Thread: best RPG's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1 best RPG's 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker cstanleyf9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    581
    I know it's been done before but I'm asking this question in a different way. because I could never ever in my life say what my favorite RPG was. I'd have to break it up into subcatagories.

    so my question is what is your favorite RPG based off of:

    Replayability (even though you mastered it you still find yourself enjoying it fresh from the beginning again)

    overall first time experience (as in the first time you played it through, it blew you away but after beating it may not have stayed as high up as you thought when it was new)

    emotional touch (the game actualy made you feel emotions for a charactor in a pixleated world that isn't real)

    and the last catagorying being thinking. (as in the game that you might have enjoyed because it made you think about stuff you already know a bit differently, not really changing your mind and beliefs. but just giving you a nice difference of view)

    okay here are my top RPG's

    Replayability:Chrono Trigger.

    it doesn't matter how many times I play this game. I can start it over new and start it as new game+... doesn't matter I will still get the same ammount of enjoyment out of it. it's never ending joy for me. but it's a simple joy, and because of that it is only for replayability.

    overall first time experience: Earthbound

    it was just a damn good game, really exciting, and funny to boot. but after playing it and knowing where everything is and how everything happens. it losses me for anything else. keeping it ONLY in the overall first time experience

    emotional touch: Final Fantasy 8, and 7 (yes in that order)

    both games have their touching moments. I put 8 above 7, because it's just put together a lot better. and it has a lot more touching moments. 7 only has that moment where sephiroth Kills that one cetra chick. and speaking of sephiroth, did anyone here know that his name means tree of life. or... making up of god. that's a pretty cool name if you ask me

    thinking:Chrono Cross

    although I hate to think of this game as a sequel to Chrono Trigger. I can't deny how great of a game this game is. it is a fantastic game and once you get really deep into the story. you find yourself wondering if the makers of the games interviewed a bunch of philosophers. because a lot of it is fantstic on a level that makes you think. A lot of people put this game down because it's a sequal to Chrono Trigger. with no characters from Chrono Trigger other than schala who was fused together with Lavos. so I guess lavos made a comeback too. and I'm not sure if those Crono, Marle and Lucca were really them or just representations of them. it's hardly a sequel, and yet at the same time. it is entirely a sequel.

    because everything that happens in the game is because of the Chrono Trigger in 12000 B.C. Zeal when Lavos tore the holes in time and launched the Gurus, Schala and Janus(magus) where ever. and although Crono and the gang had no part in this happening (even if they didn't go back intime. It still happened) you still needed that back story from Chrono Trigger to be there. and yes I know that Guile, was originaly supposed to be Gil, who was Magus under cover on the BS satelite game called Radical Dreamers(true sequal to Chrono Trigger). but they couldn't make his story line connect well enough, so they made him look a bit gayer, and lightened up the hues on his costume to make him look nothing like Magus.

    Chrono Cross is a good stand alone game that can't stand alone because it's entire plot is based off of Chrono trigger. but you could play Chrono Cross without playing Chrono Trigger and still enjoy it to the max. maybe even enjoy it more because you're not thinking of it as a sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonslash View Post
    Found a setting that makes Donkey Kong Country work fullspeed with NO frameskip!

    Go to Hack/Debug Menu, then turn ON Ignore palette writes.

    This makes it work 100% from what I can tell on a game that laged a lot before so. I have no tried this on other games yet.
    list of error codes for the psp and what they mean

    I can't be living anymore
    somebody please kill me
    I really want to die
    as much as I wish to die,
    I will always make sure to keep myself alive
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,315
    Can't be arsed to go into detail, but my favourite RPGS are:

    Suikoden II
    Final Fantasy VIII and X
    Lost Odyysey

    I only really like the class JRPG turn based RPG's, not the real time battle type, i hated FFXII when i got it, really didn't like it at all. It doesn't feel like an RPG that i know and love.

    I also never really like FF7, much preferred 8.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Darkthunder90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    872
    I perfer Final Fantasy VII.

    I can't say anything about Final Fantasy VIII because I made it like 35% through and I stopped playing. I do not like the fact that the leveling up thing is backwards though. It is a little confusing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker cstanleyf9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    581
    it's not backwards. just more or less useless. see when you level up. so do the bad guys, making it so you can absorb stronger magic from them. magic put too every attribute on you makes you strong on that game. in other words you try to suck out all the spells you can.

    say I suck out Blizzaga, I put that on my strenght. not much happens, now lets say I'm maxed out on blizzaga, now my strenght is almost up by a complete 100.

    the games actualy easier in a way if you try not to level up at all. making it so the badguys are weaker.

    a true stratigist would just suck up all the magic till he's maxed from each battle. although it would take for ever to get maxed out each type of magic from each battle you find the magic in. it would help you get stronger. but then again, you'd need to level up a little so that your GF's can get some AP and get stronger. because when they get stronger. you get stronger.

    this game is impossible to beat without the GF's or Magic. even if you don't use a spell the entire game. you still need them.

    EDIT: I still haven't played Lost Odyysey, what is it that is good about this game. story? I've been trying to get into the RPG realm again, but it seems the golden days of RPG's started with the NES and ended with the PS1, I think good graphics destroyed great story.

    and yes FFXII was douche, for a final fantasy title. but I just made myself forget it was Final Fantasy and told myself it was called Desert Job Runner, and I was able to enjoy it for what it was. although the game play was hideous in itself. it did have a somewhat nice story for a job based RPG.
    Last edited by cstanleyf9; 12-20-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonslash View Post
    Found a setting that makes Donkey Kong Country work fullspeed with NO frameskip!

    Go to Hack/Debug Menu, then turn ON Ignore palette writes.

    This makes it work 100% from what I can tell on a game that laged a lot before so. I have no tried this on other games yet.
    list of error codes for the psp and what they mean

    I can't be living anymore
    somebody please kill me
    I really want to die
    as much as I wish to die,
    I will always make sure to keep myself alive
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,315
    Yeah the story of LO is really good, and so is the gameplay. It really is just like FF7/8 style in terms of gameplay. I put around 80-90 hours into it, very enjoyable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Desert Elite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    215
    I feel bad saying this but Im hooked on the Kingdom Hearts series I love it!!!

    The only Final Fantasy I like is FF7 Crisis Core...I never played the PS1 FF7 maby Ill try it some other time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Darkthunder90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Elite View Post
    I feel bad saying this but Im hooked on the Kingdom Hearts series I love it!!!

    The only Final Fantasy I like is FF7 Crisis Core...I never played the PS1 FF7 maby Ill try it some other time.
    Hey I loved kingdom hearts. I just haven't played the second game yet. I want to, but I don't think that I will like it though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Desert Elite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    215
    I liked the second one better than the first one but KH2 is a tad easier.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker cstanleyf9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Elite View Post
    I feel bad saying this but Im hooked on the Kingdom Hearts series I love it!!!

    The only Final Fantasy I like is FF7 Crisis Core...I never played the PS1 FF7 maby Ill try it some other time.
    one should never say they feel bad for loving it. I have Kingdom hearts, KH Chains of Memories, and KH 2. I still haven't played KH 2, but I still own it I smashed my ps2 before I got the chance to play it. same with God Of War 2 I can't play that either oh well. but yeah. nobody should ever be ashamed for their love for kingdom hearts it's a damn good game. and if you like finanl fantasy 7 and 8... it's even more magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonslash View Post
    Found a setting that makes Donkey Kong Country work fullspeed with NO frameskip!

    Go to Hack/Debug Menu, then turn ON Ignore palette writes.

    This makes it work 100% from what I can tell on a game that laged a lot before so. I have no tried this on other games yet.
    list of error codes for the psp and what they mean

    I can't be living anymore
    somebody please kill me
    I really want to die
    as much as I wish to die,
    I will always make sure to keep myself alive
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,315
    I played the first one, but i just never got into it, didn't like the style of gameplay. The fact it was disney characters didn't really bother me, and all those FF characters turning up was cool.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Desert Elite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    215
    One reason liked it was the combos and all the spinning,twirling,teleporting and flying attacks it was very fast paced.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,315
    I can't remember it in detail, but weren't most of the enemys just like black ghost things? I don't think i liked that, or the battle system.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Desert Elite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    215
    yeah just black ghostly things but fighting the disney bosses was kinda cool.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker cstanleyf9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    581
    Killer, this is just an assumption. you don't like RPG games like Secret of Mana, or Secret of Evermore. or any ARPG. it's understandable. it gets really repeditive with attacking over and over again. but at the same time... I feel it gives you more freedom. to not have randomly popping up badguys. to have presets that you can dodge... kind of like on chrono trigger or earthbound. although the battles are turn based. the bad guys are preset... well it's kind of preset on earthbound kind or random. hard to explain unless you played the game.

    having preset badguys make it easier to beat the game on low levels. you can just dodge all the ones you don't have to fight. that's what I'm doing right now on Chrono Trigger...


    you say you like JRPG's makes me wonder if you like the most popular JRPG serries. (the Tales serries like Tales of Destiny) because these fight in live action. and the 3D ones made it even more action. and less like street fighter.

    I love all the tales games. I still think the best is the Original Japanese only snes version of Tales of Phantasia. I say this because I think they messed up all the remakes. even the ps1 english remake sucks compared to the original japanese version for the SNES. thank god for pirating hand hackers with the pation of translating games for people of other languages.

    EDIT: all though I beat the game without knowing the story because I beat it before it was ever translated
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonslash View Post
    Found a setting that makes Donkey Kong Country work fullspeed with NO frameskip!

    Go to Hack/Debug Menu, then turn ON Ignore palette writes.

    This makes it work 100% from what I can tell on a game that laged a lot before so. I have no tried this on other games yet.
    list of error codes for the psp and what they mean

    I can't be living anymore
    somebody please kill me
    I really want to die
    as much as I wish to die,
    I will always make sure to keep myself alive
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,315
    Yeah i think what it is, is that i'm used to RPGs being Turn based. That's what i've grown up to know an RPG to be, so whenever i see/play one that isn't turn based, it doesn't feel like i'm playing an RPG because it's not what i expect it to be, if that makes any sense at all. It just feels like an action game or something.

    Obviously they've got all the story/RPG aspects in between, but yeah, that main aspect of battles just isn't what i'm expecting.

    I've tried to get into many, many non-turn based RPGs but i can't think of any that i've really liked. Are any worth my time on the 360? The only one i have is Lost Oddysey, and i've played demos of a few others, can't remember which but i don't think i liked them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What RPG's to buy?
    By RojerLockless in forum PSP Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
  2. RPG's
    By Lone_Nite in forum PSP Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •