Thread: Laptop for Xmas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    Shitty laptop, I almost feel like your buying a dell.
    the 1.5Ghz 2 Duo could be better.
    Ram is fine, as well as the Hdd capacity. 5400 rpm is fine to a extent.
    The video card on the other hand is the last thing you would want, anything thats Intel Graphics related is junk in the end. Sure it has the 384MB of power but it's a shared resources card. Should have look for something that had a nVidia or Ati dedicated card so it could take pressure away from the processor.

For 850, It's a bit better than your average Dell laptop, but if your gonna use it for school work and that sort of thing than it's about ok. For gaming, even for something low to middle range gaming it's not the very best for performance. You should have no problems with Half Life 2 though.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarAuthority View Post
    Shitty laptop, I almost feel like your buying a dell.
    the 1.5Ghz 2 Duo could be better.
    Ram is fine, as well as the Hdd capacity. 5400 rpm is fine to a extent.
    The video card on the other hand is the last thing you would want, anything thats Intel Graphics related is junk in the end. Sure it has the 384MB of power but it's a shared resources card. Should have look for something that had a nVidia or Ati dedicated card so it could take pressure away from the processor.

For 850, It's a bit better than your average Dell laptop, but if your gonna use it for school work and that sort of thing than it's about ok. For gaming, even for something low to middle range gaming it's not the very best for performance. You should have no problems with Half Life 2 though.
    I don't see how thats shitty, for a laptop, especially when only a few months ago C2D processors were in the $400 range alone for the processor, and this is retail.

I run HL2 on a P4 2.4ghz 1gig of ram and an 256mb video card, with max settings, don't get 100+fps, but it's playable.

so it's not going to run crysis, but it still beats my pc.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Major Zero's Avatar
    I so want a laptop... I was looking into the Vaios... with the Blueray drive... i seen one on the Net for $520 but it's from UK... last time i got something from the UK I got screwed and lost money...

I just want one that can Handel Cod4.. not that I play it that much, i'd prefur Cod2 but If it can run Cod4 then It should run PShop CS3 no prob...
    Refresh for more Sigs

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Zero View Post
    I so want a laptop... I was looking into the Vaios... with the Blueray drive... i seen one on the Net for $520 but it's from UK... last time i got something from the UK I got screwed and lost money...

I just want one that can Handel Cod4.. not that I play it that much, i'd prefur Cod2 but If it can run Cod4 then It should run PShop CS3 no prob...
    Lol, the cheapest laptop you could find from a retailer will run CS3 with no problems.

The C2D's are on average around 2.0-2.4GHZ now so something at 1.5Ghz is outdated and out performed on most laptops, and still cost efficient. I still see C2D's selling for $400 at the 2.2Ghz scale, of course they have extra's that make them that much though.

But the shared video card is gonna cause more ache to the processor than a dedicated one. So running something like half life 2 on high would rougly get you around 30-40fps if your lucky.

My home laptop which run a dedicated 256mb card and runs a good 2GHz Turion 64 X2 with a single GB of ram, runs Half life 2 on high at 60-110fps. .

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Bamhsc's Avatar
    Yeah I didn't get it for hardcore gaming. I'll probably be play Project64 mostly anyways.
    5400 rpm is just decent though? I disagree. I think for a laptop at 850, that's greatly exceeding "decent".
    I agree for middle of even low gaming it wont be the very best performance but for high-performance you're looking at $1000+ which I can't spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Plus, the advert is a girl eating snow...
    +1 for the snow.

well 5400 is rather average, most folks try for the 7200's. But at least it's no 4200 on haha.

Although I am glad you went with the HP tag, they're one of the best makes out there. I'm looking at getting a Travemate Sager 20" later on . (Yea, its a monster).

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker ilovejedd's Avatar
    5400 rpm is pretty much standard for laptops nowadays. It's fine but it won't be giving you ultra-fast performance. You can always opt for a smaller 7200 rpm hard drive, though. Still, at $850, that's a decent enough laptop. Not a steal by any means, but good enough.
    -> still can't figure out why

Black US - 1.50
    Black US - 1.50 -> 3.03 OE-A -> 3.40* LE v3
    White JP - 2.00 -> 1.50 -> 3.03 OE-A
    2 x Crisis Core JP - 3.60
    Black US - 1.50 -> 3.40* LE v3
    Black US - 3.03 -> 1.50 -> 3.40* LE v3 -> 3.52 M33-4 -> 3.71 M33-2 -> 3.71 M33-3
    Black US - 3.40 OE-A -> 3.40* LE v3
    Felicia Blue JP - 3.71 -> 3.71 M33-3

"Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product."

Haha I was about to say 20" is a monster but you took the words right out of my mouth.
    Yeah I had been told by several friends and circuit city guys that HP was the way to go.
    So that's what I started researching on.
    +1 for the snow.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    It's a nice laptop, the specs are great for what you're wanting to do with it.

+1 for the snow.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

I'm sure there's one on ebay or something, but this gives you an idea of what it can house. I'm not exactly sure if it's the right model though.
    Sager NP5960 20" nForce4 SLI AMD Turion Gaming Notebook (Clevo M590KE)

Wow that's an intense notebook. Haha.
    I don't have that kind of money though.
    Haha Pirate I don't know why but that actually made me laugh out loud.
    Quoted.
    +1 for the snow.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Alright! I'm awesome!

But, yeah $3000 is a bit steep when compared to under $1000.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by WarAuthority View Post
    well 5400 is rather average, most folks try for the 7200's. But at least it's no 4200 on haha.
    For the average user 5200 is better since it uses considerably less power and generates less heat. Its the classic struggle of battery life vs performance. All of my drives in my desktop of 5200's and they do just fine but i dont really work them to death.
    I hate (read: HATE!!!!!) HP computers in all shapes and forms. The come loaded to the gills with crap-ware and are built sub-par. From my experience anyway. I <3 acer. Great computers for the price. My mom got herself and acer and its great. First time she booted it up it had nothing installed except the os and the usual control-panel addons. No trial shit that big companies try to force on you. Its built like a rock too. Its pretty heavy (but its a 17" so thats expected) and feels like it could take a few hard drops and still keep kicking.
    Last edited by Canada2113; 12-18-2007 at 02:51 AM.
    Very funny....not.

Yea, Acers are wonderful laptops totally forgot to mention those aswell. Right up there with Sagers . Yea, The crap-ware is annoying, but for a non-average user it's a 5min clean up job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast