Thread: Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III *full review*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III *full review* 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Hercules's Avatar
    Now before you read this, if you don't like rap or Lil Wayne, then dont bother to comment. I really can't stand that. But if you feel you have something to comment on, then comment on the review. Thanks.

Now that I have that out the way, I should have done this a LONG time ago, but I need to listen to this multiple of times to really get it. And I am listening to it now as we speak. Truly, Lil Wayne has proven to be the "best rapper alive." Ever since the Tha Carter II, Wanye has delivered 100 (and I mean hundreds) of songs across various mixtapes. We have seen rappers rise and fall. Lil Wayne is not one of them. Selling more than 420,000 copies on the first day, proves something. Then to end the week with the title of your song (A Milli, for those who don't know) means that this is something worth getting. Not only to crack it in a week, but within a month to sell another million, making it 2x platinum shows people really like this guy. Me, personally, I downloaded this CD a week
    before it came out. I was disappointed in the taste of style. But after really listening to it over and over (and now), I realized that this CD is a work of hip-hop art.

Now to lay down track-by-track

1) 3 Peat - With an intro so promising, its really a good opener. From lines like "You can't get on my level/you need a space shuttle/or a ladder that's forever" are really something only Lil Wayne can come up with. His voice is crying over the beat in such a way that he wants you to keep listening.

2) Mr. Carter (feat. Jay-Z) - Looks like this a return favor from "Hello Brooklyn." With a name and song for ingeniously thought of, this track features two of the giants in the rap game today. If you don't get the name, it's Dwayne Carter (Wayne) & Sean Carter (Jay-Z). This track proves that Wanye is unselfish and respects other artists.

3) A Milli - Well, I am sure everyone heard this song. With a monterous beat, and a no-hook rap, it sits as one of those bass knockers. Not only those the beat masters other songs, but the verses also tops quality songs. Ranging from "We pop em like Orville Redenbacher" to "The bible told us every girl was sour/Don't play in her garden" it's really single to be heard for a very long time

4) Got Money (feat. T-Pain) - Maybe one of my least favorite songs on the album. Maybe Wayne and T-Pain sound too much a like. Like usual, every rapper has to brag on his money. I do admit, it has a catchy chorus, that can really get stuck in your head for a long time. I will say that at a club, this song is perfect a late-night event.

5) Comfrontable (feat. Babyface) - It may be me, but I thought this guy was dead. Just kidding, folks. Here we see a more sensitive side of Wayne, after all everyone one needs a break. Honestly, Wanye yells more than he raps. You can't complain because with a beat and chorus like that, it's hard to rap to. This song is good for setting the mood, or just something relaxing..with out the voice of Wayne.

6) Dr. Carter - Well, well. This is a mature track. He talks how he can save hip-hop's life (hence Nas's album Hip-Hop is Dead.) He talks about other rappers (Kayne West, Young Jeezy) and even quotes West. He tries three times to revive hip-hop, and like always, the third time is the charm. Well done, well done.

7) Phone Home - This has to be one of the most original songs that a rapper ever created. With the likeness of E.T., Wayne spits how "we are not the same, I am a martian." It's rather a song for bragging rights. Let's be honest, he can you compare to someone who is as crazy as this guy? This track shows the little kid in him.

8) Tie My Hands (featuring Robin Thicke) - So we meet again? Thicke has returned to do a song with Wayne. In this track, Wayne raps how the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is still in effect. He also talks how he thinks President Bush doesn't care: "my whole city under water, some people still floatin/and they wonder why black people still voting, cause your presidents still chokin." With a slick beat, and smooth chorus, this song is a rap song very close to R&B.

9) Mrs. Officer (feat. Bobby Valentino) - This song has to be another on of those funny, sexy songs. With Bobby moaning a siren over the beat, and Wayne backing it up with an experience with a lady cop, he delivers another hit for the ladies. This song is really something that can be played in a convertible on a hot, sunny day. This shows how much chemistry Wayne has with his collaborations.

10) Let the Beat Build - Just as the name implies, we have to build something before we can do it. Unfortunately, here is a boring track. Not because of the lyrics, but the way he makes us wait, for the beat to drop. It's just a lady yelling in the background. We have to wait 1 minute and 20 seconds just for a few more instruments. Then merely 2 minutes, for a real beat to kick in. I do give him credit on his creativity, as he "lets the beat build."

11) Shoot Me Down - After hearing this song for the first time, I'm like what is this guy talking about? Well listening to it countless times, I figured out that it's one of those "hate me or love me" songs. Calling out everyone who dislikes him, he is ready to take any challenges. The chorus moans in a way that can only mean something that is serious.

12) Lollipop (feat. Static Major) - With a catchy beat, and an even more catchy chorus, there is no wonder why this song was number one on the Billboards for four (4) straight weeks. Wayne show's his creative said again "so i let her lick the rapper/wrapper." Laughing through the song and giving crazy metaphors. He decides to take the Mike Jones approach and repeating himself a lot. But the way he does, is truly nice and funny at the same time. No doubt, this song helped sold this album.

13) La La (feat. Brisco & Busta Rhymes) - After hearing this song for the first time, I skipped it. But after listening to it, I noticed that this track is more of a freestyle than a song. Only Wayne could deliver something like "fuck we/I'm all about oui like Paris" Brisco (Wayne's protege) steps up to the plate with a monster verse. And to end it up, a surprised guest, Busta Rhymes delivers a killer-flow like usual.

14) Playing With Fire - Doing all the research I could do, I still cannot find the sample of this song. This song is one of those monster hits. With lines like "the bitch say I'm hot/I said no bitch I'm blazing" he clearly states he is a show-stopper. The chorus yells, giving him his "rock" side of the rapper's ego. This song is full of metaphors. One could only imagine why you wouldn't like this song.

15) You Ain't Got Nutin (feat. Juelz Satana & Fabolous) - Hearing this song twice made me realize, Wayne really didn't care or he couldn't match the first two verses. Fabolous & Juelz literally took over this track. As matter of fact, it was like Wayne was featured on the track. The beat is similar to something Fabolous could come up with, which is probably why his verse favors over the other two.

16) Dongetit - This has to be one of those tracks that you have to listen to it over and over. Just like the title, the first time around you just "don't get it." In each of his verses, Wayne talks about personal problems he had throughout his lifetime. He manages to find a slick sample to fit the song perfectly. His rhymes are somewhat debatable to what he means. Just like Lollipop, we have another double-line "But I know you don't understand/cause you thought lil wayne is weezy/But weezy is wayne." But we aren't finished here. Wayne goes on to talk about black people endind up in jail. (Again, we really can't understand it.) And to end it, he talks about, no wait, disrespects Al Sharpton.

Well there you have it folks. Tha Carter III review. Listening to it, makes me realize why this guy can make anything and put some sugar on top. After all, it was labeled "the most anticipated album of 2007/2008." Just pulling in 78mins worth of music in 16 tracks is quite impressive. I don't know if you are wondering if I brought this album, but yes I did. It is to me, worth the money. Like I said before, if you don't like Lil Wayne and/or rap, don't comment, but comment on the review.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Carter3 is amazing. ive listened to it over 100 times already. tie my hands is my favorite song....

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Been listening to a Milli alot, making up random rhymes in the shower . Lollipop is still hot, it's been on the billboard hot 100 for 19 weeks now.

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    lil waynes metaphors are nothing to be proud of. they are like 4th grade metaphors. u cant get on my level, u need a space shuttle, or a ladder that goes on forever. ya thats real intelligent right there.....
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Animetate's Avatar
    really?
    metaphors?
    this as well as every other album he's ever released is just straight garbage.
    i don't understand how someone who spews so much ignorance is so highly praised. I mean i've even tried listening to most of his songs to make sure my "opinion" was valid.......it is.

sometimes he can put words together in a sentence that don't even make sense together but sound good together and people eat it up!

sighhhh if you want real hiphop or rhymes, go listen to Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def, A Tribe Called Quest or go read a poetry book!
    GFX Artist - Attending Full Sail University [Month - 14]

Well thanks for the criticisim. But your opinions are just opinions, just like mine. You may say his albums are garbage, others may say its treasure. But the real fact is that he has the numbers to back it up. Like i can say all RPG are boring and they suck. But this is just my opinion. I can debate about this all day, but I will probably lose, because i cant back it up with FACTS. I dont know if this makes sense or not, but I tried, lol. Any who, I think the album is cool, maybe you should just listen to it over and over, like I had to.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker iedwardsIII's Avatar
    Hercules, I reference your guide all the guide to noobs and have a lot of respect for you but I just can't stand that you're saying lil wayne is good music. My girlfriend listens to him and whenever I try to change the station in the car she swats my hand away and I just can't handle it. Thanks carp for showing some people some of his masterful metaphors.

Wu-tang up, Lil' Wayne down.
    Firmware History:
    fat: OFW up to 3.30 - Lumines - 3.40 OE-A - 3.71 M33 - 3.80 M33 - 3.80 M33-5 - Stolen
    slim: OFW 3.60 - 3.60 M33 - 3.80 M33 - 3.80 M33-4 - 3.90 M33 - 3.90 M33-3 - Broke - 4.01 M33-2 - BRICKED - 5.00 M33-6

Important Links:
    OFW --> CFW Guide
    PSP Official Firmware Eboots
    PSP Battery Service Tool
    PSP Faceplates, Backplates, etc.
    What Everyone on this Site is

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    lil waynes metaphors are nothing to be proud of. they are like 4th grade metaphors. u cant get on my level, u need a space shuttle, or a ladder that goes on forever. ya thats real intelligent right there.....
    i like them, like this one.

I aint kinda hot I'ma sauna
    I sweat money and the bank is my shower
    haha, and that pistol is my towel
    ha, so stop sweatin me coward
    I get respect cause if i dont ima take it
    I see your boys hatin and I see your girls naked
    drum sound like a naked gun, switch clips with my thumb
    then I pop another clip in and aim at his vision
    cause Wayne is his vision cause Wayne is the mission
    I'm aimin at a mirror.

but wayne is just one of those artists you just love or hate, no in between. im not saying hes the best rapper alive but he is up there.

.......you're right hercules, when it comes down to it, these are all just opinions whether for or against him. but in my mind, i know good lyrics or for that matter good english when I hear it.

and Sullivan, yea the man knows how to link words together and make them sound good, still doesnt make them make anymore sense.

heres a good rap metaphor

A subtle silence
    Could demolish the troubled conscious
    Of a compass with no knowledge
    And every freedom denied
    Every dream is designed and broadcasted
    From the masters to the masses
    From the antennas on top of the trine
    As far as the receiving planet during a panic is shorted
    It reports back everything in your mind

o0o comparing lupe to wayne just inst fare. lol. lupe is just on his own level. he is a lyrical genius and why he is my favorite rapper. he should be doing Wayne sales, but instead the cool only goes gold.

streets on fire is a good song.

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    Well thanks for the criticisim. But your opinions are just opinions, just like mine. You may say his albums are garbage, others may say its treasure. But the real fact is that he has the numbers to back it up. Like i can say all RPG are boring and they suck. But this is just my opinion. I can debate about this all day, but I will probably lose, because i cant back it up with FACTS. I dont know if this makes sense or not, but I tried, lol. Any who, I think the album is cool, maybe you should just listen to it over and over, like I had to.
    ya and i have a right to my opinion too, and i think your opinion sucks.

sully (i prefer sully cuz it reminds me of Monster Inc.) the second stanza from wayne has no metaphors, only rhymes. and the first stanza is 4th grade metaphors.

heres some GREAT lyrics from wayne.

"I can mingle with the stars & throw a party on Mars
    I am a prisoner locked up behind Xanax bars
    I have just boarded a plane without a pilot
    And violets are blue,
    Roses are red
    Daisies are yellow,
    The flowers are dead "

roses are red, violets are blue......when did u learn that?
    2nd grade.
    well fuck mingling with stars and throwing a party on mars...
    who else could possibly think of that rhyme?
    i know i sure couldnt....

"A millionaire, I'm a young money millionaire
    Tougher than nigerian hair
    My criteria compared to your career this isn't fair
    I'm a venereal disease like menstrual, bleed
    Through the pencil and leak on the sheet of the tablet"

fuck! a mili probably has the best metaphor in the world.
    "im a venereal disease like menstrual, bleed."
    ya.....another great one.

and you got to love singing in fictional character.

"I, knock on the door, hope isn't home
    Fate's not around the lucks all gone
    Don't ask me what's wrong ask me what's right
    And I'ma tell you what's life, and did you know?
    I lost everything, but I ain't the only the one
    First came the hurricane, then the morning sun"

no millionaire doesnt have hope at their home, not is fate not around or luck gone.

lil wayne is a fool.

OMG LOOK AT THIS! MILEY CYRUS IS THE #1 SELLING ARTIST THIS WEEK!
    SHE MUST BE THE BEST IN HER GENRE TOO!
    fuck if lil wayne cant sell more than Miley Cyrus, thats pathetic.

Week Ending July 27, 2008: Miley's Young, But She's Not The Youngest - Chart Watch
    Last edited by carp; 07-31-2008 at 03:47 AM.
    I'm a fag.

glad to see someone else appreciates Lupe Fiasco sullivan.
    lmao and yea its kinda not fair to compare the two cause lupes lyrics...................................make sense.

and the fact that lupe will never sell like lil wayne does proves that there are just a lot more ignorant people out there than originally thought.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker iedwardsIII's Avatar
    Jesus christ, I love this thread.
    Firmware History:
    fat: OFW up to 3.30 - Lumines - 3.40 OE-A - 3.71 M33 - 3.80 M33 - 3.80 M33-5 - Stolen
    slim: OFW 3.60 - 3.60 M33 - 3.80 M33 - 3.80 M33-4 - 3.90 M33 - 3.90 M33-3 - Broke - 4.01 M33-2 - BRICKED - 5.00 M33-6

Important Links:
    OFW --> CFW Guide
    PSP Official Firmware Eboots
    PSP Battery Service Tool
    PSP Faceplates, Backplates, etc.
    What Everyone on this Site is

wayne's metaphor does make sense..obviously you dont get them..and no you cant compare lil wayne to lupe, because lupe has the same style as common, mos def, a tribe called quest, wu-tang, and all the other new york rappers...people like lil wayne because its something different..it the shift of a new generation, its like going from tapes, to cds to ipods, its gonna change...dont get me wrong i grew up dre, snoop, ice cube, tupac, biggie, big daddy kane, the list goes, so i know my history..but times have changed..but thanks for the comments

lmao times have changed?
    lupe isn't some obscure old rapper you hear like 30 year olds reminiscing about, he's here now. and yea I understand lil waynes metaphors fully, but that still does not make them either complex or sensible.

sorry, cant endorse someone that promotes violence, and is addicted to cough syrup. and hercules Lupe and Common aren't from new york......

and they all have different styles of flowing but the thing they share is that their lyrics are intelligent and they don't promote stupidity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast