Thread: Layoffs for Sony

1. #1 Layoffs for Sony 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    My parents have been going on about how technology like video games, TVs, and all that other stuff is recession proof since its in such high demand. I told them it was bullshit; the less money people have to spend the less they spend on stuff like that. Less money parents hand out to their kids for x-mas and other holidays.

Anyway, this QJ news thread: The axe will fall: Sony to lay off 16,000, PlayStation group under review - PlayStation Portable News - PSP Updates caught my interests. Seems like everyone is getting affected this year.

The axe will fall: Sony to lay off 16,000, PlayStation group under review

Posted Dec 09, 2008 at 07:56AM by Isaac C. Listed in: News Tags: Christmas, Sony Ó
    35 QJ
    We are finally seeing the first real effects of Sony's financial downturn.

Last October, they announced a 57% slash on their earnings for this fiscal year. Now, they've announced that they will be axing 16,000 jobs as part of their effort to improve their finances.

Around 8,000 of this number will be full-time workers - that's about 5% of their workforce. The other half will include seasonal and temporary workers. The big axe will fall by April 2010.

Aside from the layoffs, Sony will also be moving away from unprofitable businesses by March 2010. The PlayStation group is currently under review for structural changes as well, though it was not specified just how much they will be affected. Previous statements from Sony suggest it won't be affected much, though who can really tell?

Sony Computer Entertainment released this statement:

In order to stay competitive in the accelerating global network environment, we will always carefully review and make structural changes, if necessary, in order to further expand and strengthen the PlayStation business around the world

Christmas is looking bleak this year.

Related Articles:

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    well the reason older folks like to say its recession proof is because people buy video games and shit on impulse. the main demographic is teenagers or young adults and at that age, most of them dont have to many other bills to pay so they can spend money on games. but the industy is definitely not recession proof, there isnt anything that is.
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    well the reason older folks like to say its recession proof is because people buy video games and shit on impulse. the main demographic is teenagers or young adults and at that age, most of them dont have to many other bills to pay so they can spend money on games. but the industy is definitely not recession proof, there isnt anything that is.
    Yeah I understand that one, plus they don't do research either. My grandfather (ugg) believes that "this new technology of cell phones and video games" is ruining social life and ending face to face contact completely. You have to get off your ass sometime to get technology.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Fayko's Avatar
    wow 16k jobs sucks to be one of them lol... i think we all knew this was coming for sony

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    This isn't really a surprise. The economy is in the toilet and many, many companies are doing mass layoffs. Pretty sad time
    PSN: Lasraik
    PC/Console Gamer Community Forum:
    http://www.perforateartery.com/forum

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Darkthunder90's Avatar
    They probably are just doing this as a risk prevention system. I mean they are taking a big risk with the PS3 with it costing them money rather than them actually making money.