Thread: The Console Wars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Console Wars 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Ok, since there has been some complaint that Ive been overly bias to a few of the systems and my rating system hasw been unrevealed, ill try this agian, but first, the gamer creds:
    I have been gaming since the origional mario bros and have never stopped since. I owned every major system release since, (including handhelds,) live in a family of gamers that have had more experience or equal. I also work at a local gamershop taht is very similar to Gamestop.
    now for my disclaimer:
    All views in this post are openion supported by facts either found in my own life, on the net, or are publicly traded opinion by at least 5 people. if your disagree it is fully your right, i am simply trying to rank the best of the best videogame playing machine. (this is very important. to note.)
    my ranking system: this is based on a three pronged front that has its own smaller listings. here they are:

1: Use as a gaming machine: This one is most important. it is my compelled belief that if your going to spend money on a gaming system, it should do its purpose and do it very,very well. (3 pnts possible)

2: Functionality: this incorporates everything from hardware to softare, and also incorporates known problems. ( 1 pnt possible)

3: Extra features: All that handy extra stuff we all like but can essentially live without. (1 pnt possible)

Ok! finally lets get started. first, our sites favorite:

Playstation portable:

The good: This machine is more useful then a swiss army knife and twice as pretty. The out of the box model it has a alot of fun features, (im sure you all know them so listing them is pointless...) and with homebrew it can do practicly anything. (Hell, i have a word processor in mine!) its a small and functional gadget, and is in my pocket all the time.

The Bad: Well, unfortunitly this isnt a handy-gadget review. the fact of the matter is as a gaming system, it flops on its belly hard. its not a bad system perse, but it certainly doesnt have the portable game chops that nintendo has. (its only portable contender.) the fact that you can rip nearly any pregen game you want onto it is what saves its Use rating. (after all, why develop games that are worth playing when we have nearly every game released to play!) Also its not the heartiest system ever made, (in a matter of fact, in my hands it feels delicate.)

The Ugly: 3:5 where it fails is really its UMD's there are none that are worth really buying, (or at least none you cant get a ripped copy of anyway,) which make it's function very limited to a shiny gadget. as cool as it is.

Nintendo DS:

The good: Nintendo has had a deadlock on the portable gaming market since its release of the origional gameboy. Destroying all competition. (sorry gamegear.) The fact ofthe matter is, as wierd as this thing is, its got chops. The games worth playing are at the same time worth buying, and are addicting for hours and hours of play. (Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario, Advance Wars, Pokemon, etc) Plus like all nintendo products, the thing has chunk. it can survive drops, kicks, falls, being put therough the spin cycle and used as a frisbee.

The bad: its features are very,very limited. with homebrewed stuff it can play music, can install roms and other assorted goodies, but other then that what you see is what you get. As for its portability, it is very questionable, its a bit bulky, and most control schemes dont allow you to really play while actually on the move, really confining it to waits at doctors offices or for that big meeting.

The Ugly: 3:5 though it does have chunk and some really fun games, theres alot that could be left to be desired, plus it s features are near nothing.

Xbox 360

The Good: The first next gen system. Though in retrospect they should have probably waited a couple of months to iron out the bugs. aside for that 360 has planted its flag in the gaming universe and refuses to give up space. The shooter king and for good reason, most of its most fantastic hits have been just those. (Gears of War, Army of Two, Dark Sector,Halo, the list is just endless.) Plus thanks to the fact that Xbox Live is the most reliable online matchmacking sevice on a console these games are not going out soon. it has a few notiable features being a online store, uploadable movies and a music player. But most suprising is the 360 is expanding its repretior with play station exclusives, (grand theft auto and Devil may cry beign the biggest,) leaving 360 encroaching on thier space. Then there are some nice rpgs that dont get enough notice, (mass effect and Lost odyessy,) Xbox is claiming gound slowly but surely.

The bad: The biggest issue is the red ring of death. making your hundreds of dollars investment nothing more then scrap. Even with the extended warrenty its the biggest and most prominent reason not to buy this system. theres alsothe fact that you still have to pay for xbox live and that uploading movies and such directly is impossible. (as far as i know.)

The ugly: even with all its problems it gets a solid: 4:5 with a prefect gaming console rank and enough features to loan it the point, it is the highest ranked.

The Nintendo Wii:

The Good: if there has ever been anything out of left field, its this guy. it looks goofy, it plays new, and its name screams the time youll have with it. (whee!!) though this system is the graphicly weakest of them all, it certainly doesnt let them down. its innovative some-what simple control system can be (within theory,) learned by anyone. (at least, anyone that ever held a tv remote.) For most systems this control scheme wouldnt just be a hurdle, it would be detramental, this one instaed focused left on the heavy gravy games of the playstation and 360, and instead focuses on mindless fun. It had a slow start, but now there starting to sell games with the expected nintendo addictivness. (anyone that has played a nintendo signature game knows what i mean.) And now thier starting to use thier mighty characters to thier advantage. You remember the ones, the endless rain of characters that if they appeared on any other system, there would be mass rioting in the streets. (mario and the gang, donkey kong and the gang, zelda, kirby, the list is endless.) Nintendo has extreme gamer chops and thye are just starting to use them. this is making systems have literally no shelf life, there selling hot right now.

The Bad: Its well...a little wierd to say the least. That oddness can scare away newer or just unimaginitive gamer away. That with the really low amount of quality games (right now) really make it a toss up system. its features are there, but arnt realyl fully established yetthanks to the fact that thier online matchmaking system is sort of hampering. though im unsure if this is a bad or not, (acutally, personally i think its genious,) but many would complain that it is a much more kiddy system then people prefer.

The Ugly: 3.5:5 Nintendo can do some real damage with this guy though right now its more of a preferred user system right at the moment.

Playstation 3

The good: this guy is a very pretty system. It has easily the best graphics capibility of any system on the market today. It has bluetooth capibility, blue ray disk player, (which right now is a big reason to buy this system, since HDDVD's fell to thier demise,) integrated wireless and a big handful of features.

The bad: well, right now there are no exclusive games worth mentioning for it. Making it the equivelent to a watch that an do anything but tell time. that mixed with its heavy price pointand i have a impossible time selling these things. (right now were using four of them pushed together in the breakroom for a coffee table.)

the Ugly: it is a very short review but really theres not alot to say other then to mention tha it has great potential. It gets 2.5:5
    Last edited by Commissariot; 04-06-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Whining.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker pokey8349's Avatar
    quality post mate - there will be ALOT of sony fanboys coming here now and totally flaming your thread - they will not like the PS3 being under the DS
    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i can only imagine you making halo references during sex lol

"oh god... the flood is coming... ahhhhhhh"
    NEW SITE-RECRUITING STAFF JOIN>> www.modifyurpsp.co.nr

Trust Unto God and He Shall Direct Your Path

Visit the site for free ISO's and movies! - http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Yeah good post, I agree with the PS3 at the bottom, but I'm not sure about the xbox 360 at the top. It's a great system with great games, and a great (and comfortable) controller, but not very reliable.

Out of the 6 people I know that have a 360, 5 of them had to get it repaired or replaced... and the 6th person only had his for maybe 4 months.... so I'm pretty sure it will break soon enough.

The Wii is great, but to be honest I don't really play it much anymore. Rather than say it's because the Wii got boring or whatever, I'll blame it on me being too cheap to try new games, I still only have zelda and wii sports.

Sony Playstation Portable
    Slim & Lite
    Firmware: 4.01 M33-2

Sony Playstation 3
    80gb Model w/ Upgraded 320gb Internal HDD
    1tb External HDD
    Firmware: 2.40 Official

Currently Playing: Crisis Core, Metal Gear Solid 4

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Ps3's dont cost 600 anymore.
    The cost issue is moot when comparing the 360 to the ps3 anyway seeing as the ps3 has a hard drive and wireless card standard.

Sony always starts out slow and gets better. It was the same with the ps1 and ps2. This year there are a shitload of great ps3 games coming out and people dont seem to realize that when they compare consoles.

The fact that the 360 was released a year early is the reason they have a lock on the exclusives for 2 years. They pushed out crappy hardware in order to lock in the software, and it worked, but i dont think i would be praising them for it like you are.
    Very funny....not.

Junior Member PSP User
    Thanks to both of yah,but yeah it was a tough debate between the 360 and Wii for top spot. i chose 360 simply becuase as of now it has more quality games then the Wii. That fact is only supported by another, that its actually worth sending in a 360 to get repaired. Like I posted I believe highly in the Wii. I wouldnt be suprised if it took the topspot in later months.

Oh and if I -dont- get flamed by sony fanboys I would be incredably suprised. Im just waiting for the torches and picthforks.

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Ps3's dont cost 600 anymore.
    The cost issue is moot when comparing the 360 to the ps3 anyway seeing as the ps3 has a hard drive and wireless card standard.

Sony always starts out slow and gets better. It was the same with the ps1 and ps2. This year there are a shitload of great ps3 games coming out and people dont seem to realize that when they compare consoles.

The fact that the 360 was released a year early is the reason they have a lock on the exclusives for 2 years. They pushed out crappy hardware in order to lock in the software, and it worked, but i dont think i would be praising them for it like you are.
    Well your right, ill edit my post to explain that a 40gig psp is only 400 instead of 6, but the 80gig version still costs the same.
    as for the game releases, I dont judge a game before I play it, though Im sure that the release of metal gear will get some systems out the door, I wont know till it happens, then Ill modify my post.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Hercules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissariot View Post
    Well your right, ill edit my post to explain that a 40gig psp is only 400 instead of 6, but the 80gig version still costs the same.
    as for the game releases, I dont judge a game before I play it, though Im sure that the release of metal gear will get some systems out the door, I wont know till it happens, then Ill modify my post.
    Actually, the 80gig is $499 (500), and i am a sony fanboy, but i will not flame you, just kind of correct you, did you not mention that there is hardly no hardware problems? did you forget its capabilities with blue tooth devices? did you forget about internet broswing? also one of the number one things: free online gaming? i mean i have both system, but my ps3 is way better than a 360, so good, sold the 360 for $325...and one more thing, the ps3 has everything (except component or hdmi cables) in the box...can a 360 do that? no...and its perfect as is...now i can debate with you all day, and i may lose, but this is just my opinion..the ps3 shouldnt be ranked the lowest of the new systems, at least the top 3...

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Not to sound like an asshole but I think "currently", the PSP is number one. With the 16 GB memstick, suddenly all my friends suddenly are getting a PSP. Plus with the top game sellers for the PSP, God of War: Chains of olympus, FF7 Crisis Core, and who can resist the beat of Patapon.

Then with the Nintendo Wii in a really really really tight second, I didn't meet one prson who thinks SSBB is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscyco30 View Post
    Not to sound like an asshole but I think "currently", the PSP is number one. With the 16 GB memstick, suddenly all my friends suddenly are getting a PSP. Plus with the top game sellers for the PSP, God of War: Chains of olympus, FF7 Crisis Core, and who can resist the beat of Patapon.

Then with the Nintendo Wii in a really really really tight second, I didn't meet one prson who thinks SSBB is boring.

i think Brawl isnt the attractive to me, i mean dont get me wrong, but to me its like Mario & Sonic olympics...but its just my opinion, the best game on the wii is Mario Galaxy (and i hate mario, but this rocks!)

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    i think Brawl isnt the attractive to me, i mean dont get me wrong, but to me its like Mario & Sonic olympics...but its just my opinion, the best game on the wii is Mario Galaxy (and i hate mario, but this rocks!)
    The only reason you said that is because you never played it .

jk, still it's a great game to play when you're bored, or hyped up.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I must comment on your statement that ps3 dont sell well.
    The ps3 hit 1 million sales earlier in its like than the 360 did. Look it up, its a fact.
    It has also been selling just as well as the ps2 did at launch.

The funny thing is, though, the ps3 hit 1 million earlier in its life than the 360, but the 360 had a full year with no competition.

I'll judge a game before i play it. I know for a fact that MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, and God of War 3 are going to kick ass. Why? Because those games have never let me down yet and only manage to get better and better with each iteration.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker matrixsucks's Avatar
    I'm going to start off my comment with my experiance in this generation of hardware: I only own a Wii and one game, Super Smash Bros Brawl. Last generation I only owned a PS2, and in the handheld market I've owned the PSP and the DS.

I think your major pitfall, as with everyone's opinion in the subject matter, with the 360 is that its biggest strength (if not only strength) is FPS online.

Why would I buy a 360 to play a FPS when I have a computer laying in my room that can play all of the important FPSs (Halo 3 will come soon enough, mark my words) with a better internet? For me, the 360 is a bunch of garbage packed in a nice little box. Building a console around FPS is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard of, from a gamers point of view. FPS plays like shit on controllers (I've played my share on the PS2 and my bro's Xbox) when compared to the precision of a mouse and keyboard. There is more ability to mod the games to make custom maps.

I would continue, but I'm tired....so this post is going to seem half-assed and not done (simply because it is). I'm working tomorrow, so hopefully I'll add some afterwards.
    Today has been the most beautiful day I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscyco30 View Post
    The only reason you said that is because you never played it .

jk, still it's a great game to play when you're bored, or hyped up.
    and i played it too, because we had a game day in my computer class, and some guy brought in his wii, so we had a brawl tourney, but i just couldnt get into it, so i tried playing it at gamestop, still no luck...so the wii isnt for me

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by matrixsucks View Post
    I'm going to start off my comment with my experiance in this generation of hardware: I only own a Wii and one game, Super Smash Bros Brawl. Last generation I only owned a PS2, and in the handheld market I've owned the PSP and the DS.

I think your major pitfall, as with everyone's opinion in the subject matter, with the 360 is that its biggest strength (if not only strength) is FPS online.

Why would I buy a 360 to play a FPS when I have a computer laying in my room that can play all of the important FPSs (Halo 3 will come soon enough, mark my words) with a better internet? For me, the 360 is a bunch of garbage packed in a nice little box. Building a console around FPS is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard of, from a gamers point of view. FPS plays like shit on controllers (I've played my share on the PS2 and my bro's Xbox) when compared to the precision of a mouse and keyboard. There is more ability to mod the games to make custom maps.

I would continue, but I'm tired....so this post is going to seem half-assed and not done (simply because it is). I'm working tomorrow, so hopefully I'll add some afterwards.
    Ill respond to this in sections:
    First off, yes, xbox was designed around the idea of the best first person shooter experience. but it has grown up quite a bit since then and offers a bit of diversity. Secondly, obviously your feelings arnt shared by the gaming commun, since xbox is a leading competitor in this market. a controller is perfectly capible of playing any game with the same accuracy as a keyboard and mouse, if you take the time to use them.

secondly, i left the PC out of my reviews for quite a few reasons: One, the pc has not origionally been designed as a gaming platform. though it has grown up quite a bit, most computer companies dont sell computers soley for the gaming experience. (there are a few expections.) also becuase it would be undeniable that with my cirtiera that it would have a near perfect score, since nearly every game system out there is turning into a quasi half computer anyway.

the last bit of your post was just flame, but thanks for your opinion.

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    I must comment on your statement that ps3 dont sell well.
    The ps3 hit 1 million sales earlier in its like than the 360 did. Look it up, its a fact.
    It has also been selling just as well as the ps2 did at launch.

The funny thing is, though, the ps3 hit 1 million earlier in its life than the 360, but the 360 had a full year with no competition.

I'll judge a game before i play it. I know for a fact that MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, and God of War 3 are going to kick ass. Why? Because those games have never let me down yet and only manage to get better and better with each iteration.
    Well, this seems to be some matter of debate, since ive started trying to do research, and i simply cant find a dry and cut number for how many of each system has been sold. (if you know anywhere that does, please tell me.)

secondly, again, i dont judge any game, console, near anything, before i try it myself unless its just bloody retarded. (like russian roulette or jumping off a building without a parachute.)

thirdly, this is a live forum and i hope to keep it alive with updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast