Thread: Zune 30 Midnight Meltdown.

1. #1 Zune 30 Midnight Meltdown. 
    ♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    Well I went to go turn on my Zune 30gb to listen to Swing My Door by Gucci Mane, and it just froze when the loading bar was done loading. I left it on for about 3 hours and then it finally died. So I started playing MHP2G with my brother and then I went to check my email account, and look what i found here. Just about everyone on the whole freakin planets Zune 30gbs are doing the same thing. Pretty fucking gay, especially since there was no update or anything involved. Heres the Yahoo article.

'Zune 30 Midnight Meltdown' Angers Music Lovers (NewsFactor) by NewsFactor: Yahoo! Tech

While the rumor mill is focused on Apple developing a larger-screen iPod touch, the blogosphere is churning with angry reports about frozen 30GB Microsoft Zunes.

Discussions board like ZuneUser.com, ZuneScene.com and Zune.net offer first-hand accounts of the problems with Microsoft's music player. It seems the Zunes reboot, then freeze once the status bar reaches 100 percent.

Some are calling it the "Z2K" problem, playing off the infamous Y2K bug that many thought would throw the computing industry in chaos at the beginning of the century when dates changed from 1999 to 2000. That's because the problem seems to have started at exactly midnight PST Wednesday -- the first moments of the last day of 2008.

A Fix That Fails

Microsoft wasn't immediately available for comment on what observers are calling the Zune 30 Midnight Meltdown. But the forums are ablaze with complaints and demands for updates from Microsoft.

"I had my Zune docked on its iHome ZN9, charging, and all the sudden I hear it start whirring as I'm sitting here at the laptop. I looked up just in time to see it restarting itself at exactly 12:00 midnight, watched the loading bar, and then the freeze. Great. WHAT is going on!?" VS Venom Shot wrote on the Zune.net forum.

Meanwhile, a Zune.net user named Dmodegirl claims to have solved the problem. She said the Zune needs a "hard reset" and suggested using a small screwdriver to pop off the plastic shielding where the Zune cable plugs in and remove the two screws on either side of the plug.

"Pop the cover off and locate the battery plug at the top left corner of the Zune. Using your screwdriver, pop the cable connection halfway off, and do this to the other plug on the right side," she wrote. "Wait three seconds, then push down the right connector and then the left battery connector. Your Zune should start up immediately. Press the backing of the Zune down (make sure headphone jack is aligned) and put the screws and cover back in place."

Some users reported success with this method, but when they plugged their Zune back in to charge, it froze again. Others were concerned with trying the hard reset for fear of turning the Zune into a fancy paperweight. Still others are hinting that Microsoft should compensate Zune users with a free Zune Pass.

A Black Eye for Zune

"This problem is something that never should have made it out of testing. I've been with the Zune Pass since day one and I'm seriously looking into other devices and services due to this. We at least need some kind of acknowledgment or statement from MS that clarifies the issue and puts in place a plan of action," a user named Furious Mittens wrote on the Zune.net forum.

Those comments aren't something Microsoft wants to hear. Indeed, frozen Zunes after the holiday shopping season is not welcome news, according to Phil Leigh, a senior analyst at Inside Digital Media.

"Microsoft has got to close the ground on the iPod, and the only way to do that is with a superior product," Leigh said. "It takes time to recover from something like this. First impressions are important for new buyers, and this is a bad first impression."
    I'm a fag.

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondria View Post
    Woah, thats fucked. At least theres somewhat of a solution. Microsoft fucked up again, but im sure they will fix it somehow....like they did with the xbox's. My zune 120gb seems to be working fine though. Have you tried holding the left button and up for a bit? That will reset it...Just not a hard reset.
    ya i know, my zunes been frozen for like 5 hours now.
    if anyone would like i could record it being frozen and show that none of the buttons work at all.
    i had to let the battery drain to turn it off....
    I'm a fag.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Wow, that is a huge cock up.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP torin_93's Avatar
    Hey read this...
    It may help!
    The Z2K 30 Gig Zune epidemic? - Yahoo! Answers
    My PSP: HERE

OFW>4.01>4.01 M33-2

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    seriously microsoft, failing in the morning of the 31st? maybe new years day would of been more fashionable.
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Sorry carp, that sucks.

Retired PSP Elite Hacker fubar42o's Avatar
    Ripped from ZuneInsider.com

----------

Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year.
    The issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you’re a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device.
    Customers can continue to stay informed via the support page on zune.net (zune.net/support).

We know this has been a big inconvenience to our customers and we are sorry for that, and want to thank them for their patience.

Q: Why is this issue isolated to the Zune 30 device?
    It is a bug in a driver for a part that is only used in the Zune 30 device.

Q: What fixes or patches are you putting in place to resolve this situation?
    This situation should remedy itself over the next 24 hours as the time flips to January 1st.

Q: What’s the timeline on a fix?
    The issue Zune 30GB customers are experiencing today will self resolve as time changes to January 1.

Q: Why did this occur at precisely 12:01 a.m. on December 31, 2008?
    There is a bug in the internal clock driver causing the 30GB device to improperly handle the last day of a leap year.

Q: What is Zune doing to fix this issue?
    The issue should resolve itself.

Q: Are you sure that this won’t happen to all 80, 120 or other flash devices?
    This issue is related to a part that is only used in Zune 30 devices.

Q: How many 30GB Zune devices are affected? How many Zune 30GB devices were sold?
    All 30GB devices are potentially affected.

Q: Will you update the firmware before the next leap year (2012)?
    Yes.

"don't fucking ask me. i don't know..."

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    now you gotta let the battery die and plg it into a power source and it will be ok
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Member PSP User
    Z2K9, i tried the temp fix, and now mine is still frozen, lucky me, it worked for abput 5 hours, then froze again

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sniper_IX3's Avatar
    I just knew deep in my gut microsoft would screw up in a matter of time,thats why i never updated my zune..im still in 2.00 30 gb(2006).

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    iPod<3.

Sometimes I love having an Ipod .

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sniper_IX3's Avatar
    untill u 5 minute over charge it and it freezes.