Thread: Best Free Protection?

1. #1 Best Free Protection? 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Lone_Nite's Avatar
    just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for free antivirus, firewall, and antispyware programs. right now i have avg antivirus installed for virus probs, ad-aware 2007 for spyware, and i cant find a decent free firewall so i'm using the shitty windows firewall. also could sumone explain to me what the hell malware is? and do i really need an antimalware program? if so are there any good free ones out there? sadly my comp is running vista so i hope that theres some free programs compatible with vista, its actually a gateway laptop that i got for my graduation present that already had vista installed on it (wish i could get rid of vista). thanks in advance.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    zone alarm is free. ive been using it for 4 yrs and still swear by it
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Antivirus: AVG Free Edition, it's hands-down the best free AV solution available.

Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free Edition (If you have a router with a built-in hardware firewall, you don't need an extra software firewall. Router firewalls are more than enough to keep you safe.)

Spyware: Spybot Search & Destroy / Ad-Aware SE Personal. Use both, one after the other.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    i love AVG. my friend reccomended it to me years ago and i never looked back. uninstalled norton AV and its been good since then
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Member PSP User
    I use AVG Free Edition, too. Its a very nice free alternative.
    I also have Spybot/Ad-Adaware. lol

And right now I am downloading ZoneAlarm Free Edition

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker adam's Avatar
    abbstinence...100% effective too
    YOU THINK BEGINNER SHOULD BE MOD!?http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmwar...some-help.html Think AGAIN!
    READ THIS THREAD!

Follow this thread to earn some free stuff w/o a credit card!
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/off-top...-refferal.html

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Draconis's Avatar
    Antivirus = AVG as mentioned and AVAST! free edition which I have installed on a vista laptop which works fine.

There are other free firewalls besides Zonealarm but over zonealarm is the best.

Spyware= Adware spybot

Other useful tools: CCleaner rids of unesscary temp files much faster and better then windows cleanup and you can delelte unessacary registry keys.

Hijack this is a must if you need to rid an infected comp but only if you know what you are doing within the registry( i haven't used it in a long time and it seems trend micro took over this freeware project but it still is a free tool)

Majorgeeks has links for everything you would need.

Unless you are visting massive amounts of " adult content" sites then preventive maintenance with a few programs is all that is needed.

Malware the abbrevation for malicious software can fall under different categories but is basically software meant to damage your pc without your knowledge and permission. An anti-virus program and routine runs of spyware removal will be sufficient.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    windows defender is the best spyware program I have found... much better than adaware... mainly because microsoft didnt program it, they bought the company that made it

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    I use AVG for anti-virus, and Spybot, and Ad-Aware for anti-spyware.
    I'm looking at ZoneAlarm here now, but I'm wondering about an anti-rootkit.
    I don't have one, but could anyone recommend one?

Malware is "malicious software", or basically just bad and harmful software.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent. It is a portmanteau of the words "malicious" and "software". The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.
    Link
    Last edited by Pirate-M.Lifnen; 07-22-2007 at 07:28 PM.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Lone_Nite's Avatar
    sweet, lotsa info. i've had AVG forever and i'm gonna continue using it cuz its the best i've found so far. i hated norton when i had it, bogged my computer down way too much. i'm just worried that zonealarm will hog alot of resources on my laptop. ever since i got my laptop its been kinda running slow, bugs the hell outta me. considering the specs i'd think that i'd do fine, maybe its just windows vista being a piece of shit? my laptop has a gig of ram, 120 gig hard drive, intel dual-core processors at 1.73ghz each, and an ATI radeon 256mb graphics card. despite all this i have trouble running any games at all on my laptop, guess laptops just arent meant for gaming. guess i cant complain since my laptop was free.