Senior Member I Modded My PSP itzzspencer's Avatar
    never heard of anyone saying duck tape

FW history: 3.95 -> 3.71 m33 -> 3.80 m33 -> 3.90M33-4 -> 4.01M33-2

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Switchblades's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscyco30 View Post
    Duct Tape .

This thread is retarded, just saying.
    Duct tape

I second that, this thread poses no meaning whatsoever.

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itzzspencer View Post
    never heard of anyone saying duck tape
    Duck tape is that White, almost kinda barely Translucent tape.

Why am I still posting in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscyco30 View Post
    Duck tape is that White, almost kinda barely Translucent tape.

Why am I still posting in this thread?
    Because Jesus wants you to.

I never even knew that Duck Tape was an actual object. I was told that it was the webbing between the feet of the duck.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    The origin of the term "duct tape" is the subject of some disagreement.

One view[13][14] is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers because it was made from cotton duck, from which their tents, tarpaulins, ponchos and other equipment were made. The word "duck" was commonly used for camping equipment fabrics until synthetics replaced cotton. Some suggest that the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house, where tents were forgotten and ductwork needed sealing, not ammunition cases. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive version. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape." This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March of 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 ad for surplus government property.[15]

The other view is that "duct tape" is the original term, since there are many documented uses of that term which pre-date all documented uses of the term "duck tape" for the adhesive-backed product, and that there is no written evidence supporting the WWII story.[16] Some proponents of this view accept the idea that there was an earlier non-adhesive "duck tape", but claim that people have just confused the similar pronunciation of two similar but unrelated products through the process of elision, and that the rest of the "duck" etymology is folklore or fabrication. This view was summarized most notably in a Boston Globe article by etymologist Jan Freeman, also in March of 2003.

In any case, whether it is an error or a preservation of the original usage, the term "duck tape" is sometimes used for the product today

Oh wait, my description is wrong, I was describing masking tape .

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjjjj View Post
    The origin of the term "duct tape" is the subject of some disagreement.

One view[13][14] is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers because it was made from cotton duck, from which their tents, tarpaulins, ponchos and other equipment were made. The word "duck" was commonly used for camping equipment fabrics until synthetics replaced cotton. Some suggest that the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house, where tents were forgotten and ductwork needed sealing, not ammunition cases. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive version. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape." This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March of 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 ad for surplus government property.[15]

The other view is that "duct tape" is the original term, since there are many documented uses of that term which pre-date all documented uses of the term "duck tape" for the adhesive-backed product, and that there is no written evidence supporting the WWII story.[16] Some proponents of this view accept the idea that there was an earlier non-adhesive "duck tape", but claim that people have just confused the similar pronunciation of two similar but unrelated products through the process of elision, and that the rest of the "duck" etymology is folklore or fabrication. This view was summarized most notably in a Boston Globe article by etymologist Jan Freeman, also in March of 2003.

In any case, whether it is an error or a preservation of the original usage, the term "duck tape" is sometimes used for the product today
    I am awestruck at your wikipedia skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblades View Post
    I am awestruck at your wikipedia skills.
    I'm not :/.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Scotch Tape

End of.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Quote Originally Posted by john_kydd View Post
    wasn't thinking straight, it should always be referred to as the handyman's secret weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    Scotch Tape

End of.
    I wonder why....

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    Scotch Tape

End of.
    Scotch rapes ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast