Thread: my steering wheel shakes?

1. #1 my steering wheel shakes? 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I recently went to mavis to get an inspection.
    Now i went there once before, when i first bought my new car, i needed new rotors all around, i didnt get them done, and when i left, my car starts shaking at 50-60 MPH.
    I bought new rotors myself ($50 each where mavis said $620 with installation)
    I went and had ANOTHER mavis do them for me since they charged so much less, and i also needed a new wheel bearing (1st mavis said 375 w/o installation, new mavis said $200 w/ installation)
    I left there, breaks worked fine, then i realized the steering wheel was still shaking, so i tightened the lugs, and the car was fine (shook at maybe 80ish MPH, but not as violently as it used to)
    Then i went to mavis #1 again, for an inspection, since they were the only place that could, they told me i needed new tires (what a shock, they always make you need something!) and i left and the steering wheel shook violently again at 60, and they balanced my tires and everything!
    Went back today, and told them they musta did something, so the mechanic shows me what i forgot what he called it, but i BELIEVE it was my wheel berring, or tie rod possibly? or something, and it was loose. He said it would run me about $300, which there online for maybe $30 or so, so i said nevermind, and drove away.
    Now as soon as i left there, my car starts shaking at 40! and the lugs are tight as they need to be.
    what can this problem be?
    and does anyone else have this experience with mavis?
    It just pisses me off sometimes

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    Autoshops screw your car, auto dealer shops are the worst. I've had 2 Sports cars become shit after some repairs. I just goto family auto mechanics for any jobs

never get car stuff done at a big chain place. I take my car to the town mechanic to get everything fixed that i cant do myself and i've had no problems.
    Big chains dont really need your business, so they can screw you over and get away with it. Small businesses need their customers, so they take good care of everyone.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    here ya go justin. the answer HAS to be on this site

WikiAnswers - What causes a shaky steering wheel
    R.I.P Zoidberg

I'm trying to figure out what it could be from those answers, i also realized today that it also doesn't seem to turn quick enough, let me explain.
    When its shaking, and i turn the wheel left or right, very very lightly, like maybe an inch over, it doesn't feel like its responding. This MIGHT have something to do with it, I'm not sure, I'm not into wheel and suspension, more into engine repairs
    And today, after driving in the rain, it doesn't shake as much at 40, but still going on the highway after 55-60 MPH, it shakes like its about to break down

And when we put the car up on a lift, the driverside front tire sort of wabbles, so i don't know what that can be, looking online its a wheel bearing, but i just got that fixed.. and it doesnt make a sound like its shot

I would get a second opinion from a real mechanics shop, or even my friends dad, but I'm leaving in the morning for Canada, vacation at my summer home.
    Last edited by justinisloco; 08-18-2007 at 04:36 AM.