Thread: A Penny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 A Penny 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker VeryThinPSP's Avatar
    Do you think a penny dropped off the Empire State building would kill someone? Do you think it would penetrate the skull? How about break the skin? What do you think would happen if someone "dropped" a penny off the Empire State building? Don't worry about the impossible factors such as not being able to drop it.....just imagine you have very very long arms and access to the top of the Empire State building.

What do you think would happen if a penny was dropped off of the Taipei 101 skyscraper? Do you think it would kill someone then?

How about the Space Needle?

The reason for this question is me and my friends were drinking a few nights ago and we started getting into drunk debates. I think I said something like "I heard if you drop a penny of the Space Needle it could kill someone.". Then we got side tracked and brought the discussion back up when something was said about the Empire State building. Me and one of the other guys was pretty sure it would. The other guy was pretty positive it wouldn't. We probably talked about it for 40mins. Anyways....I bring the question to you now. What do you think?
    Last edited by VeryThinPSP; 12-30-2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Typo. :p
    3.60>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>SOLD!>3.60>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>SOLD!

8 Billion dollars wasted. Increased federal spending led to increased use.Time to stop?
    Very Funny STUFF FOR SALE!
    PWND! FREE PSP!
    R.I.P. MIDIAN

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker dmian_123's Avatar
    i say yes to all cuz the buildings ar high
    PSP History-->3.71-->3.72-->3.71m33-33-->3.71m33-4-->3.80m33-5 back to 3.71m33-3

Nice logic there.

8 Billion dollars wasted. Increased federal spending led to increased use.Time to stop?
    PWND! FREE PSP!
    R.I.P. MIDIAN

yea if pennys hurt wen sum1 throws it at u from close now imagine from a building daym the payne not only that itll crack ur skull
    PSP History-->3.71-->3.72-->3.71m33-33-->3.71m33-4-->3.80m33-5 back to 3.71m33-3

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker d[^_^]b_psp's Avatar
    you gotta remember though, when someone throws a penny at you, the edge usually hits you cuz the penny facing like this, |, but if the penny hits you like this, O, it doesnt even hurt, it just slaps you and you might laugh or prolly pick it up and throw it back and whoever hit you. Plus, doesnt wind usually occur in high places? so the wind might throw off the penny's velocity while falling.

http://www.freewebs.com/andro2usa/
    HELP ANDROMEDA COME TO THE US of A
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    Depends.
    Anyone care to be the test subject?
    =D

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Nope. It wouldn't. It doesn't have enough mass to "penny-trate" the skin. (Excuse the pun...) Even when fired from a rifle, traveling at the same speed as a bullet.
    This was done on mythbusters. And here's the results.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Dustin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Nope. It wouldn't. It doesn't have enough mass to "penny-trate" the skin. (Excuse the pun...) Even when fired from a rifle, traveling at the same speed as a bullet.
    This was done on mythbusters. And here's the results.
    you just had to bring the mythbusters in didnt you? lol

PSP History - 3.03>Pandora>1.50>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>3.71 M33-4>BRICKED>1.50>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-4+1.50Kernal>3.80 M33> 3.80 M33-2
    "God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. -Voltaire

Yes, sorry. I'm a fan of scientific proof, not just looking at it and guessing. (Which...is a big part of science.)

"Yeap, that's purty high up thur. I reckon it'd plum near killaman if ita hit'eem."

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Yes, sorry. I'm a fan of scientific proof, not just looking at it and guessing. (Which...is a big part of science.)

"Yeap, that's purty high up thur. I reckon it'd plum near killaman if ita hit'eem."
    yeh i love wathcing mythbusters i have every episode on dvd.

woot 100th post

PSP History - 3.03>Pandora>1.50>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-3>3.71 M33-4>BRICKED>1.50>3.71 M33-2>3.71 M33-4+1.50Kernal>3.80 M33> 3.80 M33-2
    "God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. -Voltaire

Yeah, I highly doubt it would. I could see it severely hurting someone though. Also, the wind factor would cause it to slow down alot. The penny wouldn't be traveling anywhere near the speed of a bullet. Maybe about 1/5 of the speed. Probably sting very badly though.

PWND! FREE PSP!
    R.I.P. MIDIAN

Quote Originally Posted by VeryThinPSP View Post
    Yeah, I highly doubt it would. I could see it severely hurting someone though. Also, the wind factor would cause it to slow down alot. The penny wouldn't be traveling anywhere near the speed of a bullet. Maybe about 1/5 of the speed. Probably sting very badly though.
    haha see someone walking down the street "woah wtf was that??!!!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    haha see someone walking down the street "woah wtf was that??!!!?!?"
    lol just like walking down the street and watch sum1 get crapped by a bird in the head lol the look in their faces

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    I remember that episode of mythbusters...

I think it can since it can make a dent in the sidewalk.

But I guess I can't beat science...

The speed (terminal velocity) was around 67 mph I think.
    A bullet generally travels between 1200 and - 5000 fps (feet/second). The latter being nearly 1 mile per second.

But at it's terminal velocity, 67 mph, it apparently just hurts a bit. The guys from Mythbusters made a gun to fire pennies at their top falling speed, and they shot each other with it a few times, and laughed it off.

As for the wind, because they're up on a sky scraper, they specifically used the Empire State Building, the penny would never hit the ground. The shape of the building causes winds to hit the walls of the buildings and then shoot upwards along the wall of the skyscraper, reaching speeds of up to 200mph.
    So, really, the penny is likely to just come back to you. Or, to fall down to the nearest deck below you.

Edit: The dent. It only put the impression of Lincoln's head into it, but it remained flat.
    It did chip away a little when they shot it at fresh black top though...

And, sorry for the nerdy post.
    Last edited by Pirate-M.Lifnen; 12-30-2007 at 02:38 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast