Thread: Internet Suicide: Who is responsible?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Internet Suicide: Who is responsible? 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    I was reading the latest G4 news and I found this rather interesting. Internet Suicide, its nothing new, but all too tragic. When looking at different articles its funny how the parents and family members blame the creators and viewers of websites for the person's death. This is an example:

19-Year Old Broadcasts His Suicide Live On Justin.tv - G4tv.com

19-Year Old Broadcasts His Suicide Live On Justin.tv Posted by Sinden Lee - Friday, November 21, 2008 9:50 AM

A 19-year old man has needlessly committed suicide while broadcasting himself on the Internet.

Abraham K. Biggs allegedly was goaded and mocked by commentators on Justin.tv, a streaming video site, as he overdosed on pills while on camera. He was on air, breathing for hours, until viewers notified police.

The video continued until police and EMT entered and blocked the camera.

Mr. Bigg's death has been confirmed with the Broward County medical examiner in Florida.

Justin.tv's CEO, Michael Seibel said, "As for the broadcaster incident last night, we don’t comment on individual videos, however, our policy prohibits inappropriate content on Justin.tv. We rely on the community to flag videos that they feel are objectionable. Once a video is flagged, it is reviewed and quickly removed from the system if it violates our Terms of Use."

The deceased had previously posted a suicide note. There's also R.I.P. comments on Mr. Biggs' MySpace page.

This isn't the first known account where an Internet suicide has ocurred. Last year, a British man hung himself after he was allegedly goaded by users on Paltalk. A movie was released earlier this year on the topic of live-streamed killings called Untraceable.

Justin.tv has gotten itself in hot water with another aspect of live broadcast, and that's copyright infringement. It appears the Premier League may be threatening legal action against them over unauthorized broadcasts of soccer games.

Justin.tv says they do takedown requests according to the law. Unfortunately, with live broadcasts, sometimes they're taken down a little too late.
    Source

This was the first incident. Now the father speaks out.

G4 - The Feed
    Father Of Justin.TV Suicide Victim Speaks
    Posted by Raymond Padilla - Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:54 PM

Abraham Briggs, Sr., the father of the 19-year old man that committed suicide and broadcasted it on Justin.tv, has called for better Internet regulation in the wake of his son's death. According to The Celebrity Cafe, Briggs said:
    "I think after this incident and probably other incidents that have occurred in the past, they all point to some kind of regulation is necessary. I think it is wrong to have this happen for hours without any action being taken from the people in charge. Where were they all the time?"
    While it's a terrible tragedy to lose a son and Briggs is obviously mourning, he also doesn't know what he's talking about. People are, unfortunately, going to use this tragedy to try to over-regulate the Internet and change its open nature. Personally, I don't think the Internet or Justin.tv is to blame. I understand that the father is shocked and trying to cope with his loss, but I believe he's wrong in blaming the web site and not accepting that his son was responsible for his own actions. What do you guys think?

Source
    Who do you think is responsible for the person's death when an internet suicide happens? Just an interesting debate that is hard to explain.

As for myself I believe the suicide victim themselves are responsible. It was their choice to take their lives, no one else's, and when it comes down to it it was their choice to take their own life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondria View Post
    Yeah, i read all about this on yahoo.ca Wish i could of watched it. It would of given me something to look at, but im sure theres a video on youtube.
    Any comment on the debate itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondria View Post
    Not really. Its the victims fault. Then again with all the peer pressure going around these days it could be the viewers faults as well. The site cant really be held responsible for anything that this kid has done since they didnt know about it in time....All in all, it was all his fault. No one forced him to commit suicide or anything. He just took the easy way out of life.
    Yeah I feel the same way. They have so many videos to monitor and updates to do. How are they going to notice a video if someone doesn't report it?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    Heh. The guy was an idiot for taking his life. On camera? He probably wanted the fame.
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMB3Rs View Post
    Heh. The guy was an idiot for taking his life. On camera? He probably wanted the fame.
    Too bad he couldn't enjoy it.

If anyone can find the video, please post it.
    Last edited by Chriscyco30; 11-24-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    It's his fault.

No matter what anyone bitches about, he took the pills, he od'd, it's his fault.

I'm not sorry for him either, he wanted to be dead, it's a shame to see this, but, he wanted it.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Internet Suicide: Who cares?

Funny - yes.
    Noteworthy - no.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    Internet Suicide: Who cares?

Funny - yes.
    Noteworthy - no.
    for the mother effin win.
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker DumpsterDiver's Avatar
    Who is responsible? His parents for not beating his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by DumpsterDiver View Post
    for what?
    killing himself?
    that makes sense hahahha
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DumpsterDiver View Post
    Yeah, let's beat the depressed bi-polar son until he's normal.

I fucking hate you.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Fayko's Avatar
    this is almost as pathetic as the kid who ran away and died at the age of 15 because his daddy took xbox away....Anyone who would kill themselves over something so stupid as being insults over the internets deserves death Anyone who runs away because of the lose of a video game deserves death. Think of this as i think the saying goes only the strong will survive?

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker KOBEdidit's Avatar
    my opinion isn't any different then any of yours except that you're all fucking idiots.

there's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by KOBEdidit View Post
    my opinion isn't any different then any of yours except that you're all fucking idiots.
    arent u a bad ass.
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker cstanleyf9's Avatar
    Wtf Is This Doing In Debate???
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonslash View Post
    Found a setting that makes Donkey Kong Country work fullspeed with NO frameskip!

Go to Hack/Debug Menu, then turn ON Ignore palette writes.

This makes it work 100% from what I can tell on a game that laged a lot before so. I have no tried this on other games yet.
    list of error codes for the psp and what they mean

I can't be living anymore
    somebody please kill me
    I really want to die
    as much as I wish to die,
    I will always make sure to keep myself alive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast