annoying as piss.

i had to post a sample, because you couldn't understand it

Here is the Firefox Result

and Here is the IE Result as you can see IE shows the True Space between upper table and main table

Personally i had to use all of the Standard and non-standard Browsers because i am a Web Designer and my Designs should be same and standard in all situations

Web Programming is to hard for us, because my language is Right to Left and it's very hard to make a compatible web site with all browsers
    Last edited by Unforgiv3N; 07-09-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Leik OH-EM-GEE! IE7 is soooo much more good cuz its got those extra 5 px in there...
    Not trying to sound like a smartass, but that doesnt really add or subtract from the overall quality of the webpage.

Try CSS?
    Code:
    div#title { 
    XXX 
    }
    vs
    Code:
    <div id="title">
    XXX
    </div>
    NoSmokingBandit: It does matter. You're right, it's not a huge deal, but unforgiven is right, that should be the same. I too design web sites, so it's quite hassle trying to get everything right, and then, there's stuff just won't work. It's annoying at matters to the designer.
    Last edited by Pirate-M.Lifnen; 07-09-2007 at 06:31 PM.

In this case though, is there a definite correct way to display the data, or is it just two different approaches that produce different results? I only know rudimentary html, so i may sound noobish. If Firefox is displying something incorrectly in relation to the code, then its a problem. But if it displying something different than IE, then its just different. No right/wrong, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSmokingBandit View Post
    In this case though, is there a definite correct way to display the data, or is it just two different approaches that produce different results? I only know rudimentary html, so i may sound noobish. If Firefox is displying something incorrectly in relation to the code, then its a problem. But if it displying something different than IE, then its just different. No right/wrong, just different.
    There's more than one way to skin a cat. And theres thousands of ways to design webs. So it depends.
    I do agree, it's just different, and you have to know about it, and code accordingly if you don't want difference CSS would be a good option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast