Thread: The Forum Knowledge Dictionary!

1. #1 The Forum Knowledge Dictionary! 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker HALOBOY's Avatar
    Well since we all are smarter than a first forumer,I decided to make this dictionary so people joining a forum(particularly this one) will know the basic terms.I know like parents and other "adults" dont understand what a forum even is.so lets fill them in.I know there have been dictionaries like this before but i promise you this ones gonna be great.

PSP:a handheld game console released and currently manufactured by Sony Computer Entertainment in which this site hacks.
    Hacks/Hacking:a clever or quick fix to a psp problem;a modification of a program or device to give the user access to features that were otherwise unavailable to them aka exploitation.
    Hacker:A person who exploits a systems problems to use it to thier benefits.
    Forum:an assembly, meeting place,etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.In this situation psp modding.
    Modding:a slang expression that is derived from the verb,"modify"
    Modder:A person who "mods" firmware or hardware.
    Moderator/mods(no relation to system "mods" just a short term):a person who presides over a panel discussion(basically leaders of a forum,in ranks)
    Administrator:Basic manager/s of a site (including moderators)
    I.P.(Internet Protocol address):a unique address that certain electronic devices use in order to identify and communicate with each other on a computer network
    Post:A verb in which to create a topic of intrest.(plz do it in the right section)
    Topic:A discussion made by one either to get info,ask questions,debate or just generally chat with other members.
    Double post:Very important rule to follow is to not double post in which is the act of posting twice in a row in the same topic.Alot of forums dont have this but it is effective in mantaining order and neatness in a topic.
    "Sticky":A Topic that has been "stickied", is a popular topic found interesting enough by the moderators to put on the top of the page for readers to see.(Usually a very helpful or important topic such as rules or updates)
    "Flame":An arguement started between two people in which has escalated beyond the topic discussion.
    Flame War:A chaotic battle in which many users decide to "flame" each other till the topic is null and void.Usually ends up in the topic getting locked/closed and people fighting on sides.Very disgusting dont do it.
    Locked/Closed:A topic has violated rules or has been burnt up by a flame war. Causing it to be unable to be posted in.
    Chat room:A recent addition to this forum.A chat room is used to ask questions,chat and debate instantly with complete freedom aside from the punishments for sneeking in an iso discussion.
    Iso:a disk image in which a psp game can be played off of.Forum rules bans this discussion because it is illegal to have the iso if you dont have the purchased game and therefore sites with isos on them cannot be posted here either.
    Hardware:External.Body Kit,faceplate,battery,UMD.....the outside stuff
    Software:Internal System.RAM,internal memory,all the good stuff from the motherboard.
    Motherboard:the central or primary circuit board making up the complex of the PSP.
    Emulator:After emulation this is a duplication(provides an emulation of) the functions of one system using a different system.A perfect and famous example is the Snes emulator playing snes games on the psp.
    ROM:a computer file which contains a copy of the data from a read-only memory chip.Basically the same as an iso only at this point programs like the snes emulator are needed to run them.This is also illegal and forbidden to talk about since the game is required to have been purchased to play the rom.
    Homebrew:applied only to video games that are produced by consumers on proprietary game platforms.Basically home made games playable on a psp how cool is that.This is legal as long as you dont sell them.
    CFW(Custom Firmware):A modded psp firmware version to let the psp play isos,be customized,run hombrew and programs.
    Firmware:A systems version.Originally plotted by developers the version can be hacked to let the psp be opened to a magic world of hackers and modders.
    APP:Short term for applications aka programs
    Wifi:Wireless connectivity
    Ad-Hoc:Wireless conectivity to psps in the area.
    Noob:A slang word for a new person or a person who acts like a new person.
    Link:A directory thats a one hit click to a website,picture or other internet posted item.
    Banned:When a person has excessivly disobeyed the rules or has broken one of the more controversial ones they get banned from using the site for a specific timeline or permanently.
    Referral:
    XMB:
    Profile:
    Sig:
    Smilies(lol):
    Upgrade:
    Downgrade:
    RSS:
    Kbs(kilo-byte):
    GB(giga-byte):
    MB(mega-byte):
    Upload:
    Download:

XMB TERMS
    Coldboot:
    Gameboot:
    Cintro:
    Icons/topmenu:
    Submenu:
    Volume Bar:
    Battery Bar:
    Wave:
    Xmb Click sounds:
    Wallpaper/background/01-12:

iight now i dont got all night so ill finish up tommorow hope you guys are likeing it so far im putting alot into it.Props To wikipedia and dictionary.com.
    Last edited by HALOBOY; 10-25-2007 at 09:21 PM.
    2.60>2.71>1.5>3.03OE-C>Semibrick>1.5>3.03OE-C>3.40 OE-A>REFLASH>3.40-HALO>1.5>3.40-HALO
    Have 3.40 OE-A?SHOW US! edited9/25/07 http://www.pspmod.com/forums/digital...ions-here.html
    Custom Halo PSP

PSPz Hacked:6 Bricks:1 Semibricks:3 Pandora Revives:2

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Dahab's Avatar
    Theres a completed thread Julie made about this lol
    PC: Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.00Ghz || 5GB Kingston 800Mhz || MSI nVidia 8800GT 1GB || WD 7200rpm 250GB || Seagate Free Agent 1.5TB || Benq 20" Monitor || Logitech G5 Two Thumb Button Edition || Logitech G11 Keyboard || Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64 || Gigabyte Sumo 5115 Chassis || MSI P7N Diamond || Zalman 850W

Gaming Consoles:
    Xbox 360 Elite (Falcon)

Samsung Series 6 1080p 32" HDTV

Gadgets:
    Nokia N95 8GB
    Sony PSP with 5.00 M33-6

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    yeah mate Julie made this one long time ago
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-har...ictionary.html
    but your does have some good things
    like double post/closed topic and stuff about the forum
    not just psp's

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker HALOBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spleblem View Post
    yeah mate Julie made this one long time ago
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-har...ictionary.html
    but your does have some good things
    like double post/closed topic and stuff about the forum
    not just psp's
    well yea thats what i was referring to when I said there were threads like this but the flaw with that thread was people just put words and no definitions and people had to contribute words.So I thought what if they missed a term someone needs to know? thats why rather than people submitting thier own id share my knowledge of the forums and also add every tim someone came up with a new one or I learned a new one.Just basically cause people wouldnt put download and upload bc they know those definitions but people out thier still dont know what that means so i include the basics.
    2.60>2.71>1.5>3.03OE-C>Semibrick>1.5>3.03OE-C>3.40 OE-A>REFLASH>3.40-HALO>1.5>3.40-HALO
    Have 3.40 OE-A?SHOW US! edited9/25/07 http://www.pspmod.com/forums/digital...ions-here.html
    Custom Halo PSP

PSPz Hacked:6 Bricks:1 Semibricks:3 Pandora Revives:2