Thread: The end of the Need For Speed and Skate series

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The end of the Need For Speed and Skate series 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Darkthunder90's Avatar
    Confirmed: Electronic Arts closes Need for Speed studio - Xbox 360 News - QJ.NET

Rumors of Electronic Arts cutting the Need for Speed series is looking confirmed.

A press release from the publisher officially announced that they will be closing the studio EA Black Box, home to the Need for Speed and Skate franchises.

Shutting down the studio is part of EA's restructuring plan that hopes to save them US$ 120 million in annual costs. Part of the plan is to reduce their overall workforce by 10%, or 1,000 people.

The press release also stated that Black Box is only one of at least nine studios and publishing locations that will be either consolidated or shut down. This means we can expect a lot more of EA's franchises to be in danger of being axed. I'm crossing my fingers that BioWare and Maxis won't be affected.

Now this is not official confirmation that EA is abandoning the Need for Speed franchise, but it's not looking good. Better to just look forward to Gran Turismo 5. We may not see it for a while, but at least we know it's coming

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    Need For Speed was dieing anyways, too bad the series got cut off though.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Yeah the NFS games have been shit for years now, they're all the same.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Darkthunder90's Avatar
    My brother still likes these kinds of games so I know he will hate seeing them going.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthunder90 View Post
    My brother still likes these kinds of games so I know he will hate seeing them going.
    Without trying to offend, i think the only people these games appeal to are young kids who are into that whole modded car max power kinda thing. I love driving/racing games but as soon as NFS became how it is now i wasn't interested.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP psp23's Avatar
    I think the racing genre is saturated now, and I don't see how much more innovative racing games can get while satisfying people.

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    I think the last good NFS game was Most Wanted, after that they sucked.
    I did like Skate, it really was the best skateboarding game out there.
    Tony Hawk can suck my dick before I play his games again.
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    never played skate, but the end of NFS? that was a surprise.

The racing genre just hit a wall (pun intended).
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Quote Originally Posted by psp23 View Post
    I think the racing genre is saturated now, and I don't see how much more innovative racing games can get while satisfying people.
    I think realistic racing is the only popular form now, Gran Turismo, Forza, maybe the slightly arcadier PGR and Codemasters games like Dirt and Grid.

I still love racing games and they're still the games i buy the most. I don't really see how it's any different from say FPS. Are any of those really innovative?

Quote Originally Posted by killer3737 View Post
    I think realistic racing is the only popular form now, Gran Turismo, Forza, maybe the slightly arcadier PGR and Codemasters games like Dirt and Grid.

I still love racing games and they're still the games i buy the most. I don't really see how it's any different from say FPS. Are any of those really innovative?
    The innovative quality in an FPS, for me, is based largely on the story and characters. In a racing game, what more innovation can you have other than realistic physics/ graphics or some aracadey innovation?

The innovative quality in an FPS, for me, is based largely on the story and characters. In a racing game, what more innovation can you have other than realistic physics/ graphics or some aracadey innovation?
    True i see your point, but the gameplay is still the same run-duck-shoot-crouch-climb-shoot-run action.

I am biased as i love any form of racing, real or virtual, so i do enjoy pretty much any racing game so long as it has some realism and fun factor. I guess thats all it is really, what you enjoy doing in games. I'm happy to drive 20 laps of the same track to try and get a fastest time, whereas others are happy mindlessly blasting enemys all through a game. We're all different, and that's what sells so many different games.

I'm not sure what my point was there, but yeah.

I also really like racing games, and have been playing them since NFS II SE. But now, games in general have started to become slightly boring (for me), including FPS games.

I also really like racing games, and have been playing them since NFS II SE. But now, games in general have started to become slightly boring (for me), including FPS games.
    Yeah i know what you mean, gmaes developers really need to get innovative. It's all very well making the games all shiny and beautiful, but under the skin they're all still basically the same, and we all know it's not graphics that makes a game, it's innovative, fresh gameplay. Hence why Super Metroid is still one of my all time favourite games.

People keep saying Little Big Planet is something amazing and new, but i really don't get it. Even if you don't like them, i think the last truly innovative game/s were the guitar hero games. Also some of the Wii games are really fresh and new, thanks to the control systems.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker DumpsterDiver's Avatar
    NFS underground 2 was the only one I can say I liked.
    And I loved to glitch in that game.

Skate is awesome, though. You have to flick the sticks just like you would your feet, so it's realistic-ish.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    ...My bro will cry if he sees this. He loves that series. Geez...That is sad. Cut down my brother's favorite series. I liked the games too, but not as much as he does now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast