Thread: Why cant electronic manufacturers make decent remote controls? (picture included)

1. #1 Why cant electronic manufacturers make decent remote controls? (picture included) 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker drew00629's Avatar
    Now that i have my digital camera, i have to rant about a few things.

Out of curiosity, what would you imagine the majority of the world uses a TV for? I think its to watch television.. that makes the most sense.

This is a picture of my tvs factory remote controls.

#1. WHY THE F#%$ would any manufacturer give you tiny volume and channel buttons, but dedicate the rest of the remote to menu functions? Im using a tv to WATCH TV.
    #2. Whats even worse is, that i can understand bombing on a remote, but ive included pictures of TWO remotes, by completely different manufacturers.
    #3. Am I the only one that believes a tv is used to watch tv? Yeah, im occasionally in the menu.. but i spend far more time watching tv, then fixing #@#@%@% settings.

The psp included in the picture just shows you the size of aquos remote.. its not open, but when it is, it extends to nearly 14"

So to the manufacturers or employees out there. MAKE A REMOTE CONTROL USING COMMON SENSE!!!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    i was think that just the other day
    remotes need to be total redesigned.
    a well designed remote could make a designer loads of money

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    channel and volume buttons aren't seen as important on the tv remote anymore because with the way the television industry is going you need some kind of box or receiver to watch tv. if you look at the remote for a cable box those buttons are much larger than yours in the picture.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by spleblem View Post
    i was think that just the other day
    remotes need to be total redesigned.
    a well designed remote could make a designer loads of money
    Yup, we need Apple to redesign them. Does anyone know what remote comes with the Apple TV? I found this picture: http://www.tvover.net/content/binary...e-01102007.jpg But it seems to be the same remote that comes with the MacBook. Can anyone confirm this?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    if it is the remote that comes with apple TV
    then it is simple and well design, anyone can pick up that remote and know how operate the basic components on the TV channel and volume.
    EDIT: hehehe this is my 1234 post

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    Why worry about buttons? Logitech ftw.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker drew00629's Avatar
    ive had touch screen remotes, and they simply suck. You need hardkeys. at two in the morning when youre just going to bed, you can easily find the hard keys.. with a touchscreen, you have to make sure that you are in the right menu, then hope you hit the right button.
    the apple tv remote is ok, but it still needs number buttons. if you got 200 channels, flipping through 100 to get to 101 would take a year.
    and that logitech remote is ghey... its the size of a freakin saucer plate.. you must control it with two hands. My brother had a harmony 880 and it had a decent selection of hard keys, but at $200 you can buy an hd-dvd player for that.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker rex922's Avatar
    well meh why do u need those buttons i have cable tv has too many channels so i usE number buttons
    PSP Journey:
    3.71OFW->Pandora->3.71m33->3.71m33-2->3.71m33-3-->1.5--->3.52m33->3.52m33-4->3.71m33-4--->5.00m33-3+1.5Kernel+UPTv5.0.2
    U.P.M.S Easy Installer Guide/CwCheat+IRSHELL/Cintro For 3.71m33-3(Almost)

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by rex922 View Post
    well meh why do u need those buttons i have cable tv has too many channels so i usE number buttons
    They are very useful for when you are just bored and don't know what to watch. So you only flip around to see if anything good is on. :P

On a similar topic, has someone gotten the PSP IR remote app to work? If yes, is it any good?