Thread: [Admins] PSPMod IRC channel...

1. #1 [Admins] PSPMod IRC channel... 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Hey all. I know this probably isn't the right place for this thread but I read this thread:

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/general...om-pspmod.html

It's a great idea, don't get me wrong. It's just that AIM chatrooms are very limited in their functionality and capabilities. That's not even talking compatibility like I stated in my post in that thread. You'd be hard-pressed to find a Linux chat client that is compatible with AIM chatrooms. That's the beauty of IRC, it's a standard so ALL IRC clients are 100% compatible with it.

Anyways, I still think that an IRC channel would be good for us as a community. Most major forums I've been a part of have had one or several IRC channels, and it's also a great way to get new members. It would also be easier to help some people on IRC. You can get things done a lot faster than you can on a forum when it comes to technical help.

I've talked with some of the admins at irc.enterthegame.com and they'd be happy to register #pspmod on that network for us. When a channel becomes registered it gets it's own Chanserv bot and a permanent online status on the server. Even if nobody is in the channel it's always there. However, I need Julie and Admin and the rest of the admins to support this decision as well, because since we're a modding community ETG requires it for legal reasons. Not only that, the admins are the cornerstones of this community so it should be a group effort. So, here I am.

Anyways... if anyone would like to talk to me about this personally or if any of you have questions about the process you can use the quicklinks to reach me on AIM/MSN/etc. I'm also sitting in this pspmodchat AIM chatroom that Julie created so you can talk to me there too

Thanks.
    Last edited by DarkED; 08-08-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker drizzle's Avatar
    We used to have an IRC channel for pspmod.
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/anythin...c-channel.html

It was inactive alot of the time. Eventually no one used it. We have alot of different members on the forum (and still some old ones ) now, so some might use it. You can always give this another shot.
    Before you post please
    Read the sticky's Read the manual Use the search button Google it

Drizzle's so cool he sh*ts icecubes.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
    We used to have an IRC channel for pspmod.
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/anythin...c-channel.html

It was inactive alot of the time. Eventually no one used it. We have alot of different members on the forum (and still some old ones ) now, so some might use it. You can always give this another shot.
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. We have lots of new members now and I think it would get plenty of use.

Thanks.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    i like the idea of a more universal irc chat client. is it possible to have the client linked to your pspmod name so theres no need to make a account or screenname
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i like the idea of a more universal irc chat client. is it possible to have the client linked to your pspmod name so theres no need to make a account or screenname
    There's no way to make it link with your PSPMod accoumnt, however, with IRC you don't have to make an account or screename. You just run your IRC client (of which there are countless to choose from) type in whatever nickname you want and then connect to the server and join the channel. You can change your nickname at will on IRC, you don't even have to disconnect to do it.

We could just pop the server ip and the channel name on the main PSPMod page or something. As of right now it would be:

irc.enterthegame.com
    #pspmod

But the channel still hasn't been registered so it can be anything we want. We could also use a different IRC server but ETG is pretty good and it's centered around gaming so it kinda fits.